PGA Tour somewhat attempt a slow play policy

1,830 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Milkman
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't see anyone make mention of this yet so thought I'd get the conversation going. Slow play is always a fun topic on here.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/01/14/pga-tour-announces-significant-enhancements-pace-of-play-policy.html

I think this is such a half witted attempt at looking like they are doing something about it. There are so many areas where there can be leniency. My two biggest problems:

1) Why is the observation list kept private? This needs to be made public so the guys can face some public outcry and shaming.
2) There are times per shot except when they are "absent a good reason for doing so". What is a good reason? Its a really tough shot? I want to explore 10 different drop options?

Best part: player's time will be individually kept. They cant fall back on (or be held accountable for) the slow play of the other players in their group.

I doubt we will actually see them dishing out penalties, but I hope I'm wrong.
CapCityAg89
AG
With data and mobile phone technology available, this just doesn't seem hard. Give the volunteers that walk with every group an app. Track and transmit time for each group. That could be passive and would build a database of pace of play - in a specific round you'd be affected +/- by the guys around you, but over the course of the season, we'd KNOW who the pace violators are.

Hell, get a volunteer who does nothing but track time - he marks in his app the players position on the hole and when he hits. That builds even more specific times.

Then post that data on the scoreboard like par. They've got to have a decent idea what it takes to play - it'll be longer for Augusta or a Bethpage Open just like par and slope are different from course to course. No big deal.

Then start hitting these guys with immediate penalties - you miss your clock, that's a stroke and re-set to zero. They were *******s to the guys that used long putters and that was far less of a problem. I have no sympathy for slow pros because they encourage slow amateurs, but the pros are only slow for 70 strokes give or take; amateurs are slow for 100.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

With data and mobile phone technology available, this just doesn't seem hard. Give the volunteers that walk with every group an app. Track and transmit time for each group. That could be passive and would build a database of pace of play - in a specific round you'd be affected +/- by the guys around you, but over the course of the season, we'd KNOW who the pace violators are.

Hell, get a volunteer who does nothing but track time - he marks in his app the players position on the hole and when he hits. That builds even more specific times.

Then post that data on the scoreboard like par. They've got to have a decent idea what it takes to play - it'll be longer for Augusta or a Bethpage Open just like par and slope are different from course to course. No big deal.

This is beautiful. Wish we could apply to public golf too.
CapCityAg89
AG
I think the clubs with gps in cart can track this stuff. Stats are tools.
jj9000
AG
This is a step in the right direction.

The snails know who they are, as do the rest of the field. Hitting the snails with fines hasn't amounted to jack.

Hitting them with penalty strokes will change behavior.

Sure, JB, you can plum-bob for 4 minutes, but it will cost you a shot, so you might as well putt the ball.
birdman
I'm not sure about the observation list. I want it public as well. Just make it simple. Everybody Monday, the most recent tournament gets added to the spreadsheet on PGA website.

If that information is being sent to the players, then we'll get it. There are enough players that hate the slow play. If Brooks Koepka is given the list, we'll get it within a day.
KC_Ag14
AG
I'm pretty tough on the Tour at times. But as jj said, this is a step in the right direction. If nothing else, they're making a concerted effort to get the data. Numbers don't lie - and it will put into perspective what a lot of players and fans have been crying foul about. Just hope they actually do something with the data once they have it.
agsalaska
AG
I agree. But I think they need to add another zero to the end of the fines in order for it to work.

I also think they should be allowed one or two exceptions a round. Maybe they did and I just didnt read it right.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
KC_Ag14
AG
For sure, another 0 at the minimum. With the amount of money they make on Tour now, I wonder if a monetary fine is even a deterrent to most. I think it has to be a stroke(s) since that brings FedEx Cup and WGR points into the equation.
agsalaska
AG
I think it is probably a deterrent to rookies and guys that float around the 125 mark. But it is certainly not a deterrent for the top 100 players or so. Probably more than that.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Post removed:
by user
dallasiteinsa02
CastleRock said:

CapCityAg89 said:

I have no sympathy for slow pros because they encourage slow amateurs

I disagree completely. The idiots in jeans I see out on the munis are not playing slow because they watched pros play slow. They play slow because they're completely unaware of the world.

But they sure can hustle to the next tee box to start the entire process over again.
grego
AG
Quote:

They can already do this with ShotLink. Pretty sure it was one of the tools to be used farther down the list once a problem has been identified.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
DeChambeau the human rain delay, received a slow play warning on the back nine on Saturday at the Dubai Desert Classic. He then bogeyed his last four holes.
The Milkman
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

DeChambeau the human rain delay, received a slow play warning on the back nine on Saturday at the Dubai Desert Classic. He then bogeyed his last four holes.

Well done Euro Tour. They take things seriously.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.