Rotator cuff surgery this week

2,676 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bdgol07
skippytimmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long till I can play golf again? Any of yall go through a rotator cuff surgery?
07fta07
AG
Are you 20 or 70? I'd ask your surgeon and stick with that.
C ROC N
Yall need to stop with these injury reports!!
skippytimmy
AG
07fta07 said:

Are you 20 or 70? I'd ask your surgeon and stick with that.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Im 58

Bramhall (CStat) worked all 3 of mine June 26 including grinding down a bone spur

I got the okey dokey for half swings in late August but YMMV

Played 18 and shot my index 15-17 days later

No pain except from tightness.

Stretch everyday. As much as they will allow. Thats the limiting factor after the surgery is healed. Range of motion due to tightness
AG
C ROC N said:

Yall need to stop with these injury reports!!

If there's one thing I know it's injuries
skippytimmy
AG
That's encouraging.

Thanks
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
Had anterior and posterior labrum complete tears (posterior couldn't be repaired), bone removed from both sides of ac joint, and something minor on rotator on June 20th. Had to have second surgery beginning of October.

My first swing two weeks ago I thought I tore everything in my shoulder. Hurt like hell but probably helped by tearing remaining scar tissue. Was much looser next day.

Played relatively pain free Sunday. Not well just glad I wasn't reaching for a pain killer.

All that said, It's been one of the worst experiences of my life.

skippytimmy
AG
I agree, this has not been fun. Found out I had a ton of arthritis in my shoulder as well, as well as multiple bone spurs.

Slept in a bed a few days ago for the first time.

Starting to make stimulated swings in my living room. Very tight.

Hopefully can swing a club by March.
birdman
I had torn labrum, torn biceps muscle and tendon. Most of my shoulder was messed up, except the rotator cuff. It was nine months before I could pick up a club.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
When your PT gives you specific stretching exercises, do them religiously on the schedule he/she recommends. Not only will your recovery be faster, it will help avoid re-injury.

And ice it with a full shoulder icer at least twice/day.
AG
Man these results all vary. Had a partially torn RC in high school (baseball player). It was 5 months rest before I could throw lightly again.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
Shoulder got scoped September 27th. Lifted 15 lbs this past Monday with no pain. #smallvictories
mt3950
AG
skippytimmy said:

I agree, this has not been fun. Found out I had a ton of arthritis in my shoulder as well, as well as multiple bone spurs.

Slept in a bed a few days ago for the first time.

Starting to make stimulated swings in my living room. Very tight.

Hopefully can swing a club by March.

External rotation will be the last thing you regain. Can often times take a full year to get back to your ROM pre-surgery. 6mo is typically when you can go out and play a round with somewhat normalcy, albeit your swing will not be quite the same. Like posters have said above, it all varies. I would echo the stretching part 100%.
sangredevino
I'm having problems with my left shoulder. Any doctor recommendations in Houston that you would like to share? thanks in advance.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Bramhall in CS did mine and a lot of others on here

You can always get cut here and rehab in Houston

I can tell you unequivocally that with what I know now, I certainly would
AG
mm98 said:

Man these results all vary. Had a partially torn RC in high school (baseball player). It was 5 months rest before I could throw lightly again.
Exactly...

After 18 days I was happy I could put a shirt on...
Post removed:
by user
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
It gets better

Pick a great surgeon and rehab
AG
It's a huge relief when you get past that 6/8 week post surgery and start improving rapidly on a weekly basis

Get a damn good PT
AG
...Rehab Director here so please listen...

DO WHAT YOUR THERAPIST AND SURGEON SAY AND DO NOT PROGRESS FASTER THAN THEY SAY.

There is a time period where you will feel that you are doing great and think about getting rid of the sling early, DON'T!!! There are plenty of different options out there but I would talk with the surgeon about your goals (playing golf and others) and the expectations of you post surgery. The surgeon could have a protocol that keeps you immobile and in Passive range of motion (PROM) for anywhere from 4-12 weeks. In the ed, 6 months out, there is no difference in outcomes so depending on how severe your damage is and the conservativeness of the MD, that could determine your course of treatment afterwards as well as your misery index of not being able to actively move your upper extremity.

Be open with your therapist about repetitive motions that you do in your everyday life (overhead movements or reaching away from your body with weight in your hands) so that you don't have an issue of re-injury
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.