San Diego Golf

2,014 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HouAg05
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Plan on heading to San Diego area (probably La Jolla) first week of January and an looking for recommendations on a golf course that would be available to the public (me). Obviously, Torrey pines would be nice, but I would prefer not to make a day out of trying to get on as a single.
Thanks for suggestions.
Poot
Maderas isn't ocean side, but it's a damn fine golf course. More of a desert-Mountain feel. Great condition. Interesting Johnny Miller layout.

From La Jolla (Hilton Torrey) it took me 25 minutes to get over there. (Poway)
investorAg83
AG
Poot said:

Maderas isn't ocean side, but it's a damn fine golf course. More of a desert-Mountain feel. Great condition. Interesting Johnny Miller layout.

From La Jolla (Hilton Torrey) it took me 25 minutes to get over there. (Poway)

I did the same thing from La Jolla...Maderas is a great track. Also played Monarch Beach further up the coast and loved that one.
Yesterday
AG
You will be able to get on rather quickly as a single. Call the day before and I bet you can get a tee time very close to your preferred time. Especially on the South Course.
RooAg
AG
Don't think you'll have an issue getting on at Torrey. Played a few months ago, just know that there is a lot of construction going on as the get it ready for 2021 US Open. 2 holes were basically shut down, played only 16. Honestly ruined it a little bit but still checked the box. The South Course should be fine (no construction), just not the iconic Torrey course.

I'd call and check current status. Some family has played the South Course and really liked it, much cheaper too.
Yesterday
AG
RooAg said:

Don't think you'll have an issue getting on at Torrey. Played a few months ago, just know that there is a lot of construction going on as the get it ready for 2021 US Open. 2 holes were basically shut down, played only 16. Honestly ruined it a little bit but still checked the box. The South Course should be fine (no construction), just not the iconic Torrey course.

I'd call and check current status. Some family has played the South Course and really liked it, much cheaper too.

Agreed but you got the courses switched. North course was better IMO.
ORAggieFan
South Course is the one under construction and used for US Open. I love the North. I only play South if guests in town.

Maderas was mentioned. Aviara is my favorite and where an LPGA event is held. It's nicer than Torrey.

I can give more if looking for cheaper.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Loved North Torrey when I played there earlier this year. Like others have said, shouldn't be hard to get on and not have to kill a whole day.
ORAggieFan
Previous discussion on this topic https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3012637
BigHitterDaLama
Ditto on aviara......best non private course in area.

E
AG
Played Maderas over Easter and had an awesome time. One of the best courses I've ever played and a very fun layout.
Mr.Bond
AG
Nm
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mateo84
AG
I recently (two weeks ago) played Torrey South, Maderas, and Coronado all as a single. Got advance reservations for all three. Maderas was fantastic, Torrey was worth it one time but would not go back unless with friends who wanted to check it off the list, and Coronado has nice views but not an enjoyable golf course - my opinion would be to avoid that one. See photos on the golf photos thread.

Torrey South had all holes open but one par 4 was playing as a par 3 that day.
BigRedAg18
I will throw in the Riverwalk Golf Club. Fantastic course that we still talk about going back to 5 years after playing it. Torrey is also hard to beat. Coronado island is a muni course with everything you expect out of a muni course, except it's on a beach so we still enjoyed it, especially for the price. I wish we had played Maderes because it has awesome reviews
WhoopN06
Always recommend Balboa Park. Great views of downtown and a fun little track.
ORAggieFan
I can't stand Riverwalk. It's central and cheap, but poor conditions and super slow.

Balboa really is a fun track. Slow muni but right in the heard of SD.
BigRedAg18
It was several years ago when we played it so I can't speak for its current condition but we really enjoyed it.
HouAg05
Torrey North Course with the recent changes was great. Played with locals in the afternoon for like $55. Didn't have trouble getting on as a single. Next time in SD I will do the same. Great value and not a pain to get on like the South.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.