Johnny Football playing golf

5,621 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Bond
AggieEyes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tom Hagen
AG
Needs to work on his putting stroke.
watty
AG
Tee to green Johnny's game is better than I expected. He's for real.
'03ag
He tweeted out the other day he was trying to get to a +5. I think it was somewhat tounge in cheek but all I could think was, what would the media circus be like if he somehow qualified for a US open in a few years? Would be fun.

After watching that I've determined it ain't gonna happen. Still light years better than I'll ever be.
watty
AG
Right he's really, really good... but the gap between really, really good and the US Open is huge.
'03ag
Yep. Would be cool to see him a Pro Am or something.

I can see him being as good or better than a Romo or Steph Curry.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Mentioned this on another thread but did anyone notice that the big lefty putts right-handed? I've never seen that in my life.
watty
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Mentioned this on another thread but did anyone notice that the big lefty putts right-handed? I've never seen that in my life.
One of my best friends does that.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

My wife putts left-handed as a righty. Says it makes her take her time and helps her make a better putting stroke.
AggieEyes
AG
If he played more he could to get scratch fairly quickly.

That being said, that's not Dustin Johnson / McIlroy, etc etc level....
watty
AG
AggieEyes said:

I have a feeling he's already better than scratch. That course is a beast and he's +2 through 9 holes with like 3 lip-outs.
E
AG
watty said:

AggieEyes said:

I have a feeling he's already better than scratch. That course is a beast and he's +2 through 9 holes with like 3 lip-outs.
He is a 2 handicap. Can confirm as he mentioned it in a tweet two weeks ago.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Unless he rolls out of bed and shoots 66 with one eye closed, golf is nothing more than a recreation for him.
Bunk Moreland
Ervin Burrell said:

I threw right handed/swung left handed in baseball. I swing right handed in golf. I sometimes like the read on the green viewing it from a lefty's perspective but mostly I just play around with it. I've often considered getting a LH putter and trying.
mazag08
AG
Man he made navigating those holes look easy.
MCAg09
AG
I've seen Romo play a few times and Romo's swing looks more conventional like the pros. That said Johnny is still really good but not good enough to make an open.
Bunk Moreland
I hope a Romo or Manziel pulls a Kramer and tries to get good enough for the senior tour...
AgLA06
AG
Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed watching it.

Seems like another awesome course I'll never have to worry about playing.
nickel
GHIN says he's a 2.3.
Thisguy1
Ervin Burrell said:

I played against a guy in a scramble and he used an old double sided putter. If it broke right to left he would putt right handed and if it was left to right he'd putt left handed. Can't remember what he did on a straight one. He was right handed though.
CapCity12thMan
AG
What tees did they play from?
watty
AG
Supposedly they played one up, which was around 7100 yards. I'm skeptical of some of them though. If yardage was accurate, Johnny hit some 300+ yard 3 woods.
Thisguy1
In Vegas though. I've only played there once but the ball seems like it never comes down
AggieDruggist89
AG
Vegas is at 2000 ft altitude. Ball travels about half club longer.
CapCity12thMan
AG
so, just calculating it all out...

"Back/Blue" tees at Shadow Creek = par 72, 73.2 rating and a 138 slope. Not an easy course, sure.

2.3 handicap calculates out to a 4 course handicap....meaning that only 20% of the time will he shoot 77 or better there.

So, he's +2 through 9...he's right on pace for his handicap, which means he is having a good day and I would say with a slope of 138 - a great day. In non-tournament golf. And there is still 9 more to go.

tap the brakes on him being "scratch". 77 is not scratch. He's above average. +5 will never happen. sorry. a +5 handicap would have to shoot <=69 in 16 of 20 rounds there. A "scratch golfer" would need to shoot 74 or better 16/20 times there.

Quote:

...says every single digit handicap

It's clear the guy is talented, gifted athletically, probably could jump right in on the basketball court or baseball diamond too. We know what he can do in football. We can all count on one hand how many pro athletes thought they could be good enough for some professional level of golf and how many were actually successful? John Smoltz? Tony Romo?
GCP12
AG
Johnny should start a YouTube channel and play golf with famous people. Would probably make a bunch of money
jj9000
AG
Rick Rhoden.

You are correct on all counts above. JFF is good at the game.

He could dedicate the rest of his life to becoming a +5, and it's unlikely he'd ever get there. Not a knock on him at all, it's just that difficult.

Scratch to +5 =/= 5 to Scratch

Exponentially more difficult once you get to a +
AggieDruggist89
AG
GCP12 said:

Johnny should start a YouTube channel and play golf with famous people. Would probably make a bunch of money

I love Johnny but I have no interest in watching him golf nor any other 2 handicapper golf.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jj9000 said:

Rick Rhoden.

He could dedicate the rest of his life to becoming a +5, and it's unlikely he'd ever get there. Not a knock on him at all, it's just that difficult.

Completely agree. Going from 8 handicap to 2 to 3 was not hard. But I'm stuck at 3 right now and kinda scratching my head where I need to improve to get to scratch.
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

jj9000 said:

Rick Rhoden.

Completely agree. Going from 8 handicap to 2 to 3 was not hard. But I'm stuck at 3 right now and kinda scratching my head where I need to improve to get to scratch.
A dedicated 6 months of this will get you there.

If it doesn't get you there, understand your ceiling, and be content with where you are.

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2334981
Gordon McKernan
Part two is out:

CapCity12thMan
AG
my path has gone from being a 1-2 hdcp for many years, and it took a few years to get that to 0. It stayed there for a long time.

I got situated with a few swing changes that has just made me hit the ball much more consistently and reduced my big miss. That was a 2 year process to get to a +2. My hdcp right now is a +3, and the things that got me there are so miniscule, but required the most practice to shave that 1 stroke off. It's definitely strange...I'm now 47, busier than ever with kids, work, etc. yet my hdcp has slowly crept down. I didn't play much in 2019, but plan on a golf busy 2020. I fully expect that hdcp to come back to a +2 or even +1, unless I really start tearing it up. I had a good 6-8 round stretch where I played really well and those scores are about to start falling out of my most recent 20.

My point is - you have to hone in on WHY you aren't scoring better. Keep some stats. Trend it. Some small things put together lead to other area of progress. For the longest time, I thought it was my putting keeping me down, but in retrospect, I was 2 putting a ton because my iron shots were far off. My iron shots were off because I tend to miss the ball on the toe slightly....small setup change and I got that eliminated...better contact, better consistency and better accuracy. The putts per round started to come down and I noticed my avg birdies per round starting going up. Had I not thought through things end to end, I'd likely have just practiced my putting, thinking I could improve my score from 30-40' putts on the green. The stats on those would tell you none of that practice on those long putts would have helped.

It would be interesting to see you play a round to get an idea of what's happening
AgLA06
AG
I wouldn't normally watch something like this, but that was fun to watch. All 4 are great golfers. Their escape ability was amazing.
jja79
AG
Three of our club pros are from Scotland and one is an outstanding player. He regularly shoots in the 60's. For the past two years he's had some status on PGA Tour LatinoAmerica and hasn't made a cut. I think most people greatly underestimate how fantastic the professional player is and how hard it would be for someone in this video to get there.
watty
AG
Johnny already plays a ton. He finished +4. That's a heck of a round. Those greens were firm and sloping. It was really hard to ever get the ball close.

Johnny's 2 index is clearly legit. But as mentioned, there's a huge gap between being a 2 and being on the plus side. You have to be far better than scratch to ever even consider earning money at golf.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.