World Handicap System

2,285 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAGGIE10
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Figured a thread on the new system may be worth it. I just read this article, which I found pretty interesting. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/voices-the-flaw-in-the-new-world-handicap-system-dean-knuth

Quote:

Let me try to apply this to real-world scenarios. Living near San Diego, I've explored a large sample size of courses in Southern California and found a male golfer with a 14.1 Handicap Index under the old USGA system has a range of course handicaps from 12 to 18 with an average course handicap of 15. Under the WHS, due to the par adjustment, his range now varies from -1 to 22 with an average course handicap of 11.6, effectively giving him more than three shots less in the process. It's why, to me, the WHS produces an unacceptably large course handicap variation for the same ability player. (An aside: Scratch golfers are no longer 0 handicaps everywhere. They could be playing anywhere from a plus 12 to a 6 handicap.)

Worth reading the whole thing, but picked out an interesting paragraph.

Obviously a lot more to discuss.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I can hardly keep up with a regular GHIN, I don't need something twice as varied and complicated
ORAggieFan
Here is a fun one today. Entered in my index (26), Slope of 129, course rating 69, par 70 (used to only need the slope and index.

It suggested my course adjusted handicap was a 75. Shockingly my opponent wouldn't give me 75 strokes. His 15 index gave us a 19 course adjusted.
Yesterday
AG
USGA always looking to fix something.
GDP
The new website and app still have some bugs in my experience with it so far.
With those numbers provided, you should have a course handicap of 29 under the new system.

Some things seem good about the new system
(net double bogey max)
(and it allows for easy play from different tees)

I guess time will tell.

However, Sandbaggers gonna sandbag regardless.
Don't lose the match on the first tee
Gig-Em2003
AG
I tried reading the article above and went cross-eyed.

Has anyone had a PCC adjustment yet? I've played two rounds this year where I would consider conditions tougher that average but there's nothing. Plenty of rounds were played on the course on those days as well.

Is PCC a mathematic equation or do the club pros make some arbitrary adjustment if they see fit?
Rubble
AG
I'm curious of this myself. How does it know there is bad weather or punched greens or whatever these factors are?
grego
AG
Anyone else's course handicap go up upon converting? Mine went up one and so did just about everyone else's. This is all folks at one club though so it may be course specific.
jgh85Ag
AG
From what I understand, a pcc is adjusted when a large number of golfers enter their scores for a particular course and date. If the scores taken all together are higher or lower than the indexes would indicate, then a pcc is applied. It is system generated.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
jgh85Ag
AG
Course handicap is not that hard to calculate.

Index x slope/113 + (par - course rating)

If the app is giving weird results, try this
https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
ORAggieFan
jgh85Ag said:

Course handicap is not that hard to calculate.

Index x slope/113 + (par - course rating)

If the app is giving weird results, try this
https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html

That's exactly what I had used. Looks like it's been updated.
TXAGGIE10
TXAGGIE10
TXAGGIE10 said:

I've never had a handicap index. I only plan to play local, no overseas. Does the GHIN with TGA reciprocate with WHS? Or are they two separate systems?
Rubble
AG
It's all one system now
TXAGGIE10
LantanaAg said:

It's all one system now
Thank you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.