Patrick Reed - Cease-and-Desist

8,495 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
KC_Ag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.si.com/golf/2020/01/10/patrick-reed-letter-cheating-brandel-chamblee

Dude had his attorney send Brandel a cease-and-desist letter so he'll stop calling him a "cheater". Talk about Charmin-soft. What a fall from grace this guy has had. Captain America to Captain Asshat.
AggieEyes
AG
Massive pudgey ******... Known cheater... Nothing new...
Wildcat
AG
Does such a letter have any weight at all? Reed was, in fact, penalized for improving his lie. The only thing Reed could potentially do is file a civil suit. I can't imagine such a suit being successful.

The Grinder (99)
AG
I don't watch a ton of golf, so I was unaware of this. Thanks for posting. I hate cheaters. This guy is such a bad character. I bet if Bobby were alive he'd have to consider inviting him back to the Masters.

The Milkman
AG
All this could have been avoided had the TOUR just suspended him, but they wont do that because they are spineless. They'll suspend Robert Garrigus for 3 months for smoking weed, but not Reed for hurting the actual integrity of their product. And by trying to downplay it and make it go away has resulted in it continuing to be a story and a talking point.
KC_Ag14
AG
The Milkman said:

All this could have been avoided had the TOUR just suspended him, but they wont do that because they are spineless. They'll suspend Robert Garrigus for 3 months for smoking weed, but not Reed for hurting the actual integrity of their product. All by trying to downplay it and make it go has resulted in it continuing to be a story and a talking point.

Exactly. Just goes back to the Tour trying to shine a light on every golfer being a "class act". You can't fake integrity but you can sure use the media to spin it. Listening to Hicks on Golf Channel at Kapalua talk about "everything Patrick Reed has been through the last few weeks".... nauseating. He did it to himself!!!
The Milkman
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

The Milkman said:

All this could have been avoided had the TOUR just suspended him, but they wont do that because they are spineless. They'll suspend Robert Garrigus for 3 months for smoking weed, but not Reed for hurting the actual integrity of their product. All by trying to downplay it and make it go has resulted in it continuing to be a story and a talking point.

Exactly. Just goes back to the Tour trying to shine a light on every golfer being a "class act". You can't fake integrity but you can sure use the media to spin it. Listening to Hicks on Golf Channel at Kapalua talk about "everything Patrick Reed has been through the last few weeks".... nauseating. He did it to himself!!!
Amen to that. They try to push this narrative so hard.

You've got Slugger calling him a "gentleman" and you get crap like this from Jay Monahan:

Quote:

"Golf is a game of honor and integrity, and you've heard from Patrick," Monahan said. "I've had an opportunity to talk to Patrick at length, and I believe Patrick when he says that [he] did not intentionally improve [his] lie. And so you go back to that moment, and the conversation that he had with [rules official] Slugger [White], and the fact that a violation was applied and he agreed to it, and they signed his card and he moved on.

"To me, that was the end of the matter."
How often did a commish like David Stern just take the players word for it? Stand up for the rest of the players on TOUR
ORAggieFan
Reed's attorney is saying he'd have been DQ'd if he cheated and was only assessed the two stroke penalty.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Well he wasn't suspended because they dont think he cheated. He got his 2 strokes and went on. Should Tiger have been suspended for his bad drop in the Masters? Can you prove tiger didn't knowingly make a bad drop? Of course not. He got his 2 strokes and went on playing, just like Reed. If this was anyone else, it'd be old news but I understand his history and rumors that have followed him.
BreNayPop
AG
I can't stand chamblees self righteous ass... and reed did try to cheat- but he was assessed his penalty and corrected. He took his lumps publically and from fans. Chamblee beating the cheater drum at this point is dumb and he needs to shut his mouth. Reed needs to learn his lesson.
Austintm
Chamblee is an arrogant ******bag with marginal talent

Reed is a bigger arrogant ******bag with more talent.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Galleries gonna give him the full Monty treatment. Deservedly so. Don't complain about noise in your backswing.
JCA1
AG
As I understand it, Chamblee's point (and the reason he keeps railing on it) is his sense that the self-enforced code of honor in golf is eroding and being replaced with a "catch me if you can" attitude.

He's appalled by this development and thinks Reed is a prime example. Thus, simply "accepting the punishment" when caught doesn't satisfy him because the whole point is to do the right thing even when no one is looking. He thinks without a reputational hit for things like this, more and more will decide the benefits of trying to cheat outweigh the risks. He's trying to change this calculus.

Not sure I would make this my cause celebre but I get his point.
Diego
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
This cease and desist crap is only going to draw it out. Freshens up the news cycle
KC_Ag14
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Well he wasn't suspended because they dont think he cheated. He got his 2 strokes and went on. Should Tiger have been suspended for his bad drop in the Masters? Can you prove tiger didn't knowingly make a bad drop? Of course not. He got his 2 strokes and went on playing, just like Reed. If this was anyone else, it'd be old news but I understand his history and rumors that have followed him.

