Proposed - Premier Golf League

2,566 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
cb1919
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/28557251/phil-mickelson-intrigued-idea-star-driven-global-tour

Interesting idea players are getting asked about this week. Saw a quote from Rory that he has been getting asked about it for a few years. I don't know who much steam it will gain.
ORAggieFan
The problem they will have is likely going to be qualifications for other events such as majors, WGC and Ryder Cup. I just don't see players giving up on those opportunities.

Now, many big names have qualified for some or all majors for a while or life, but many have not.
cb1919
AG
I agree on the majors and Ryder cup issues. This basically feels like a season of WGC events. I could see the existing WGC events getting worked into this league, since they aren't directly associated with a single tour right now.
ORAggieFan
cb1919 said:

I agree on the majors and Ryder cup issues. This basically feels like a season of WGC events. I could see the existing WGC events getting worked into this league, since they aren't directly associated with a single tour right now.

Plus it has a team aspect.
_lefraud_
AG
I'd like to see something like this happen, as I hate watching these huge fields week in and week out.

- 2 or 3 tournaments a month (Jan - Aug)
- 70 or so players for the field
- qualify based on point system (Owgr, wins, money, Majors won)

I hate the wrap-around season, and wish the PGA Tour would get back to having a Fall Season/Series with guys trying to earn there way to the Premier League.

Maybe have these guys play a revamped scheduled in the Fall, and throughout the year (sanctioned with the Korn Ferry) but with better payouts or something.

There's maybe 25-30 guys that really move the needle, bring viewers, sponsors (money) to the tour, so allow these guys to play in smaller fields, with bigger purses, and better tee times/schedule.
The Milkman
AG
If you hate these big fields, then every PGA event becomes an opposite field event. Take out the top 40ish of the world out of a standard tour event and it becomes the Puerto Rican open real quick.
_lefraud_
AG
Ok? I'm not proposing or want to see opposite field events like there is now.

But if you're going to have an opposite Korn Ferry/PGAT event the same week as a PGL...let's take this week for example:

- PGL and 70 players play Torrey
- Top 25 Korn Ferry + 75 other PGAT play some tournament that starts on Tuesday, similar to how the Korn Ferry kicks off their season.

Hell, maybe that tournament is also played in the same city as the PGL, to give the Golf Channel (or whoever) rights to broadcast both or whatever.
agsalaska
AG
WTF
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

I hate the wrap-around season, and wish the PGA Tour would get back to having a Fall Season/Series with guys trying to earn there way to the Premier League.
Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that golf season starts with the Farmers Insurance Open and ends with the Tour Championship. The Fall season doesn't really exist in my mind.
ORAggieFan
_lefraud_ said:

But if you're going to have an opposite Korn Ferry/PGAT event the same week as a PGL...let's take this week for example:

- Top 25 Korn Ferry + 75 other PGAT play some tournament that starts on Tuesday, similar to how the Korn Ferry kicks off their season.

Hell, maybe that tournament is also played in the same city as the PGL, to give the Golf Channel (or whoever) rights to broadcast both or whatever.

There is no way the PGA caters to a competing league.

What could work against the PGAT is they don't run any majors. The PGA Champ may cater to them some, but the other three would adjust criteria to get the best players.

That said, don't see it happening unless it's big name old guys like Lefty instead of the Champions Tour.
ORAggieFan
Seven Costanza said:

Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that golf season starts with the Farmers Insurance Open and ends with the Tour Championship. The Fall season doesn't really exist in my mind.

That's pretty much how I view it and when I pay attention.
jja79
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Quote:

The Farmer's was the 15th event of the season which is now more than 1/3 over.
The Lost
_lefraud_ said:

I think his point is that those guys would only play majors/pga which kills every non major tournament.

