Byron Nelson leaving Trinity Forest

6,579 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agsalaska
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/pga-tour-says-att-byron-nelson-tournament-will-move-after-2020/2290758/

Not totally surprised this is happening, but I'm surprised it happened so quickly.
Bunk Moreland
Woah.
Mr.Bond
AG
Came here to post this. This is pretty shocking to me. But I said from day 1 that the course had nothing about it which made it special or. Memorable
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

cadetjay02
AG
I guess they can go back to Las Colinas if they want. I know they have had Korn Ferry Tour events or whatever it's called at TPC Craig Ranch, is it good enough to host a PGA Tour event?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not surprising at all. Was a terrible match at TF. The only question was how quickly.

The Tee Box hinted at this possibility a few weeks ago. There is some property by the TPC that was only used for Nelson overflow and was on the market, then suddenly taken off recently without explanation. Some folks at 4 Seasons were recently dropping a few hints to Rosengarden about getting it back at some point too. And most importantly, Salesmanship Club fundraising absolutely crashed with the move and that's how they fund that school. We're talking down by half. I think they got desperate and flexed some muscle to help make it happen.

Big picture, I think it will go back to 4 Seasons until the new PGA course in Frisco is ready. The Star nearby will help a lot.
agsalaska
AG
This may not be entirely fair because I have never actually been on the property at Trinity Forest, but it had to have been the worst course on tour the last two years. The fans hated the change. The players thought the course was a joke. And it looked terrible on TV.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
92TXAG
AG
thank god; the minute the Nelson left TPC Las Colinas, the parties & vibe that made this an "event" which also hosted a golf tournament evaporated overnight

most homeowners along the course lost a lot of revenue, too
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
good. went first year and said i'd never go back.

look forward to las colinas.
Yesterday
AG
Mayor Rawlings just had to have an event in Dallas. Damn the logistics. TPC LC is not a great golf course but it had everything else that TF did not. TPC LC had the four seasons that put up players families for the week. TF had a dump and bad traffic.
bagger05
AG
Agree that it'll go back to Las Colinas until the course in Frisco is done.
dc509
AG
TF is going to be a public course one of these days.
92TXAG
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Mayor Rawlings just had to have an event in Dallas. Damn the logistics. TPC LC is not a great golf course but it had everything else that TF did not. TPC LC had the four seasons that put up players families for the week. TF had a dump and bad traffic.

funny how the city of Dallas passes on revitalizing SE Dallas with a $ignificant contribution from the Hall of State Trust who owns the State Fair grounds (cotton bowl), but the float tax payer bonds to "revitalize" the southern sector with a private golf club that 99% of Dallas taxpayers will never play and / or don't have an interest in playing...another govt boondoggle that fails...lol #typical
Gladiator 96
AG
I went every year for about the last 5 years at Las Colinas before the switch. I went the first year to Trinity Forest but not last year.

The atmosphere at Las Colinas was so much better overall. Available shade at Trinity Forest was almost non-existent, which made bearing the heat pretty difficult.

I will admit I am a bit biased because I work only a mile from Las Colinas.
Bunk Moreland
Did all the hot tail follow the move to TF? If not that's reason enough to move it back.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nope. The party scene did not follow it to the scorching landfill.

Another factor is that it just looked terrible on tv. Every hole was hard to picture on the broadcast and seemed the same. There was no cover for equipment, etc. Nothing about it drew interest to watch or go out there.
HouAggie2007
Man I hope we aren't able to replace that name with turner and say the same thing in a few years but I'm not holding my breath
Bunk Moreland
Well that sucks. Haven't been in a few years. Wasn't my favorite tourney to attend but it was always fun enough at Las Colinas.
Deluxe
AG
I could be wrong but I don't think the Frisco PGA compound will be in the plans for the Byron. That facility will be run by the PGA of America, separate from the PGA Tour. Maybe the two will reach an agreement to play the tournament there but typically they don't see eye to eye on much.

Hopefully they keep it reasonably close to the city. TPC Las Colinas isn't ideal from a pure golf course standpoint, but it seems to get alot of other factors in hosting a tournament right. Basically the opposite of Trinity Forest.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, everything about the 4 Seasons was perfect except the course itself. They treat the players and their families like kings and the onsite accommodations for the families are difficult to beat. And it's not a bad course. Mostly just extremely generic and forgettable, but there are worse things to be than that.
oldflyer
AG
92TXAG said:

