Patrick Reed assessed 2 stroke penalty for improving his lie in a waste bunker

5,827 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DGAG92
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sometimes they do

Bunk Moreland
I put this kind of thing right up with the guys who make sure to move 3-6 inches closer when placing a marker and then re-marking their ball on the green.

To what degree is it from 'who cares' to 'Doug, kick him off the tour!'.....somewhere in the middle.
EKUAg
AG
Dgrimesag92 said:

You folks do realize he was in a "waste area" not a bunker.....he can ground his club in that area. If you looked at a "head on" video of the two practice swings, you can see it's iffy on if it was an intentional act. You can drag the club back along your line, but you can't improve your lie....the argument is, did he improve the lie? It was ruled he did improve his lie and he accepted the penalty and moved on. That little ***** Euro ****er is using this as leverage for the Presidents Cup. These guys are well aware of all the cameras and the amount of people watching every move they make.

Intent doesn't matter on this call. Slugger White said that. He took practice swings the caused the movement of sand improving his line of play.

There is a similiar video of him doing the same thing in 15 in a waste bunker. No one called him out for it then.

Same with the video of Kostis calling out the improvement of the lie in the rough.

grego
AG
Quote:

How is this penalty any different than the thousands of penalties through the years of Professional Golf?
Because most penalties are a) accidental and b) self reported by the player.

This was neither. Was a repeated offense. And performed by a widely suspected cheater.
jj9000
AG
Rory shares the same view I do on the subject. Interestingly enough, several of you will remember Rory picking up a piece of sand/rock up from behind his ball, and throwing it out of the bunker earlier this year. 2 strokes we're assessed, but later rescinded.

Where was the outrage then, suggesting the PGA made a mistake and that Rory improved his lie?

People love to hate this guy. I watched Brandel tear him apart last night. It makes for good TV, I guess. Like Rory says, people like to kick him when he's down.

The dude accepted his penalty. Wasn't he in the last group? If so, he knew there were 47 cameras on his every move.

Here's the interview with Rory.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-on-patrick-reed-controversy-wouldnt-be-a-big-deal-if-it-wasnt-patrick-reed
Duckhook
AG
jj9000 said:

Rory shares the same view I do on the subject. Interestingly enough, several of you will remember Rory picking up a piece of sand/rock up from behind his ball, and throwing it out of the bunker earlier this year. 2 strokes we're assessed, but later rescinded.

Where was the outrage then, suggesting the PGA made a mistake and that Rory improved his lie?

People love to hate this guy. I watched Brandel tear him apart last night. It makes for good TV, I guess. Like Rory says, people like to kick him when he's down.

The dude accepted his penalty. Wasn't he in the last group? If so, he knew there were 47 cameras on his every move.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-on-patrick-reed-controversy-wouldnt-be-a-big-deal-if-it-wasnt-patrick-reed

I can't say I remember the Rory situation. Why were the strokes rescinded?

Reed, rightly or wrongly, has a reputation. What he did in this instance was so blatant, in my eyes, that he knew exactly what he was doing. He went from a little cuppy lie to one that had a lot less sand behind the ball. The fact that he accepted the penalty is irrelevant. Slugger's comments didn't sound like they had a conversation about it. Sounded more like Slugger just explained why he was getting the penalty.

Despite knowing he had 47 cameras on him, in my opinion he still improved his lie intentionally.
The Milkman
AG
Despite knowing he had the cameras on him he still did it, which tells me the punishments aren't severe enough. If players in another sport blatantly break the rules they are punished for it with things like ejections. If they are repeat offenders they get suspensions. They need to be protecting the integrity of the game. I know people like to think golf is above all that and is a gentleman's game and self-policed etc etc. However, when there is significant money on the line it needs to be treated like a business or any other professional sport.

The PGA Tour wont impose those kinds of penalties because they arent a league like the NFL, MLB, or NBA. They are a marketing agency for the players.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
This entire premise that "he accepted his punishment" is total BS. HE DOESN'T GET A CHOICE. It's not up to him. The PGA assessed a two shot penalty. Bam. That's it.
cb1919
AG
jj9000 said:

Rory thought there was a stone against his ball, which would be considered a lose impediment that he is allowed to move. When he went to pick it up he realized it was a clump of sand and and not a rock. He did not alter or improve his lie like Reed did. The other big difference is Rory called a rules official over to discuss when he realized what happened.
JCA1
AG
Rory is right that Reed is treated different, but that's precisely the point. As others have said, Reed is treated different because of his questionable past behavior. Much like when Vontaze Burfict lands a cheap shot in football, he's treated different than J.J. Watt.
The Milkman
AG
DGAG92
AG
Dude still carried $250,000 home for 3rd place.....he doesn't give two ****s what you weekend warriors think. The PGA isn't going to do anything beyond the 2 shot penalty.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.