Kapaula Plantation Course

2,085 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dcrewint
tamu2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Maui for my honeymoon at the end of Feb. Booked my tee time at the plantation course but now the question is to get a caddy or not.

The only time I've ever played with a caddie was at Bandon and I remember it being pretty awesome, but I felt like never having played Bandon they helped A LOT due to the type of courses they are.

Is the plantation course of that same vein? Those of yall that have played it, did you use a caddie? If you didn't, do you wish you did? And if you did, did you think it was money well spent?
Rubble
AG
It's been 22 years since I played it, but I did not have a caddie. I'm not sure if it was even an option.

In my opinion, it's not a place like Pebble or Bandon, etc., for me to get a caddie.
AustinCountyAg
considering you're not going to walk the Plantation, I would think a caddie wouldn't be necessary
Rubble
AG
This too. I remember being worn the eff out and we were in carts. I'm not sure how the pros walk that thing for a week.
Austintm
Played it about 4 years ago, no caddie necessary.

Be prepared to club up for the wind. On a few holes, I was going up a couple of clubs to account for the wind.

18 is as fun as it looks on TV
dcrewint
3 summers ago is when I played. Didn't need a caddy. Played two times. I shot pretty similar both times. They'll tell you "everything speeds up towards the Oceanside. Pretty good advice for speed. Greens were the areas to focus and don't try to do too much with the driver.
agsalaska
AG
dcrewint said:

3 summers ago is when I played. Didn't need a caddy. Played two times. I shot pretty similar both times. They'll tell you "everything speeds up towards the Oceanside. Pretty good advice for speed. Greens were the areas to focus and don't try to do too much with the driver.
That's where I lose it on long golf trips or once in a lifetime chances. If I have the option of hitting a driver, I am hitting a damn driver.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Austintm
agsalaska said:

dcrewint said:

That's where I lose it on long golf trips or once in a lifetime chances. If I have the option of hitting a driver, I am hitting a damn driver.
If the wind is blowing hard enough, you might be hitting driver on the par 3s

By the way, the Bay Course at Kapalua is nice as well. Palmer course, with some holes right on the water
aginlakeway
AG
tamu2009 said:

Headed to Maui for my honeymoon at the end of Feb. Booked my tee time at the plantation course but now the question is to get a caddy or not.

The only time I've ever played with a caddie was at Bandon and I remember it being pretty awesome, but I felt like never having played Bandon they helped A LOT due to the type of courses they are.

Is the plantation course of that same vein? Those of yall that have played it, did you use a caddie? If you didn't, do you wish you did? And if you did, did you think it was money well spent?
Playing golf on your honeymoon?

Impressive ...
Rubble
AG
aginlakeway said:

tamu2009 said:

Impressive ...

I played the Prince Course and the Makai course on Kauai on my first honeymoon....but maybe there's a reason that marriage didn't last
Austintm
LantanaAg said:

aginlakeway said:

tamu2009 said:

Impressive ...

I played the Prince Course and the Makai course on Kauai on my first honeymoon....but maybe there's a reason that marriage didn't last
It's because you were too exhausted after playing the Prince course. That course was a bear. Wish it would reopen.
tamu2009
AG
Thanks guys, I figured as much for the caddie.

As for getting to play golf on my honeymoon, she's a keeper and we're doing plenty of what she wants to do to make up for it.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
tamu2009 said:

As for getting to play golf on my honeymoon, she's a keeper and we're doing plenty of what she wants to do to make up for it.

Make sure and take her to Merriman's for happy hour then dinner.
Austintm
AgOutsideAustin said:

tamu2009 said:

Make sure and take her to Merriman's for happy hour then dinner.
I second this. Great food, great location/view
tamu2009
AG
Well, I missed the boat on dinner there. We have reservations at Taverna that night, but definitely will be heading there for HH after the round and before dinner.
Yesterday
AG
agsalaska said:

dcrewint said:

Just got back from our Annual guys golf trip. Played three nice courses around Orlando. I hit driver every time and went for every par 5 in two.
agsalaska
AG
03ki11erAG said:

agsalaska said:

dcrewint said:

Just got back from our Annual guys golf trip. Played three nice courses around Orlando. I hit driver every time and went for every par 5 in two.
Absolutely.