I disagree that they don't think he cheated. I think they do think he cheated, and are too gutless to address it in the manner that it needs to be for fear of the PR hit that the Tour would take. Which, IMO, I don't think would be that big! They've just created this huge narrative that the Tour has zero scumbags playing on it, and it's just not the case. Sometimes you have to make an example out of someone that it won't be tolerated.
dcrewint
I think golf is quite different than other sports with being "self-regulated". I think there might be several ways one view Reed's actions. 1.) Cheating in the sense a soccer or basketball player sells a foul or flop. 2.) An unfair advantage that everyone knows you shouldn't take like steroids(a corked bat in baseball or PEDs).

I'm sure there are situations not caught on camera on the PGA that players call on themselves or get away with. I believe Reed being involved multiple times along with the rumors following him from college makes it difficult for people to see it as a mistake vs. a deliberate cheat. His positioning on the topic only increases the judgement from the public.

There are rules in sports that penalize or punish. I think the PGA should be outspoken and clear on what makes it penalizing (addition of strokes or the like) versus punishing (suspended, banned, fined, etc....). I think something needs to occur mainly because the bigger effect could fall within the amateur, college and junior golfing ranks. There are plenty of cameras on tour but far less cameras and officials to keep players honest in the lower ranks. As much as we want that to fall upon the individual golfer's moral compass the problem with that is moral compasses are much more blurred nowadays.
dcrewint
"Careful of the Reeds" - how ironic.

The standard some would hope for out of Reed that we may never see. In the midst of a full swing he could recognize and feel the slightest touch.
dc509
AG
Reed obviously did improve his lie, but Brandal Chamblee is such a little twit that I'm glad he was sent a cease and desist.
Post removed:
by user
Duckhook
AG
third coast.. said:

I completely missed the reed cheating story line. What happened and when?

http://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3081535
dbtexasag05
Where was this outrage when the gallery moved a massive boulder for Tiger Woods? That move was almost celebrated by people.

I'm not saying what Reed did wasn't wrong but there seems to be some irrational hate towards him.
ORAggieFan
dbtexasag05 said:

Where was this outrage when the gallery moved a massive boulder for Tiger Woods? That move was almost celebrated by people.

I'm not saying what Reed did wasn't wrong but there seems to be some irrational hate towards him.

Rocks are allowed to be moved if the ball isn't moved as a result. Obviously this is extreme and rare, but allowed.

Also, Tiger is probably the most ripped on golfer ever, including by me. But, people don't think he's a cheat like Reed.
BigHitterDaLama
No one is ever going to associate the words "Pure Class" with Reed the way they did with Davis in that segment. Makes one think about your legacy as an individual....golfer or not.
the last of the bohemians
Chamblee is easily twice as arrogant as Reed without any golf success to back it up...
Would be different if it was Faldo or J Miller talking smack
Marauder Blue 6
AG
As long as the rule allows for "intent", there
will always be a gray area that players like Reed take advantage of. IMO, he deserves every bit of scrutiny and feedback coming his way.
bagger05
AG
Chamblee has a history of saying outrageous crap to get noticed and make the story about him. Whatever points he has to make are often overshadowed by how he delivers it. He comes across as trying to be shocking so he can be the center of attention rather than the issue being discussed. Overall I simply don't believe Chamblee is a sincere person so I don't care what he has to say. If he ever issues a strong opinion, I often assume whatever he's talking about is not that big of a deal and is being blown out of proportion.

I saw the video of the Reed thing and it looks really bad. Certainly looks like it was on purpose.

Had I not been paying attention, after hearing Chamblee's outrage over it I would figure it wasn't that big of a deal.
AustinCountyAg
This morning while playing tournament course at woodlands CC we were waiting on first tee for the group in front to clear and guess who walked up to the putting green while we were waiting? Yes Patrick Reed.

Of course me and my two buddies decided we need to approach him and introduce ourselves. The dude was super nice and friendly. Took off his hat while shaking hands and introduced himself to each of us individually. Stood around and talked for about three minutes. Super nice and seemed very genuine the whole time.
EMY92
AG
You didn't ask him about using a foot wedge?
agsalaska
AG
I know one thing. I'm glad every shot I take is not recorded by 4 cameras.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Seriously though. Sometimes when I'm addressing a ball, especially in the rough, I wonder what it must be like to have a gallery and multiple cameras right there ready to see an oops.
dbtexasag05
Just so we are clear, we are calling this a "rock"

https://www.pgatour.com/video/2019/01/29/legends-of-the-green--fans-move-boulder-for-tiger-woods-in-1999.html

In this case Reed should have asked the gallery to move the sand for him.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I like Reed. Actually I like him a lot. Don't care what anyone says. Love his moxie and the way he took down Rory at the Ryder Cup. Looking forward to seeing him do it again many years to come.
EKUAg
AG
The color commentator at the time wondered how that "rock" could be a loose impediment when it was slightly in the ground.
aggiedent
AG
I have a patient that got to meet and play with Reed at Augusta Pines. Said Reed was nothing but a pleasure to be with all day. That was early last year.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.