houston open field

5,922 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NColoradoAG
Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the list is going up but it looks like burgoon, champ and chandler phillips will be playing.
Mr.Bond
AG
I would imagine Champ is completely contingent on his grandfathers health
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

NColoradoAG
Link to the list? There was a page on the website but it seems to be gone now.
Mr.Bond
AG
I think players have until 4 pm today to decide
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

07fta07
AG
I think I read they'll announce the final field today at 5:00
AustinCountyAg
field list is now posted. It is absolute crap
Austintm
What did you expect for an October tournament?
07fta07
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Like we've all been saying since it got moved to October. It'll be even worse next year likely.
E
AG
List looks exactly like all other October and beginning of season events... lots of Aggies and Longhorns too
Rubble
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Were you expecting it to be good? The top players won't show up a week before all the overseas tournaments...
Rubble
AG
The tour has done no favors to Texas at all. The 2 biggest tournaments in the state now wrap around a major, and one of them is played on a course that flat out shouldn't host a regular tour event.

The new Frisco courses can't be built fast enough!
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Safeway got good draw last week
E
AG
LantanaAg said:

The tour has done no favors to Texas at all. The 2 biggest tournaments in the state now wrap around a major, and one of them is played on a course that flat out shouldn't host a regular tour event.

The new Frisco courses can't be built fast enough!

The tour has done no favors for Texas or has Texas not done much to help itself?

Shell dropped the sponsorship of the SHO and Houston couldn't find anyone to sponsor, thus lost its standard spot in rotation and a year of play because Houston couldn't get its stuff together. And the one that shouldn't host a tournament I'm assuming is the Byron Nelson or Charles Schwab? I'm sure DFW could find a much more suitable courses....

On the other hand, I'd say the WGC Dell Match Play in austin has been well received.
Rubble
AG
The Byron. Nothing against Trinity Forest as a golf course, but it's a terrible venue for a PGA tournament.

Colonial is a great course and venue for a tournament, not to mention the longest running tournament at the same course on tour. It just sucks that it now gets thrown in a week after the PGA.

I agree on the Match Play, but it's not technically a PGA Tour run event (nor are any of the majors or WGC events for that matter). I could be wrong, but I don't think the PGA Tour has a say on where it's played.
Mr.Bond
AG
My god what a TERRIBLE field..... Headliner is..... Henrik Stenson?? Couldn't even get local boy and everyone's favorite Patrick Reed???

jja79
AG
After watching the Alabama beatdown I'm going to the Big 12 match play when I get back to town Sunday. Watching Matthew Wolff and Victor Hovland last year was really fun.
Austintm
E said:

On the other hand, I'd say the WGC Dell Match Play in austin has been well received.
It has been. Part of that is because it is a WGC event, but it's also helped by the great setting/scenery that looks good on TV, and a quirky course that has a lot of risk/reward holes that work well in match play. And the time of year doesn't hurt either temperatures are typically pretty great. We have been out 2 years, and really enjoyed it. My understanding is that the players like it because they and their wives/so's like coming to Austin.n When this was played at Dove Mountain, they hated the course and the location, which is remote from both Phoenix and Tucson (by the way, we've stayed at the Ritz there and I've played all 27 holes the course is nice desert golf, but the green as are stupid even by typical Nicklaus standards. It is a nice get away from everything resort, though)
Gig-Em2003
AG
All the big players go to Asia for a few weeks. Asian Tour can pay appearance fees so those guys get $1MM+ just to show up. Brooks / DJ / Fowler have all committed to play next year at Memorial as they are big buds with Jim Crane. Field will be a lot better next year.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mr.Bond said:

My god what a TERRIBLE field..... Headliner is..... Henrik Stenson?? Couldn't even get local boy and everyone's favorite Patrick Reed???
They had commitments from Reed and Koepka, both backed out along with others....
Jeff Patel
AG
Why would the PGA stars play in a tournament with a 1.2 mil first place check when they can make a Mil just for showing up at the Kuwait Sandhill Classic.

I wouldn't hold my breath on anyone but Kopeka next year.
JYDog90
AG
Quite the field.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/houston-open/field.html
Formerly Willy Wonka
LCE
AG
Didn't know Kevin Stadler was still playing
The Lost
Shocked that no one is excited to see smylie play on thursday and friday.

Not having a sponsor has to hurt when it comes to getting some of the big names to come too. This time of year you basically need sponsors pulling in a few names, cuz they aint coming just to play in houston.
JYDog90
AG
The list I saw said Smylie was an alternate.
Formerly Willy Wonka
AustinCountyAg
https://golfweek.com/2019/10/08/houston-open-astros-foundation-new-fall-slot/
jja79
AG
Whether they're top players or not these guys are really good and you'll see good golf if you go. Someone will probably win his first tournament and that can be fun to watch.
07fta07
AG
Watching on PGA tour live and the course looks like **** compared to years past. They really need that overseed.
Harry Stone
AG
07fta07 said:

Watching on PGA tour live and the course looks like **** compared to years past. They really need that overseed.

probably because they dont have to get it 'Masters ready' anymore
07fta07
AG
Harry Stone said:

07fta07 said:

probably because they dont have to get it 'Masters ready' anymore

They're done overseeding. That's the difference.
Mr.Bond
AG
Overseeding killed the course for 3 months in the summer

07fta07
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Overseeding killed the course for 3 months in the summer

I completely understand why they don't do it. But it definitely makes the course look worse when they don't do it, but I guess they probably don't really have a choice anyways with the tournament being in the fall now versus the spring.

I'm just used to it looking absolutely pristine and it looks pretty bad right now.
aggiedent
AG
There must be 5 guys on the front page of the leaderboard who I have never heard of.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
The overseed (believe it was a rye mix) vs. the bermuda will have a completely different appearance. Very different grasses. Will have different look, feel, and play.

That aside, the stands appear completely empty. Not a good look.
Mr.Bond
AG
Entire scenario leads to nothing but poor attendance. It's a ****y field during a time where football is King and the Astros are in the playoffs that's a recipe for disaster as far as attendance goes

jonj101
I'm here now and posting about it - which should be an indicator of how much it has fallen. Some of the people seated in the box by me are openly debating the identity of the players.

I've volunteered in previous years and it sucks to see the decline of this event. Yes, it's a Friday and there are other factors such as forecast and other sporting events, etc, but I've never seen it like this.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.