I was in Jamaica about three years ago playing White Witch(which is awesome by the way).

There is this one par 4 early in the round that is a 3 iron every time unless you have big balls and can thread the needle. My caddie, a Jamaican in his 30s who was also a sub 80 player, said 'you need to hit a 3 iron.' I looked at him and said 'I didn't come all the way to Jamaica to lay up.' He turned around laughing and in the loudest, strongest Jamaican accent you can imagine, said 'You didn't come here to Jamaica to lay up mon!' and handed me the rented driver. It was freaking hilarious, and something I now say to people all of the time when they are deciding between a driver and an iron.

Dont remember if I pulled the shot off, but I shot 77.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
E
AG
You remember the story in full detail and what you scored, but don't remember if you actually pulled off the shot? I think someone isn't telling the full story and actually bricked it...
agsalaska
AG
So, after typing that, I vaguely remember what happened. I missed the fairway right and had to play back to the fairway. Bogey.

Strangely I have a very good recollection of rounds of golf. I can usually remember details about rounds from years ago. But I cannot remember names of people, oil changes, or anniversaries to save my life. If it wasnt for Outlook Calendar I would be divorced.

On another hole later in the round, that same caddie is over helping my cousin find his ball for about the fifteenth time. I completely misjudged the wind and airmailed a 7 iron from like 155. The caddie comes back over and says 'where did it go mon?' I said right over the flagstick about 20 yards over the green. He said 'what you hit mon?' 'A seven iron.' He said 'noooooo. That's too much club mon!' I said 'yea no **** mon.' He then muttered something about my course management abilities and my cousin before walking off shaking his head.

Imagine having a Jamaican Jim Nantz/Nick Faldo cross following you around the course giving commentary on your abilities and score for the entire round with that thick Bob Marley accent. It was, by far, the funniest most enjoyable round of my life. That guy, and his lady partner, were pure gold.
Yesterday
AG
agsalaska said:

03ki11erAG said:

agsalaska said:

dcrewint said:

Absolutely.

I was in Jamaica about three years ago playing White Witch(which is awesome by the way).

There is this one par 4 early in the round that is a 3 iron every time unless you have big balls and can thread the needle. My caddie, a Jamaican in his 30s who was also a sub 80 player, said 'you need to hit a 3 iron.' I looked at him and said 'I didn't come all the way to Jamaica to lay up.' He turned around laughing and in the loudest, strongest Jamaican accent you can imagine, said 'You didn't come here to Jamaica to lay up mon!' and handed me the rented driver. It was freaking hilarious, and something I now say to people all of the time when they are deciding between a driver and an iron.

Dont remember if I pulled the shot off, but I shot 77.
. I hit 0 greens in two.
oldschool87
AG
No caddie...

Its 300 bucks... no matter what day.

I pretty much got screwed... 40 mph wind and drizzle/rain for about 12 holes. Pretty standard from what they said.

Couple of really good shots just pushed hard into trouble from the wind.

But the greens are not Augusta, its a regular muni, in really nice shape for 300 bucks...
Austintm
03ki11erAG said:

agsalaska said:

dcrewint said:

Nice thread hijack....
Yesterday
AG
Austintm said:

03ki11erAG said:

agsalaska said:

dcrewint said:

Nice thread hijack....

In my defense it was after 12 days and the OP's
Question was answered. But touch

And for some reason texags won't let me save the word touch e.
agsalaska
AG
This is the golf board. For these threads to keep going they have to be hijacked.
dcrewint
That's a comical statement
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.