It's a dumb idea that won't happen.
BarryProfit
Phil wants to miss cuts in more difficult tourneys with tougher fields?
The Milkman
AG
Exactly. The Farmers, The Memorial etc etc would al have the equivalent of a fall event's field. You really want that so that the top players can play in a 54 hole no cut money grab? How is that good for golf entertainment

If that was the case then the highest ranked player in the world you'd see at a PGA event (other than a major) would be Andrew Putnam.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Absolutely terrible idea.
oldflyer
AG
I think Greg Norman tried to put together something like this about 25 to 30 years ago. The PGA almost banned him from the tour IIRC.
_lefraud_
AG
We are discussing two completely different models here...

What I propose, with regards to a "Premier Golf League", is that the PGAT work within their own schedule/tournaments to have an "upper league" if you will. Think of it as an extension of the WGC events. The Farmers, Bay Hill, the Memorial, would/could all be a part of this "upper league" where only 70 or 80 golfers would be entered. Think Tiger's schedule (ducks head).

Weeks where this event is taking place, a co-sanctioned PGAT/Korn Ferry event can take place, again, since there will be a tournament scheduled already. Or better yet, don't have ANY tournament that week.

I guess I don't understand why so many of you want to see 120 player fields, where the top draw is Matt Kuchar...

I want to see more events like the Memorial on a weekly basis.
The Milkman
AG
Why would the PGA Tour limit the number of players in an event? Or even worse for them, limit the number of events? All that will do is have less of their tour making a paycheck. The Harry Higgs and Collin Morawaka's of the world are trying to get on TV, make cuts and create a career. No players would ever allow that to happen.

They've already designated most of those you are describing as "elevated status" and increased their purses and I believe now include more FedEx cup points for them.

I get that many people only want to watch Tiger, Rory and JT every week, but that would be awful for the Tour's product.
mazag08
AG
I like my idea of a match play league better.

Get rid if the fall portion of the tour.

The Fed Ex Cup wraps up at the end of August. The Match Play league would start in mid September and go through mid to late December.

There would be 16 teams, 6 players deep. There would be 12 weeks of tournaments. Each week each team would select 4 guys to participate (this would give guys a chance to take weeks off, strategize their lineup, etc). It would be 4 days of match play. The top 8 teams at the end of the season would play in a playoff tournament somewhere like Pebble Beach. Winner would be announced, then shortly after, PGA tour would tee off in Hawaii.

Teams could even be assigned to cities. The first year could be assigning captains to states and having a full open draft of available and qualified players (likely bottom half of PGA type talent with maybe some top Korn Ferry guys and recent college grads).

Potential Teams due to current fall schedule tournaments within these states:
West Virginia
Mississippi
California
Nevada
Texas
Georgia
Florida

Other potentials due to fall/winter climate
Oklahoma
Alabama
South Carolina
North Carolina
Arkansas
Tennessee
Louisiana
Arizona
Virginia
Kentucky
Missouri
Kansas

It would give regional exposure and rooting interest during the "boring" part of the golf season. It would give guys with little name recognition a chance to generate regional appeal with fans.
jja79
AG
Fewer tournaments and fewer players making a living seems counter productive to growing the game.
JCA1
AG
Reminds me of the USFL. Basically, they're going to try and moneywhip the big boys into picking them over the PGA Tour. It's gonna take a really large bankroll to do that. I'd be surprised if they can cobble together the necessary money to withstand the multi-year growing pains of getting it off the ground.
bagger05
AG
Rumor is it's backed by Saudi interests.
JCA1
AG
bagger05 said:

Rumor is it's backed by Saudi interests.

Well, maybe they will have enough money . . .
Rubble
AG
Rory is out...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-shoots-down-premier-golf-league-im-out?mbid=nl_021920_daily_hitlist&CNDID=%%CUST_ID%%
cb1919
AG
It was starting to sound like the league was gaining steam and then.....Rory is out.
AggieDruggist89
AG
oldflyer said:

I think Greg Norman tried to put together something like this about 25 to 30 years ago. The PGA almost banned him from the tour IIRC.

Yup
EKUAg
AG
If you play the league you cannot play PGA or European tours.

Not sure the league will be given world ranking points. Both PGA and European tours have seat at table in giving those out.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Rory just said on the golf channel that he's out. He has no interest in the new league.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.