What are your thoughts on the 16th at the Phoenix Open?

4,455 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chef Demas 2020
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been watching all day and absolutely love the scene. I think if every tournament had just one hole that's similar then more people would tune into golf.

I could understand golf purists disliking it but just curious what others thought.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
For me, one tournament with grandstands full of boorish behavior is enough.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Watching Rahm on the 16th now in his Pat Tillman tribute shoes and Justin Thomas wearing a Lower Merion jersey is pretty cool to see.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jon-rahm-is-paying-homage-to-pat-tillman-and-kobe-bryant-with-shoes-and-ball
Aggie95
AG
I like keeping it unique...makes it more memorable.
Front Range Ag
AG
There's also a whole tournament like that. It's called the Ryder Cup.
07fta07
AG
It's great...for this one tournament. That's their thing and it should be kept that way.
the last of the bohemians
Like most things it was a lot more fun before everyone heard about it
E
AG
Love it
98Ag99Grad
AG
Its grown on me TBH. used to hate it but now think it's fine for this one tourney. Players seem to like it too so whatever.
Rubble
AG
I think it's great on TV. I'll let you know how it is in person after tomorrow.
Mr.Bond
AG
I absolutely love it, I feel like I went to a party and a golf tournament broke out. Golf needs to loosen up a bit more in these type of tournaments. Obviously Augusta will never change nor should it. Majors should remain the same but no reason standard tournaments shouldn't be more of an event for the fan. Golf needs to shake that snooty overall vibe a bit
Just my 2 cents
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

classof08
AG
I'll be the old man yelling at a cloud, but I hate it. It's my least favorite tournament of the year, which is a shame because the course is great.

I get it's their thing, and lots of people like it. It's just not for me and I'm glad it's only one tournament a year.
Chipotlemonger
AG

[Just vote them down and don't quote them. -Staff]
Wildcat
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

For me, one tournament with grandstands full of boorish behavior is enough.

Concur. It's their thing. Let them keep it unique.

That it's the Waste Management Open and all the trash has been contained on the 16th seems apropos.
Tom Hagen
AG
LOL

DannyDuberstein
AG
It's a good bit for one tournament. It would get tiresome if everyone did it.
FirefightAg
AG
I like it for what it is, too much would get old.

The anticipation and lead up to that one hole makes it great if every course had a stadium style par 3 with crazies it would just be lost in the every week shuffle.

I did like the byron and hole 17 kinda had a similar feel just not as crazy obviously
dc509
AG
It works there. Trying to force something like that into other tournaments would be lame. It would also inevitably lead to excessive regulations on behavior at these type of holes.
Rubble
AG
I can say I went. Never went in 16. We got out there about 9am yesterday and followed Woodland's group for the entire front 9. Didn't see a whole lot of golf after that, other than standing behind the 12th tee and watching Webb's HOI.

Once the crowd got there, it turned into a total **** show. I bet 90% of the people out there don't even like golf. We saw college guys having chugging contests with $13 beers and reloading. Insanity is the only way to describe it.

I'm glad I went, but probably won't ever go again.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I'd like to see the hole shortened to add to the excitement.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
BoDog
AG
For those that have gone, is the level of decorum inside 16 ok for a 10 year old? My son really wants to go next year but I wonder what the language is like, etc with a gallery full of drunk golf fans....?
txaggie2012
AG
BoDog said:

For those that have gone, is the level of decorum inside 16 ok for a 10 year old? My son really wants to go next year but I wonder what the language is like, etc with a gallery full of drunk golf fans....?

He's already hearing anything you can think of in school. Take the kid and have fun
Mr.Bond
AG
Cold blooded putt by webb
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Rubble
AG
BoDog said:

The entire golf course if full of drunk people, not drunk golf fans. The golf fans are the ones that aren't drunk laughing at the drunks.

The level of talent, however, is worth going once. I'm not sure I've ever seen that many hot women in one place at one time.
Mr.Bond
AG
I feel awful for Tony

Post removed:
by user
98Ag99Grad
AG
Good for Simpson. Birdied 17 and 18 twice to win. He seems to be putting better than he ever did with the belly putter.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I feel awful for Tony

Seems like a great dude and even better story for coming from nothing, but man, is there any other professional athlete out there right now struggling to break thru (in the W column) more than him? He has to figure it out.
Pahdz
He will win a major this year, and if I had to guess it'll be Augusta
AgLA06
AG
I watched Tony's approach on 18 and declared him the winner on the way out the door for a super bowl party. I had no idea he didn't win until I just opened this thread.

Rewatching the end now to see what the hell happened!
DannyDuberstein
AG
As well as he played all week, he could not find a way to birdie the short 18th in 5 tries and it cost him the tournament
Mr.Bond
AG
17 truly cost him the tournament. A par is essentially a bogey

Bunk Moreland
BoDog said:

Without even having to search, a video of a woman flashing the golfers from the suites & a separate video of a chick double-chugging beer out of somebody's 2 shoes came across my twitter feed over the weekend.

I'd love to be that 10 year old.
Rev98
AG

Quote:

BoDog said:

I would take the kid on Sunday, plenty of families walking around. I was there yesterday at 16, plenty to see still but you don't feel like you are at Spring Break. I also did 17 on Friday, which was probably a better experience IMO, more room to walk but just with older crowd (30y-50y). Saturday is the big day for partying and such, so we stayed away that day.
NColoradoAG
I think they should leave the stands up around 16 year round. Sell $2 beers on Friday-Sunday and let the general public just hang out if they want. I'd love to play that course in September and have a hundred or so drunk people cheering me on.....or relentlessly booing me
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.