Patrick Reed assessed 2 stroke penalty for improving his lie in a waste bunker

5,812 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DGAG92
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Clear video of him taking the club back during a practice swing, and moving a significant amount of sand with his club. Twice.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/12/06/patrick-reed-ruling-moving-sand-in-bunker/

Clearly improved his line of play by getting rid of sand behind the ball.

Video:

Duckhook
AG
v
Big Cat `93
AG
Was he 1) unaware or 2) apathetic about the fact that the camera operator zoomed in on his ball? Head-scratcher.
Here is his explanation...

DannyDuberstein
AG
Duckhook
AG
Yeah, I'm calling BS on his response. He had to have seen his lie improving after those 2 practice swings.
Aggie369
AG
I'd like to see another angle and to see how far away his ball is from the sand he moved. You can 100% feel your club touching any sand at all
Unemployed
AG
That's a whole lot of sand he moved. He knew exactly what he was doing it. These guys are good enough to feel the slightest change in their clubs. To say that he didn't think he moved any sand on his backswing, that's insulting.

And it's stupid to pull that stunt when he's in the final group with all the cameras around him.
grego
AG
All kinds of rumors about him cheating during team qualifying at Uga.
Mateo84
AG
I wonder how often these types of things happen and nobody ever knows about it because there are no cameras on the group, the hazard is on the other side of the ropes from any fans, the group in question has hardly anyone following them in a smaller tournament, etc ... I would think that most players reaching the professional level are honest, but there are enormous financial pressures in many cases to do whatever it takes to improve your score
Aggie369
AG
Not often is my guess. I've caddied in a bunch of q school tournaments and web.com events...rules officials are brought in often to ask questions. Even from situations like you described where the player is on the other side of the hole and some times they don't even have a caddie.
Ag_07
AG
Reed is a real POS.

I'm starting to think his parents are the lucky ones.
rhtexfish
AG
I wouldn't even do that in a round with friends that's bull s.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Don't we have an old thread on here where we discussed Reed? Or maybe it was just a part of the Masters thread.

Anyways, check this out. From 2015.

[url] [/url]
Aggie369
AG
Ouch...I wonder if he will get pulled aside by veteran players or the tour to "have a talk". This stuff normally gets taken care of privately on tour.

He cant pass this off as "accident" or "didnt know" anymore. I hope this gets taken care publicly or atleast behind closed doors. I'd hope he gets pushed away from team events after this president's club. Golf has no room for people with no character.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
To me, having a club in a sand trap is like a loaded gun. I always know where the club head is (ie where the gun is pointing). No excuse for this.
grego
AG
That 2015 One was before you could ground your club as well. Right?
DannyDuberstein
AG
2015 was a waste area as well, so could ground club then. But cant move sand to improve lie
Unemployed
AG
How many of you take a practice swing with the club directly behind the ball?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Where are the Reed apologists today?
Shelton98
AG
Funny part was that after he blatantly improved his lie (twice), he hit an almost perfect shot..... and the golf gods blew that sucker off the green and down the hill into a collection area.
GIF Reactor
AG
Aggie369 said:

Ouch...I wonder if he will get pulled aside by veteran players or the tour to "have a talk". This stuff normally gets taken care of privately on tour.

He cant pass this off as "accident" or "didnt know" anymore. I hope this gets taken care publicly or atleast behind closed doors. I'd hope he gets pushed away from team events after this president's club. Golf has no room for people with no character.

Uhh, they'd have to boot the P-Cup captain if golf had no room for people with no character. Not that I agree with what Reed did in any way. I think what you mean is golf has no room for cheating the game. You can be a SOB in your personal life, but don't cheat at a game damnit.
GIF Reactor
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Where are the Reed apologists today?

These people exist?
Duckhook
AG
Reed finishes two shots back of Stenson. Without the assessed penalty, he would have been in a playoff against Henrik.

Karma.
austinag1997
AG
RealTalk said:

Pretty impressive he took that practice shot w/o moving the ball. Would have been an inadvertent strike for me.
DGAG92
AG
You folks do realize he was in a "waste area" not a bunker.....he can ground his club in that area. If you looked at a "head on" video of the two practice swings, you can see it's iffy on if it was an intentional act. You can drag the club back along your line, but you can't improve your lie....the argument is, did he improve the lie? It was ruled he did improve his lie and he accepted the penalty and moved on. That little ***** Euro ****er is using this as leverage for the Presidents Cup. These guys are well aware of all the cameras and the amount of people watching every move they make.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Are you kidding me?!
You can ground your club in a waste bunker. You cannot, under any circumstance move sand around in the bunker with your club.

He blatantly cheated. There is not a damn thing about it that is iffy.

He doesn't get a choice whether or not to "accept his punishment".

I'd love for the PGA to suspend him for 4 tournaments.
The Milkman
AG
Dgrimesag92 said:

You folks do realize he was in a "waste area" not a bunker.....he can ground his club in that area. If you looked at a "head on" video of the two practice swings, you can see it's iffy on if it was an intentional act. You can drag the club back along your line, but you can't improve your lie....the argument is, did he improve the lie? It was ruled he did improve his lie and he accepted the penalty and moved on. That little ***** Euro ****er is using this as leverage for the Presidents Cup. These guys are well aware of all the cameras and the amount of people watching every move they make.
No one thinks its a problem he grounded his club. Players were taking full practice swings and splashing the sand in the waste areas all week.

Anyone who has ever played a single round of golf knows he improved his lie and that isnt debatable. Intent is irrelevant as thats not how the rule works.

He also has a reputation as a cheater, rumors of him stealing clubs from other players lockers in college etc. He is caught by Peter Kostis cheating at the Barclays in 2016 (a tournament he won).

Also, for the Presidents Cup there are no Europeans. I hope we win handily, but I also hope he loses every match he plays.
DGAG92
AG
jj9000
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

He got penalized and took responsibility for the penalty.

I don't see what the big deal is here, other than the backlash for everything Reed does, and the Aussie kid trying to rile up his home crowd for the Presidents Cup.

How is this penalty any different than the thousands of penalties through the years of Professional Golf?
PJYoung
AG
The Milkman said:

He also has a reputation as a cheater, rumors of him stealing clubs from other players lockers in college etc. He is caught by Peter Kostis cheating at the Barclays in 2016 (a tournament he won).

Good Lord.
PJYoung
AG
jj9000 said:

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

He got penalized and took responsibility for the penalty.

I don't see what the big deal is here, other than the backlash for everything Reed does, and the Aussie kid trying to rile up his home crowd for the Presidents Cup.

How is this penalty any different than the thousands of penalties through the years of Professional Golf?

Have you not seen the other examples of him doing the same exact thing to improve his lie? You don't find that a little.... curious?
jj9000
AG
RealTalk said:

It happens very often on Tour.

I don't have time to scroll through YouTube videos, but, with irons (and especially wedges), those guys often set up behind the ball and swing right over it.

I've often wondered how they manage to never accidentally hit the ball.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.