03ki11erAG said:

funny how the city of Dallas passes on revitalizing SE Dallas with a $ignificant contribution from the Hall of State Trust who owns the State Fair grounds (cotton bowl), but the float tax payer bonds to "revitalize" the southern sector with a private golf club that 99% of Dallas taxpayers will never play and / or don't have an interest in playing...another govt boondoggle that fails...lol #typical
This. I never understood how anyone believed that this was anything but the city building a place for the rich movers and shakers in Dallas to play golf. I doubt that building either Trinity Forest or Dallas National in the southern sector has done anything for the population that is around them.
The Milkman
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, everything about the 4 Seasons was perfect except the course itself. They treat the players and their families like kings and the onsite accommodations for the families are difficult to beat. And it's not a bad course. Mostly just extremely generic and forgettable, but there are worse things to be than that.
Hence why the players hated Trinity. They got pampered at the four seasons and got to play a course that was familiar and comfortable to them. They dont like to be taken out of a comfort zone.
agsalaska
AG
It's been ages since I last played the TPC. But I have played it many times including competitively. I never really understood the argument against the golf course. It's not Colonial or anything, but I dont remember anything really wrong with it. A lot of courses these guys play are nothing special architecturally. Yet it always seems to be at the very bottom of those lists. What is it exactly about the course that they didnt like?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
CapCity12thMan
AG
My brother lived inside the TPC LC course (between #3 green and #4 tee) for about 10 years. Was such a fun event when you could wake up, and walk out to the action, not to mention having great parking. I am gonna bet that players looked at that event in the following fashion:

1) starts a 2-week stint (when Colonial was back to back) where they could drive 30 mins to the next tour stop and not have to worry about airport travel
2) nice hotel/pool for the family to travel along with
3) legend of golf Mr. Nelson
4) social scene on/off the course
5) quality of the course itself

The tournament itself, as a total package is a good event, not great. Tournament lost its identity when Nelson died...it got euthanized when it went to such a strange non-descript golf course not well suited for hosting an event (from what I understand).

Again, likely the ones that got hurt the most were the salesmanship club and all that it does.
Yesterday
AG
agsalaska said:

It's been ages since I last played the TPC. But I have played it many times including competitively. I never really understood the argument against the golf course. It's not Colonial or anything, but I dont remember anything really wrong with it. A lot of courses these guys play are nothing special architecturally. Yet it always seems to be at the very bottom of those lists. What is it exactly about the course that they didnt like?

Been saying this for years. It's surrounded by bland office complexes but the course is pretty good.
birdman
One of the complaints for years was the two course tournament. They stopped that awhile ago. Players always bellyache when multiple courses are used in tournament.

I don't care what they think. As a fan, I love having two or three courses in a tournament.

I also think players hated the "obligation" to play the tournament as long as Byron was alive.
Gig-Em2003
AG
That course doesn't need to exist now does it? Will it fold entirely? Can't imagine it has a robust membership.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

That course doesn't need to exist now does it? Will it fold entirely? Can't imagine it has a robust membership.

home of smu golf and altus performance i believe.
agsalaska
AG
ruddyduck said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

Yea but both of those things could change as fast as the PGA event did. Especially SMU golf. Hell they have probably been looking for an excuse.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Seems like a terrible spot for SMU golf given they are surrounded by 10 good to great private clubs in closer proximity.
dc509
AG
I would imagine that the practice area is a major factor in deciding where SMU Golf's home course is. SMU also spent a few million on Trinity Forrest.

Also, the private clubs surrounding it don't necessarily want a golf team taking the practice area and tee times away from members.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
agsalaska said:

ruddyduck said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

Yea but both of those things could change as fast as the PGA event did. Especially SMU golf. Hell they have probably been looking for an excuse.

i think i heard cameron mccormick say they had like 60 acres or so of practice area out there and a pretty spectacular/state of the art set up out there that they spent a fortune building.

i don't think it's as easy as just picking up and moving for them.
schwabbin
AG
Their membership is extremely small and it's what they wanted when they built the course. I believe they're less than 100 members. Spieth and Romo included.
92TXAG
AG
SMU has a relatively-new facility at DAC and they have "access" virtually wherever they want...

One issue about TF is the commute to that part of town and there's been a big deal made by the girl's team, especially this time of year when there are fewer daylight hours.

This venue was a bad sell from the beginning. The City of Dallas received a lot of pressure from the tournament sponsor, AT&T, and the leverage they employed with their lobbying-arm. Once again, Dallas gets screwed due to weak leadership.
Quinn
AG
92TXAG said:

SMU has a relatively-new facility at DAC and they have "access" virtually wherever they want...

One issue about TF is the commute to that part of town and there's been a big deal made by the girl's team, especially this time of year when there are fewer daylight hours.

This venue was a bad sell from the beginning. The City of Dallas received a lot of pressure from the tournament sponsor, AT&T, and the leverage they employed with their lobbying-arm. Once again, Dallas gets screwed due to weak leadership.
Does the city still have a financial commitment left to contribute/pay or has it already been given to the club?
92TXAG
AG
good question; the land was basically a wash (no pun intended for that landfill)...but the city will never cease to tax the citizens
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.