Holy Smokes! I won!

5,230 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by grego
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Just saw the other thread. Didn't know there was something about this.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
AG
Don't feel special. Apparently everyone "won" and there is a steep price for "winning"
Mr.Bond
AG
This is like the opposite of the masters lottery..... Everyone won in this one
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Matsui
CCred92
AG
Yep.

I won too.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Whistling Straits does not look spectator friendly either. For the life of me I don't get why this venue was selected, other than allowing Stricker to be the captain in Wisconsin.
JHUAggie
When we went in 2015 it was spectator friendly. Plenty of places to get a good look at the action. It is not the easiest golf course to walk. I've been on better, I've been on worse.
AustinCountyAg
just checking in to say I "won" too
BreNayPop
AG
I won too

Never for masters, but did for this
The Lost
98Ag99Grad said:

Whistling Straits does not look spectator friendly either. For the life of me I don't get why this venue was selected, other than allowing Stricker to be the captain in Wisconsin.
Define not spectator friendly?

Easy walk? No. Tons of places to actually watch golf, yes.

It's actually really good for an event like this with its hills so you could follow a group and actually see shots, unlike tons of places. You also wouldn't have to post up in one bleacher for 4 groups. Really enjoyed going to it for the PGA a few years ago.

It's really not hard to figure out why between great views for tv and it holds a **** ton of people and is near chicago/milwaukee. It'll print $$$, which is all they really care about.
Yesterday
AG
And it suits the American bomber players. If they're smart they'll make it wide open so the Americans can swing away.
98Ag99Grad
AG
03ki11erAG said:

And it suits the American bomber players. If they're smart they'll make it wide open so the Americans can swing away.
how so because this is my biggest gripe. are they going to mow the fescue? fill in some of the 900 bunkers? I don't necessarily see this fitting the euros either but don't see as a course they can set-up like Hazeltine or the course last year to help Europe. I wish they would pick more courses the PGA plays more often.

As far as spectator friendly, my definition is walkable because that's what I like to do. This is a totally different event with less players and way more people, so that probably isn't feasible anyway.
Yesterday
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

03ki11erAG said:

how so because this is my biggest gripe. are they going to mow the fescue? fill in some of the 900 bunkers? I don't necessarily see this fitting the euros either but don't see as a course they can set-up like Hazeltine or the course last year to help Europe. I wish they would pick more courses the PGA plays more often.

As far as spectator friendly, my definition is walkable because that's what I like to do. This is a totally different event with less players and way more people, so that probably isn't feasible anyway.
Yes...they mowed the fescue for the Open which allowed the bombers to swing away.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The Open? Are you thinking Erin Hills maybe? They've played 3 PGAs here but no US Opens.
Yesterday
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

The Open? Are you thinking Erin Hills maybe? They've played 3 PGAs here but no US Opens.
Yes...yes i am. disregard.
LHIOB
AG
Theres nothing like the Ryder Cup. I went in 2012 and its the best event Ive ever attended. Ive been to 40ish CFB stadiums, World Series, Allen Field House, Indy 500, Daytona 500, Wrestlemania, Sweet 16s, the CWS and other events. The Ryder Cup takes the cake. Its CFB+the Olympics+Golf. If you can go, go.
TXAG 05
AG
What is the best day to go, Sunday?
ORAggieFan
Cstrickland05 said:

What is the best day to go, Sunday?
I'm looking at Fri or Sat, more interested in the pairs than individuals. But, if the US is leading and wins, hard to say Sunday wouldn't be best.
Dr.Pepper7
AG
How was it navigating the course? With so few groups i feel like its hard to see much action, but hey it does look like an absolute party.
LHIOB
AG
Dr.Pepper7 said:

How was it navigating the course? With so few groups i feel like its hard to see much action, but hey it does look like an absolute party.

We got there at 7am and got a spot on the ropes about 30 yards down from the 1st tee. After the first few groups we went up and posted up on 4 before it got busy. We kept bouncing around staying ahead until all the groups were on the course. We moved over to 17 where we could see down the 18th tee box. Stayed there thru all the carnage.

Medina had a poor set up since we had to use bridges to get to most of the course. The bridges also gave good views so they were packed and pretty much only had one "lane" of people going each way.
Prior22
AG
Would never deter anyone from attending one of the coolest events in sports, but you're in for an absolute beating when it comes to viewing the action. Atmosphere at Hazeltine and Medinah was electric. That being said, each match had a crowd that was at least 7-10 deep. Literally saw only a handful of shots the entire week. You spend more time fighting the crowds and craning your neck that it makes more sense to post up on a hole and catch the action. Only problem is you get to see a handful of shots before racing to another hole and hoping there's a spot. Love the event. Just hate the fact you get to see so little golf.
OAg
AG
You only won the right to get in a queue. From the website, "Due to high demand, having an access code does not guarantee you a chance to buy tickets. Available inventory may vary depending on when you're able to access the sale."

Your position in the queue is randomly assigned. You could be waiting at your computer a long time for your spot to open up.

grego
AG
Would say it is probably the worst major sporting event I've ever been to. Went to hazeltine. Super packed and you couldn't see a thing or really even follow what was happening. Straits would be bette due to the hills letting you see from farther away.
dallasiteinsa02
OAg said:

You only won the right to get in a queue. From the website, "Due to high demand, having an access code does not guarantee you a chance to buy tickets. Available inventory may vary depending on when you're able to access the sale."

Your position in the queue is randomly assigned. You could be waiting at your computer a long time for your spot to open up.

That is what I am doing now. This is like the Masters lottery but a multiple step denial instead of one email. *******s.

Both really need to make it where you pick up your bags at the tournament to prevent scalping. It would be logistics problem but would cut about 75% of the buyers out of the pool.
GIF Reactor
AG
This is really a crock of poop. They are making you to sit and watch a little walking stick figure for a progress bar while you are in line to buy tickets -- with no guarantee you'll actually get tickets. They should just handle the selection process like the Masters and be done. What a waste of time.
dallasiteinsa02
It would be better if you could at least see the number remaining.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Yea, I logged on to check it out and saw that. I'm out. This builds up zero excitement for the Ryder cup for me. Oh well
dallasiteinsa02
based on my little white guy, i should get tickets someone time tomorrow.
GIF Reactor
AG
He must have seen that I typed that, because he has stopped on block #4 of the progress bar.
GIF Reactor
AG
Match day tickets are sold out -- notification just popped up at the bottom of the waiting window.
JHUAggie
match day tickets sold out.
Weekly packages and practice days remain
14TheRoad
AG
Just got in to see that only practice rounds are available now. Left without purchasing tickets. Oh well.
Mr.Bond
AG
I 1000 percent knew this would be a **** show
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

giddings_ag_06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I 1000 percent knew this would be a **** show

I went from feeling like I hit the jackpot on a $10 slot machine to realizing I just won my $1 back on a penny slot. Buzz kill
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.