I think I want to go 5wood instead of my 17degree hybrid

3,644 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Change my mind.

Currently hitting an 11 year old 13 degree ft-tour 3wood, about to pick up a new m5 rocket to replace old faithful but also gaming a 10 year old Adams idea a7 17degree.
Thinking that I've been somewhat happy with the hybrid but the range session with the m5 3 wood had me thinking what about a 19 degree 5wood instead?

To be fair I haven't hit a new hybrid in years though and maybe it was just an incredible range session.

I'll hang up and listen
07fta07
AG
I hate hybrids so I'm not going to talk you out of it. If you hit it better, no reason not to do it.
HouAggie
AG
Driving irons are gaining popularity these days. Basically just taking hybrid tech and putting it in something that looks like an iron. Might look into that. I hate traditional hybrids, personally.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Driving irons are gaining popularity these days. Basically just taking hybrid tech and putting it in something that looks like an iron. Might look into that. I hate traditional hybrids, personally.
Srixon ZU85 2 iron. An outstanding driving/utility iron that is good off the deck but is f'ing money off the tee. Highly recommend it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The hybrid is awesome usually and I consider myself a good to really good player but like most I get the wtf hook with it every once and a while and have a hard time cutting it.
AustinCountyAg
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

The hybrid is awesome usually and I consider myself a good to really good player but like most I get the wtf hook with it every once and a while and have a hard time cutting it.
this is me. the better I've gotten at golf, the worst I hit my hybrid(miss is a massive hook). I hardly ever use it and to be honest. I have gotten the itch for a driving iron, because I am pretty nails with my 4i off the tee, but shaky at times with the fairway wood.

my weakest shot is probably the 200+ something from the fairway. I struggle hitting FW off the clean lie and getting it in the air. Half the time I resort to a low punch with the 4i. How is a driving iron off the grass on a clean lie?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
That's the problem, not scared of the driving iron, but a 220 par 3 or 230 into a par 5 I'd like something that gets up in the air and stops. I guess my current hybrid does that but one it's 10 years old and when I really think about it I haven't hit it very consistently
07fta07
AG
I dumped a hybrid for a Srixon U85 utility iron with a graphite shaft with a high launch. It gets up if you want it to or you can flight it down off the tee. I had a Mizuno HI Fli with a steel shaft before this and it's night and day how much higher this one launches.

My hybrid miss had gotten to be big, both ways. This thing is much more controllable and I don't have a huge miss either way with it.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'll go try that one out! I'm going to try that, the m5 5 wood and a few other hybrid brands or driving irons and figure out what works best
07fta07
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I'll go try that one out! I'm going to try that, the m5 5 wood and a few other hybrid brands or driving irons and figure out what works best

The shaft made a big difference on the launch with that club. I went away from my usual profile and got a little softer, higher launch shaft and it's been perfect.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
My first thought was to get the same shaft as my irons, x100 soft stepped but maybe I should go with a higher launch graphite
07fta07
AG
That's what I did at first. PX LZ 6.0 but it just wasn't launching high enough for coming into par 5's. It was great and long off the tee, but it just had no stop on it. The graphite made a big difference. I went with an 85g hybrid Oban Revenge X . The Graphite Design AD DI 85X was a close 2nd. It's also a hell of a lot easier to swing than with my 120g steel shaft.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Roger that
AggieDruggist89
AG
To make hybrids work, you have to find a head that works. There are iron based and wood based hybrids and you can tell the difference by the curvature (gear effect) of the face or the lack of on the iron based.

I prefer wood based faced hybrid where the face is a bit curved and I think it tends to correct the mis-hits better. I do not like the straight faced iron like hybrids.

I do play 2 through 7 hybrids, all cobra baffler with either NS 95 steel or Graphite Design shafts. For me, hybrid gives me better accuracy and distance control than 4 and 5 wood.
agsalaska
AG
So story time for Agsalaska.

About eight years ago while I was still living in Vegas we were playing Boulder Creek. I was playing pretty well other than a snapped off hybrid on this early par 3. I may have been E or so. On 15. I was like 238 or something out and hit a hybrid deep, deep, deep into the desert.

I had this hybrid for about a year. It was a Taylor Made(I think) 19 degree. I never could hit it.

So I am out in two, drop three, hitting four. I put it up and grabbed my old Ping Eye 2 two iron that had snuck into my bag after repeated trouble with the hybrid. I hit the two iron to five feet and made the putt for par. I never hit the hybrid again. I don't even remember if it made it back into my car.

I got a Titleist 915 five wood a year or two later, and it is the best club in my bag. If I could control all of my clubs as well as I control my five wood I would turn pro. If I ever lose it I am going to quit golf.

