Driver recommendation

2,127 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
La migra52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I currently have a TM R9 and hit it fairly well i think. I've been thinking about getting another driver since it's pretty outdated. Any reviews on the TM M2 or M4? Thanks in advance.
investorAg83
AG
This might sound snarky but it's not meant to.

Get fitted.
La migra52
investorAg83 said:

Get fitted.

Yeah I was thinking that. Does it really make a difference?
Rubble
AG
La migra52 said:

investorAg83 said:

Get fitted.

Yes. I just got fitted not long ago. You'll test many different heads and shafts to see which one best fits your game.
CyclingAg82
AG
La migra52 said:

investorAg83 said:

Get fitted.

It does, and the M5 / M6 are really nice clubs.

But test a lot of them, things have changed so much in technology - that another brand might suit you better.

Ping, Titleist, Cobra, Callaway all make outstanding clubs.
Obi Wan Ginobili
You're getting fitted for the shaft. Today's tech is so absurd you can't really go wrong with whatever brand head you get.
CyclingAg82
AG
Obi Wan - you are correct. Shaft fitting is the key here.

La Migra52 - There are so many options - it will be easy to find one that fits your swing speed etc.

AggieDruggist89
AG
La migra52 said:

I currently have a TM R9 and hit it fairly well i think. I've been thinking about getting another driver since it's pretty outdated. Any reviews on the TM M2 or M4? Thanks in advance.

You have a driver you hit fairly well. Why change? What would you gain with a newer driver and will it improve your handicap?

Also, can this change actually hurt your game?

These are the questions I ask when I make a club change. Yes I do have a newer driver (original epic) and a 3 wood but I'm careful about making changes as it can create a seed of doubt.

Golf is such a mentally fickle game that a tiny speck of subconscious negative thought can wreak havoc with your game.

The last thing I want when I'm playing golf is either playing "swing" or "equipment." I play best golf when I'm focused on navigating the course where to hit the ball and how to get there.
La migra52
AggieDruggist89 said:

La migra52 said:

You have a driver you hit fairly well. Why change? What would you gain with a newer driver and will it improve your handicap?

Also, can this change actually hurt your game?

These are the questions I ask when I make a club change. Yes I do have a newer driver (original epic) and a 3 wood but I'm careful about making changes as it can create a seed of doubt.

Golf is such a mentally fickle game that a tiny speck of subconscious negative thought can wreak havoc with your game.

The last thing I want when I'm playing golf is either playing "swing" or "equipment." I play best golf when I'm focused on navigating the course where to hit the ball and how to get there.

Why? Bc the new ones look so purty. I dk really , I mean I don't NEED one , but I figured I just got some new irons , so why not ?
La migra52
Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm gonna go to the local golf shop and see if I I can get fitted. I was just wondering if anyone on here noticed any difference in their hits with the newer Taylor made stuff.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Try Callaway. Most of us long long time TM users in my circle all converted to Epic....

And bring your R9 to fitting to compare and prevent jacked up simulator false reads
07fta07
AG
Don't get the M3 or M4. They missed with those. The 1/2 and 5/6 are better options and I'd recommend the 2 or 6 over the 1 or 5.
AggieEyes
AG
So which do you pick M6 vs M2?
07fta07
AG
Ideally you pick the one that you are fit into, but the M2 and M6 are both very good drivers. The M6 is newer and has the twist face technology and is a little hotter, but either would be an upgrade over the R9. You'll be able to pick up an M2 pretty cheap compared to the M6.
Rubble
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Try Callaway. Most of us long long time TM users in my circle all converted to Epic....

And bring your R9 to fitting to compare and prevent jacked up simulator false reads

I second this. I just recently got the Epic Flash Sub Zero...absolutely love it!
Aggieangler93
AG
The fitting comment is the way to go. I tried 5 different drivers at the last place I was fitted at, and ended up buying the Ping G400. I haven't had a Ping driver in the past, and wasn't really considering it as an option, as I used to hit Callaway a lot. After the fitting, I consistently hit the G400 best.

I agree that the technology selection in today's golf club bag is sick!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
C ROC N
Got a M2 with a blueboard regular flex. If you are in CS, I can let you hit it at the range.
La migra52
C ROC N said:

Got a M2 with a blueboard regular flex. If you are in CS, I can let you hit it at the range.

Thanks for that man ! But I'm pretty far south from you lol.
La migra52
So just an update , a few weeks back I got to hit an m6 at dicks. It wasn't a fitting or anything , I bought some irons and they had it there so the guy let me hit. It felt nice and I was hitting well. That's what got me thinking about a new driver. Fast fwd to now and I was planning on going to get fitted to see what would be best , but I came across a brand new m6 someone had won that was just a spare. I got it for $300 so I thought that was too good of a deal to pass up.
07fta07
AG
LantanaAg said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I second this. I just recently got the Epic Flash Sub Zero...absolutely love it!

I'm an R7, M1, Epic Flash convert and it's a hell of a driver. The M6 was close, but the Flash was consistently more consistent and the ball speed was a good 3 mph faster (and 7-8 faster than my M1).
Rubble
AG
07fta07 said:

LantanaAg said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I'm an R7, M1, Epic Flash convert and it's a hell of a driver. The M6 was close, but the Flash was consistently more consistent and the ball speed was a good 3 mph faster (and 7-8 faster than my M1).

I love the flash face technology. I can hit it off the toe or heel, and still get the same ball speed as dead center.
AggieEyes
AG
I just bought a mint version of the below. Can't wait to check it out. That shaft seems legit.

TaylorMade 2016 M2 Driver 10.5 Kuro Kage Dual-Core Tini 60 Graphite Stiff Right Handed 46.0in.

Let me know what you think.
07fta07
AG
It's too long.
Old Tom Morris
That's what she said.
AggieDruggist89
AG
LantanaAg said:

07fta07 said:

LantanaAg said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I love the flash face technology. I can hit it off the toe or heel, and still get the same ball speed as dead center.

I'm not sure but I want to say Epic head is much lighter than TM heads and I went with a 55 gram shaft. I shaved over 30 grams total weight by switching to Callaway. And it's just an easier driver to swing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.