Shaft Flex for Irons

2,716 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
PowerFade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am getting back in to playing a lot more frequently, at least twice a month. I was playing only 4-5 times a year. I am now looking at new clubs. I have found a few I like and have gone to get "fitted" at a couple of the big box stores that use a 7 iron and launch information. My current clubs are around 17 years old and are true temper dynamic gold R300 shafts. I am being told I should be hitting a stiff shaft based on swing speed (~78-82 mph with a 7 iron).

I know todays shafts are often lighter and the kbs shafts I have been trying have a higher launch so a different kick point but it seems to be in my head that when I am using a stiff shaft I try to swing harder than when I am using a regular shaft. I don't anticipate my swing to get much faster. I am looking for more distance at this point as I have lost probably 1/2 a club length as I have picked things back up.

Has anyone gone against their suggested shaft flex and been happy with it? Am I just letting it get into my head too much on shaft flex? Does the weight difference (being lower weight) of some of the newer shafts make stiff shafts more like the regular shafts I am currently hitting?

I do hit a stiff flex in my driver and hit around 240-250 fairly consistently with it. I just cant seem to get my head around hitting stiff shift iron shafts.
AggieEyes
AG
I'm right there with you.

~85 mph with 7 iron.

~116 mph with Driver

I just got fitted for the first time this past Friday @ Club Champion.

They recommended:

Project X Steeel 5.5 Shaft for Irons
Fujikura pro 2.0 6s for the Driver.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
AggieEyes said:

~85 mph with 7 iron.

~116 mph with Driver

They recommended:

116 club head speed with a driver should be x flex but I guess it's personal preference
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG

Based on this from the manufacturer you should probably be on the 2.0 6x
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
In reply to aggieeyes
Irons
Probably the x100's soft stepped or the s300 hard stepped would be my recommendation.
AggieEyes
AG
Great chart. Thank you Rusty!
jj9000
AG
AggieEyes said:

~85 mph with 7 iron.

~116 mph with Driver

They recommended:

116 mph with Driver is off.

PX 5.5 flexes out to 6.0 on the old Rifle scale (R+), and they play firm to stated flex.

A general rule of thumb is your Driver Swing Speed is roughly 15 mph faster than your 6 iron Swing Speed.

116 MPH with Driver would put you in the TX flex for Driver, which typically correlates with 6.5-7.0 in PX steel.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'll agree with that, a 116 driver swing speed should put your 6 iron 100 ish.
jj9000
AG
If you're in DFW or Houston, go to the PGA Superstore and ask one of the reps if you can get on the Mizuno Optimizer.

Once they set you up, you'll hit 3-4 balls with a shaft fitted into whatever Mizuno head you want.

The output of the Optimizer will tell you the top 3 shafts that are best suited for your swing based on Swing Speed, Tempo, Toe Down, and Release. Every swing is different, so basing a shaft choice on Swing Speed alone is misleading.

TT R300 are heavy for R flex shafts. There are tons on both steel and graphite out there, so get your recommended shafts and go from there.
PowerFade
AG
jj9000 said:

If you're in DFW or Houston, go to the PGA Superstore and ask one of the reps if you can get on the Mizuno Optimizer.

Once they set you up, you'll hit 3-4 balls with a shaft fitted into whatever Mizuno head you want.

The output of the Optimizer will tell you the top 3 shafts that are best suited for your swing based on Swing Speed, Tempo, Toe Down, and Release. Every swing is different, so basing a shaft choice on Swing Speed alone is misleading.

TT R300 are heavy for R flex shafts. There are tons on both steel and graphite out there, so get your recommended shafts and go from there.
I am in Austin but there is a PGA Superstore here. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Once you find your optimum shaft, try and get it out on a range to see the flight in the air before buying if you can as well
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.