Golfers Elbow

4,278 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Deluxe
REMARCH11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone got any recommendations? Both of my elbows are absolutely killing me. I've tried Ice therapy, heat therapy, KT tape, compression sleeves, compression bands. Thinking next step is shots but I hear they are 50/50. Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has gone through this.

khaos288
AG
Rest cured mine. Nothing else worked.
REMARCH11
AG
That was the answer I wasn't hoping for!!! How long did you take off?
07fta07
AG
I've got tennis elbow...from golf. Been dealing with it for about a year now in both elbows. Done PT, cortisone shots, you name it. Finally going in for PRP and taking a month off on Monday. We'll see how it goes.
REMARCH11
AG
Let me know how it goes....please!!!
07fta07
AG
REMARCH11 said:

Will do. It's supposed to work well for elbows. I had it done on a partially torn Achilles (which there are very mixed reviews) and it made a significant difference. So I'm hopeful.
mm98
AG
I've never had a bad case but I find they're more sore when I'm not rotating my body enough. The more I turn the less I'm susceptible to wrist and elbow pain.
Old Tom Morris
I was going to come here and give you the answer you don't want to hear. Rest. I'd shut things down for at least a month or two. You've got to get the inflammation down, and while the thought of shutting down for awhile sucks, this is really the best way to do it.

Then after it's calmed down, pt with a Theraband (see Amazon)
legett78
AG
Had a severe case a few years ago that wouldn't go away. Chiropractor gave me an exercise that cured it within about 3 weeks. Take a 10-15 pound dumbbell. Extend your arm directly over your head (overhead press or shoulder press). Lower the weight behind your head and press the weight up. Do 3 sets of 10-12 each day. Increase the weight when your strength increases. I continue to do the exercises and the problem has never come back. I hope this description makes sense.
jj9000
AG
Buy a Green Theraband Flexbar today.

Work it on a daily basis.

Problem solved.

Then, switch to heavy graphite b/c I know you're in the 120gm weight in steel.

If you don't want to buy the Theraband Flexbar, you can use mine. No worries.
jman86
AG
Rest and I changed my iron shafts to graphite UST Recoils. I haven't had elbow pain since - been 2+ years.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Rest. But if u can't then theraband exercise helps. I have the blue band.

khaos288
AG
I go three weeks. Ibuprofen at night, and cant lift during that time either or else it comes back right away
Oso96
AG
Rest and graphite shafts will cure it. Haven't had it in years since I made the switch.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Theraband FlexBar fixed my issues last year. Took about a week or 2 and haven't had problems since.
wahoo0185
AG
copper bracelet
TechPracAggie
This thing worked wonders on mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Armaid-Massage-Myofascial-Release-Trigger/dp/B071KL4QSP/ref=asc_df_B071KL4QSP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216514740623&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12297012381919811540&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026945&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-349408633649&psc=1
07fta07
AG
REMARCH11 said:

Had the PRP this morning in both elbows. **** - it wasn't fun. Cortisones months ago were a breeze compared to this.

I was told do nothing for 2 weeks. Then light stretching and strength work for a couple weeks. I can try golf after 4 weeks from today and then probably get back to the gym after I see the Dr again 6 weeks from today. He said he's had really good luck with the PRP in elbows so we're both hopeful this clears it up. He said the real difference will be 3-6 months down the road.

Edit to say I did cortisones several months ago and they worked real well for 6 weeks. Then back to how it was. I wouldn't recommend doing that. I'd go straight to the PRP if you're considering doing either (results TBD on that obviously).
REMARCH11
AG
Ahh, thanks for letting me know. I'll look into the PRP. Going to try rest and the Theraband. If this doesn't work then I'll try this route.

Going to look into JJ's suggestion of graphite shafts!!!!

REMARCH11
AG
Got to ask, did it actually work?
REMARCH11
AG
The wife already ordered me one. I'll let know how it goes.

Already started looking at shafts.

Let me know if you need to clean out your garage! HAHA!
07fta07
AG
REMARCH11 said:

Ahh, thanks for letting me know. I'll look into the PRP. Going to try rest and the Theraband. If this doesn't work then I'll try this route.

Going to look into JJ's suggestion of graphite shafts!!!!

I dropped off my irons today to get the pro soft inserts put into them. Much cheaper option versus switching to graphite. When I can play again in a month I'll let you know if I notice a difference.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I have the prosoft inserts. It's easy to insert. It didn't prevent my dendinitis. I also have sensicore inserts. I know it helps but didn't prevent my elbow pain.

I am going to pull my steel shafts soon.
07fta07
AG
Well, hopefully I have better luck but I figured it was worth trying a $20 solution before pulling 10 new steel shafts and going to graphite.
EKUAg
AG
Go rid of the last of my steel shafts last year when I changed out my wedges. Elbow and hand pain went away.
TechPracAggie
Trust me, I tried everything. Armaid solved it after daily massages in 2 weeks.
79TAMU79
AG
Off six months with no golf.
Always stretch my arms/hands before playing each round.
No more pain.
07fta07
AG
79TAMU79 said:

Off six months with no golf.

Yea...no. Six months?!?
dlbarnes76
AG
I've been having elbow pain since taking a golf trip in August where we played four rounds in three days. Was having mild discomfort prior to that and it ratcheted up pretty good. Took over a month off with no improvement, so I have just been playing through it. Thanks for all of the suggestions! Just need to figure out what to try.
Hanrahan
AG
if you are in austin, go see Brent Voth.

https://www.northstarmanualtherapy.com/meet-the-team/

I had a bad case of it out of no where two years ago. Hurt ike hell for months, tried all the exercises and other stuff, nothing worked. Saw him twice and it was completely gone. It will hurt like absolute hell while he is doing his thing, but it works.
07fta07
AG
Ok, I'm 6 weeks out from PRP. I took 1 month off from doing anything. The first 3 weeks after PRP, I was pretty sore. Week 4 I started noticing a good improvement.

I started playing golf again after 4 weeks along with doing some PT twice a week. I've played the last 3 weekends and the elbows are feeling good. I went back to the doctor today and he said I'm doing very well and can start back into the gym...gradually.

I'll do 2 more weeks of PT and then continue on my own. The PRP should keep working and improving for another 6+ weeks. Overall I wish I had done this sooner. It's been a major improvement. I also put the pro soft inserts in my irons and I feel like that's helping a lot as well.

PRP isn't cheap, but it's working and that's all I cared about.
aggiederelict
I am a physical therapist here in Austin if anyone needs any help. I treat this quite a bit. It is no fun but some hands on treatment with some dry needling can be quite helpful.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Lingering tendinitis on my left elbow since summer of 2018. I played with it until a month ago. Been off golf for 4 weeks. I think I'm 90% healed. Will rest until end of December for hopefully a full recovery.

No treatment other than weight lifting 3 times a week.
Mateo84
AG
I am always tinkering with my grip (I know I probably shouldn't but can't help myself haha). I've found that my elbow tendonitis (tennis elbow side) goes away when I use a ten finger grip. As soon as I go back to a Vardon/overlap, the pain comes back. Might just keep playing the ten finger grip indefinitely, but it sometimes zaps my confidence that I'm not using a "proper" golf grip
austinag1997
AG
CBD oil fixes mine. If it returns... CBD oil. Pretty amazing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.