Aging borderline Hall of Famers

1,509 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCA1
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do these guys get in with current stats or need to do more?
Adam Scott
Lee Westwood
Zach Johnson
Jim Furyk
Bubba Watson

If Fred Couples is the baseline, seems like all pass the test, with Zach and Bubba being the most borderline.
jja79
AG
Johnson and Watson have 2 majors so I'd say they're at least under consideration. The others no. Couples shouldn't be in the HOF. He's good but not an all time great.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Zach and Bubba both have something that none of the others on that list have that makes them most qualified. IMO, if I were to rank them, it's be something like this:

1. Zach 2 majors, Open Championship and Masters both coming from behind
2. Bubba - 2 majors, 2x Masters
3. Adam - 1 major, 1 Players Championship, multiple worldwide wins
4. Furyk - 1 major, all US Tour wins
5. Westwood - no majors, multiple worldwide wins
_lefraud_
AG
Westwood has 41 wins across the globe, and was the #1 ranked golfer in the World at one time. He's also finished every single year (except 2002) ranked no worse than 65 since 1996. He is IN

Adam Scott has 29 wins across the globe, and also was ranked #1 in the World, with a Masters win, I too think he should be IN.

Furyk has 20 wins, and the lone US open in 2003. He's probably in, but my biased decision would be to leave him out, as I don't care for him.

Zach has 15 wins world wide, but never ranked better than 6th in the OWGR. He does have the Masters and Open (at the Old Course) but I don't think that's quite good enough. Out.

Bubba has only 13 wins world wide, 8 of which have come from a total of 3 different venues. The two green jackets make's his case interesting. Not a fan of his really, but I think his odd/unique resume/personality gets him IN.

Funny, I see it opposite.
But I consider the euro tour wins to be equal to pga tour wins, which gives Scott and Westwood more cred.
I get the majors argument, and can't argue that, but if you have 2 majors how many other tournaments should you have won?
Being ranked world #1, Ryder cup records, season long tour titles all should have a decent weighting too.
It's interesting trying to evaluate if Couples is considered the line.
Lefraud,
I agree with your take.
I think Furyk makes it in eventually.
Bubba seems like the least qualified, but he'll probably find another couple of wins and then looks as good as Fred.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Euro tour wins = PGA tour wins?

Have to disagree there. The best in the world play on the PGA. I know guys occasionally play in a Euro event but the competition on a weekly basis is stiffer in the PGA.
Yes, in the last 5 years the pga tour is definitely.
Most of these guys played in an era that was more equal, but no doubt pga tour in last few years has become dominant.
98Ag99Grad
AG
If Colin Montgomery made it, Westwood sure as hell should.

As for the others, I think Scott makes it and Johnson too. Furyk will probably get in. Bubba will be interesting. Right now I'd say no just due to the lack of wins.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Scott's getting in. He has like 15 tour wins and probably another 15 internationally. Masters and Players, Should have gotten more out of his talent but still HOF
Ag_07
AG
Are Adam Scott and Bubba Watson really aging?

I think they've both got a lot of good golf left in them.
HouAggie
AG
I think they all get in. Golf HoF isn't very selective.
GIF Reactor
AG
Interesting. I would have said Watson & Johnson for sure, given they each have 2 majors. I'd be interested to see how many players with 2 or more majors are not in. Maybe it is more common than I think. I don't think Westwood gets left out, due to his quantity of worldwide wins and longevity.
JCA1
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Interesting. I would have said Watson & Johnson for sure, given they each have 2 majors. I'd be interested to see how many players with 2 or more majors are not in. Maybe it is more common than I think. I don't think Westwood gets left out, due to his quantity of worldwide wins and longevity.

Angel Cabrera is the poster boy to test this theory. Crazy resume. Only 3 PGA wins but 2 of them are the Masters and the US Open.
EKUAg
AG
JCA1 said:

Electrical_Ag said:

Angel Cabrera is the poster boy to test this theory. Crazy resume. Only 3 PGA wins but 2 of them are the Masters and the US Open.

3 PGA
5 Euro (2 majors count here too)
1 Asian
46 on other tours

He also has 2 lost playoffs in the Masters.

Roberto De Vicenzo had 8 PGA, 9 Euro, 2 Champions and 212 other tours and is in.

Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
98Ag99Grad
AG
JCA1 said:

Electrical_Ag said:

I think a better comparison would be O'Meara. Had 2 majors and 16 or so wins but took forever to get in. I'd be floored if Cabrera made it.
JCA1
AG
Or how about Jos Maria Olazbal? Only 6 PGA wins but 2 are Masters. He does have a bunch of wins on the Euro tour.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.