High Ball Flight

2,816 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by garym2001
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I consistently hit the ball much much higher with all clubs than anyone in my usual group despite similar lofts. I am still one of the longer players in our group, but I imagine I am losing distance/rollout with this ball flight. Is anyone else like this and is it some sort of swing mechanic that can be corrected causes it?
G Martin 87
AG
Wish I had that problem. Maybe check your setup to see if you're playing the ball too far forward?
watty
AG
Why is it something you want to change?
TX_Aggie37
AG
watty said:

It's not necessarily something I want to change, I'm just curious what it is about my swing/setup that could be causing it. And it potentially could be costing me distance off the tee particularly. It may be a good thing I don't know.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Post a Pic of your impact position
Old Tom Morris
I'm a similar player to you. Hit it longer than most the guys I play with, and I tend to hit the ball quite high. I try not to obsess about it too much because my trackman #'s are actually quite good, but one thing I do pay attention to is to make sure I"m not releasing the club early so that my wrists are breaking down. There's happy long distance high and then there is ballooning distance costing high that I try to make sure doesn't creep in. For me, I've found that if my hands are in a good position in address (pressed slighlty forward properly), then that tends to prevent me slopping into some kind of early release.
Wildcat
AG
I'm not particularly long (in any department) and also tend to flight the ball high. The camera revealed that I had fallen into the habit of an early release of the hands. I've been really focused on it recently. Trajectory is much better.
jja79
AG
Have you tried topping it?
Wildcat
AG
Every time I top one, I just get new irons.
Sueshade10
AG
I had the same issue. Launch angle results mostly from the type of shafts you use and your swing speed. I recommend getting fitted and seeing what shafts are best for a lower launch angle. I wanted to keep my high launch angle with my shorter irons so I kept the normal shafts in those. Good luck to you!
HouAggie
AG
Sounds like you have decent or better swing speed, and are flippy at impact. As someone mentioned, this is bad news with ballooning, especially into the wind. I've been there.
HouAggie
AG
Sueshade10 said:

I had the same issue. Launch angle results mostly from the type of shafts you use and your swing speed. I recommend getting fitted and seeing what shafts are best for a lower launch angle. I wanted to keep my high launch angle with my shorter irons so I kept the normal shafts in those. Good luck to you!

Most folks I know would prefer to lower launch and flight in the short irons. Interesting that you're looking for the opposite.
Sueshade10
AG
Its definitely a unique stance. I find that I can control my ball flight better and control balls on greens that are drier or have tighter pins. I can still punch shots when I need to have a lower ball flight.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Have you considered using a heavier ball?
Forum Troll
AG
Post some numbers. Pros hit the ball incredibly high especially with driver. If you've got decent enough speed you are likely going to apex between 80 and 130 feet.
mm98
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Have you considered using a heavier ball?
oldschool87
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

watty said:

It's not necessarily something I want to change, I'm just curious what it is about my swing/setup that could be causing it. And it potentially could be costing me distance off the tee particularly. It may be a good thing I don't know.
100% chance you have an open stance. If not you would be on tour...
CapCity12thMan
AG
we need numbers. Hitting it "further than your playing partners" is like saying you are the tallest midget. Give us some numbers. Real ones.
BigHitterDaLama
In before the "I carry my 7 iron 190 yards" gets posted
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The high ball flight isn't concerning
Can you hit a knockdown or a low burner when you need / want to.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

In before the "I carry my 7 iron 190 yards" gets posted

Didn't know we had such short hitters here. That's my 58 degree distance (75% of course).
G-Town Cracker
AG
I used to. As others have stated, it was primarily due to casting the club. Swapping my old shafts out for some C-tapers helped a bunch as well. I still hit it plenty high, but the trajectory is much better.
garym2001
AG
I'm a 1 handicap and have thought for a long time that I hit the ball too high. I recently played in a USGA qualifier with a couple +2s and they hit the ball higher than anyone I've ever seen. Hitting the ball high isn't really an issue if your spin numbers are lower and your descent angle isn't too high.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.