Tempest Golf Club - Gladewater

2,608 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by claybot
BB675
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever play at Tempest Golf Club in Gladewater? My in laws live in Pittsburg and I stumbled across Tempest while looking for local golf courses. The course looks awesome on their website.
DallasAggie89
AG
Played it a couple of months ago. I loved the course.

Few areas that could use some maturing (normal for a new course). #11 is a par 4 that they temporarily converted to a par 3 to do some drainage work in the fairway. I would guess that has been completed by now.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
playing next month with customers...pretty excited.
flogmat
AG
It's awesome. Especially if you remember the old setup. I'm going again next month when I visit my folks. You'll enjoy it.
tamu2009
AG
It's a great layout. Same guy that did the Cowboys club in Dallas. It's only a year old, so all things considered, it's fantastic and will only get better. It does still need to mature, but from what pops has told me, it's leaps and bounds better shape than last year. Look forward to playing every time I'm in East Texas.
FirefightAg
AG
Played it twice. once right after it opened and then again this summer. I like the layout and it was in good shape in my opinion. There were a few places that I think they let grow out to mature and would be better and less punishing if mowed to normal course conditions.
BB675
AG
Played this course on Friday. They had just punched the fairways on the front 9. Other than that, the course was awesome!
C ROC N
Hate to hear they punched the fairways, my son has a college golf tournament out there in 2 weeks. He says the fairways are super wet, but the greens are hard and fast more like sand based greens that don't hold.
BB675
AG
His assessment is spot on. I couldn't get over how fast the greens were.
C ROC N
Sons golf tournament is coming up this Monday and Tuesday! Will take some pictures and let yall know what the conditions are for the course.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
ruddyduck said:

playing next month with customers...pretty excited.

very nice track for the area.

the driving range could use some work though.
C ROC N
About to play The Tempest today, I will try to remember to take some pictures. Hopefully she flies straight today,lol!
C ROC N
Wow, once it grows in fully and the greens mature it will be very nice. From the tips you better drive it straight, lol. Took me a few holes to get used to the speed of the greens and chipping. The practice green is considerably slower than the course greens. Driving range needs alot of work. Bar area is pretty nice. Greens roll out on all approaches and you can play it off the surrounding hills to funnel it back to the pin. Once you figure out all the quarks, I believe you can score. Some blind shots, but overall you can see where your drives land. A couple of holes from the tips the power lines come into play on your drive. Bunkers have hard surface about an inch or so below the sand surface so watch out for the bounce back. Just needs to mature a little more!
claybot
AG
Played it for the first time on Saturday. REALLY impressed. It's a fantastic layout and in great shape. I grew up in Longview, and this is by far the best course I've played in the area. There are some super fun holes out there. Anybody planning a Pine Dunes weekend should include this on the itinerary also just over an hour away.
irish pete ag06
AG
I'm an East Texas boy and played the previous Shallow Creek and Southern Hills many many times. I loved the layout, the risk/reward opportunities, etc. I didn't like the clay they are battling in the fairways. They have punched many of the fairways many times to help with this, but this was the same problem that the previous courses had and I'd really hoped they had brought in enough top soil to alleviate it. Doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe if they continue to fight the battle appropriately, the fairways will lush up to Pine Dunes type levels.

Excited for its future, most definitely!
claybot
AG
Agree about the clay. I think they will be battling erosion control too. Hope they invest in long-term fixes versus just bandaids. But for the time being it's playing nice!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.