OK, last story. The other day I was about 260 out on a downhill lie in the rough with a 200 yard carry over water. I kept thinking three wood but didnt like the downhill lie or the rough. I pulled the five wood out and hit it to the front of the green. The downhill lie lowered the loft and it came out low and hot with a perfect slight draw. I smoked that ball. Best shot I hit in a month.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Oh hell F Golf!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I love my hybrids (Ping G15), but it's very much a person-to-person call. I was actually slow to convert to hybrids for a long time because I never liked any I hit until those Pings (I still gamed a 2 iron). So I wouldnt begrudge anyone going 5wood over them. But I would also caution not to label all hybrids the same and give up on them entirely. You may just not have found the right match.
khaos288
AG
I used to play a 5 wood bc I hated every hybrid I ever tried.

I finally gave in and bought an epic hybrid that matches my 3 wood for fun, and it's insane. I've never liked a hybrid until this one, and it's so much easier to hit. Idk if it just fits my eye or what. I put a 5 iron swing on it, and it just goes.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i need to figure something out because i hate my current hybrid. snap hook machine.

did you have to put a new shaft in the epic hybrid?
Mateo84
AG
I had a hybrid or two in the bag for 15 years and could never hit the damn things consistently. Switched to a Cobra F9 5 wood about 9 months ago and couldn't be happier. Much easier for me to hit for some reason. Flys high and lands soft. Made my first eagle by dropping it 15 inches from the flag from 240 out a few months ago.
agsalaska
AG
Same with me.

I dont think a hybrid really replaces a 5 wood. I think for some players it should replace a 4 or 5 iron. But I cannot imagine a club better than my 5 wood.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
khaos288
AG
ruddyduck said:

i need to figure something out because i hate my current hybrid. snap hook machine.

did you have to put a new shaft in the epic hybrid?

I hit a few but liked the stock one the most.

My suggestion would be go to pgass and literally hit as many hybrids as they have on demo. It's weird but I feel like mine just fits my eye better. Took a long time to find it though. Snap hooks were all my others as well
watty
AG
agsalaska said:

OK, last story. The other day I was about 260 out on a downhill lie in the rough with a 200 yard carry over water. I kept thinking three wood but didnt like the downhill lie or the rough. I pulled the five wood out and hit it to the front of the green. The downhill lie lowered the loft and it came out low and hot with a perfect slight draw. I smoked that ball. Best shot I hit in a month.

I'm guessing this was the par 5 with the apartments down the right side?
agsalaska
AG
Yes sir. #15
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Some of my group gives me hell about it but they are fugging idiots. I dumped my hybrid and hit a ping 7 wood.

I'm not killing it like all the long ball hitters here, but I hit it 1675 times better than I ever hit my 4 iron off a lot of different lies.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
well this thread inspired me to go hit some 5 woods and it looks like one will be going in the bag soon.

thanks, op!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
speaking of which...i'm going with the cobra f9 5 wood to match my 3 wood (which has become one of my two favorite clubs in my bag).

however, cobra doesn't offer accra shafts which i have on all my woods. can anyone point me to an equivalent of the 372t m4? or just stick with stock stiff or x stiff staff?
khaos288
AG
ruddyduck said:

speaking of which...i'm going with the cobra f9 5 wood to match my 3 wood (which has become one of my two favorite clubs in my bag).

however, cobra doesn't offer accra shafts which i have on all my woods. can anyone point me to an equivalent of the 372t m4? or just stick with stock stiff or x stiff staff?

I'd match the specs up to the stock shaft offerings they have. Then play it for a month and see if it's close enough. If not, then you can go get an Accra to put in, but may save yourself some money with the stocker.
Austintm
5 wood has been my favorite club for a long time consistent off the fairway, and my miss is a low burner that still goes straight. Currently using a Ping G410
jj9000
AG
Try a Callaway Heavenwood.

Talk about a fun club to hit.
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

ECHO!

Plus they're cheap
G Martin 87
AG
jj9000 said:

I've got a HW and a Divine 9. I actually prefer the 9, but they're both a blast to hit.

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
jj9000 said:

the old big bertha's? never hit one but see on callaway preowned they're like $36. never hit one but i'm intrigued.
jj9000
AG
There's an Epic Heavenwood as well.

Same concept though.
khaos288
AG
ruddyduck said:

jj9000 said:

the old big bertha's? never hit one but see on callaway preowned they're like $36. never hit one but i'm intrigued.
https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/fairway-woods/fwoods-2015-great-big-bertha.html

Woods will be buy one get one free tomorrow for black friday (and 8.5% cash back if you do rakuten or similar) You can get a 5 wood and heavenwood for the price of one.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.