First Fitting Hints?

2,426 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oldschool87
5thBatt96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I have my first golf club fitting on Tuesday at Club Champion in Fort Worth. They have a special, 50% off of a full bag fitting until the end of January. All I need right now is some new irons but for $175, I thought it would be worth it to at least know my numbers for all clubs. My current irons are 20 year old, Ping G2s and I play to a 7 handicap.

Anyone have any tips that will help me get the most out of the session?

Thanks in advance.
5th Batt '96
Aggie369
AG
Be open to trying what they suggest. Stick to your main goal....whatever that is. Some guys want to get a blade and go in only wanting that...or to get the new ping irons. My goal was to buy the longest most forgiving irons I could.

Also dont feel like u have to buy the clubs from them although it is easier
jackie childs
i've only done a driver fitting, but it was a LOT of swings. for a full bag, you might see if they'd be willing to split it into two separate sessions. if not, just pace yourself and take advil
Oso96
AG
I've done the full bag fitting before and it is a lot of swings but very informative. When I did it they want to put you in some really expensive shafts. At that time I was not in the market for a $300 shaft for a driver and all the add ons which brought the price near $1k.

I was in H1 in '96.
eye-gor
AG
I posted on my experience with Joe at Club Champion in Lewisville a few weeks back. Overall, great experience and learned a ton. I regret waiting this long to do the fitting.

My recommendation (similar to above) a full bag is a ton of swings. I would start with irons while you are fresh, then go to putter to give yourself some breathing time and then finish with the driver. I struggled with fatigue on the driver and Joe invited me back at no additional cost which I took him up on it. Ended up finding the perfect driver shaft and it is expected to deliver today to my doorstep.

Also, I felt no pressure to buy anything beyond the fitting that I was there for. In fact, I got them to share that they make very little themselves on the resell and are perfectly fine that I was going to take my "numbers" and go find the best deal I could. To that point, I found the $400 shaft for half the price online.

Good luck! Hope you have a great experience!
AggieIce
AG
Try to not overswing
5thBatt96
AG
Thank you all for the advice! I did the fitting this morning and came away $3000 poorer. Taylor Made P-790 irons and a Calloway hybrid 3-iron, all with custom shafts, stiffer than I thought shafts could even be. Also had to get a new driver shaft for my Calloway Epic driver, $350. Overall, very happy and would recommend the process to anyone that asks. 10 yards extra with the irons and cut the dispersion in half. Unbelievable how much the driver shaft cut my spin down. Cannot wait to get the clubs and hit the course!
5th Batt '96
5thBatt96
AG
Oso96 is a hard one for me to figure out as to your identity. I was the 5th Batt Commander out of P-2. Initials KJC.
5th Batt '96
REMARCH11
AG
I've gone through several fittings, my first couple I went in with preconceived notions of what I wanted. I admit I was happy, but always wondered on if I made the right choice. This last time, the preconceived notion I went in with was I wanted accuracy and I said I would trust the numbers, feel and look.

I was fitted for Srixon Z975 irons, and I can honestly say, that never in a million years would I have even thought of trying these irons. I am really, really happy. Has been several years of really enjoyable golf.
5thBatt96
AG
I actually hit the Z975 irons in my fitting and they were great. Second best numbers of all the irons that I hit. I went in totally brand agnostic and just wanted the best for my swing. That said, I couldn't be happier with the Taylormade P790s and they are beautiful. They were my best numbers with the Oban CT-15 stiff steel iron shafts.
5th Batt '96
REMARCH11
AG
I hear ya!! I hit those as well and they are great. I was really close to getting a set, but for me, they didn't have quit the action is was looking for on my approach shots. I have several friends who play them along with my son and those great, great irons.
God,....I really hate the sips!
jj9000
AG
REMARCH11 said:

I hear ya!! I hit those as well and they are great. I was really close to getting a set, but for me, they didn't have quit the action is was looking for on my approach shots. I have several friends who play them along with my son and those great, great irons.
AggieEyes
AG
Got fitted today in Houston for the full bag. Absolutely great experience for $175. New driver shaft got me 35 more yards and am looking to get a new set of irons..... Callaway Apex 19 with TT project x 5.5...

Can't wait !
BEaggie08
AG
Taylor Made P790
AggieEyes
AG
As an ex Taylormade guy - nah bruh.

The p790 did not fare as well as the Apex for me.
REMARCH11
AG
You know what I'm talking about!!!!

Let's get out soon.
oldschool87
AG
If possible, hit balls before you go... Make sure you hit a few balls right before your fitting. But most importantly, do not try and impress anyone. If you have a crappy swing, make the same crappy swing every time. If you have a good swing, make that same swing every time.

The absolutely worst thing you can do is go be someone your not while being fitted. If you have a loop, dont eliminate the loop for the fitting guy. Swing your swing!!!!

If you don't, your gonna have clubs fitted for the fake tiger woods in your head!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.