How hard is it to get Ryder Cup tickets?

9,022 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OAg
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got an email at work offering the opportunity to buy Ryder Cup tickets at face value for 2020.

Is this a once in a lifetime opportunity? Or is this not as good as winning the Masters lottery.

Wouldn't dream of reselling something offered to me through work. I would almost guarantee there is a rule against it. I'm not in the ideal situation to go to Wisconsin either (3 kids under 5).
God save the Patriarchy!
Rubble
AG
It's not once in a lifetime. You could probably get tickets every 4 years if you try hard enough or know someone in the golf business (or for 2020 know someone that works for Kohler).

The Masters is the closest thing to an impossible ticket at face value as it gets in sports.
aggietony2010
AG
Thanks. I don't have connections in the golf industry, but this seems more like a spark to consider planning a trip, and less like an "act now or regret it for life."

I may still buy them, but at least now I don't have to act so fast that I have to explain to my wife why I bought $2000 worth of golf tickets for me and 3 unnamed guests.
God save the Patriarchy!
rosco511
AG
I went to the Ryder Cup in 2012. I was glad I got to experience it because it was a bucket list item. With that said, it is not something I would make a special trip to attend again, especially for the Friday and Saturday play. Due to the limited number of players on the course and the crowds, it is difficult to actually see a lot of golf shots. The atmosphere is great and would recommend as a bucket list item but would not recommend spending all 3 days out there.
garym2001
AG
completely agree. I wouldn't go back. With so few groups on the course at any given time, there is very little golf to be seen. Much better event for TV. Save your $ and go to The Masters.
The Lost
While I agree with what others have said, Whistling Straits is gorgeous and a great place to go. Went to the PGA Championship there in 2015 or whatever year that was. Awesome experience. Not the Masters, but fun if you can swing it for a day.
DallasAggie89
AG
What rosco said x1000.

Went to the 2008 Ryder Cup at Valhalla. Tried to watch some of the play but it was 10 deep on every hole as only four matches were going. Ended up going to the pavilion and drinking beer with some Euros and watching the action on TV.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The Lost said:

While I agree with what others have said, Whistling Straits is gorgeous and a great place to go. Went to the PGA Championship there in 2015 or whatever year that was. Awesome experience. Not the Masters, but fun if you can swing it for a day.

If I was going to Whistling Straits, then I'm going there to play golf.
Mr. Frodo
AG
I was at Valhalla ... and will never forget opening tee shots on day one--- gotta be the toughest tee shot in golf. The air is electric-- sounds cliche but so true. That and being at Indianapolis 500, sitting close to the starting line, when the cars roll around for the first lap are some of my greatest words-can't-really-describe sports moments. I agree with the sentiments about the difficulties but you can make that point vs tv for most all live sports. In my mind it's a bucket list sort of thing-- glad I did it but don't really feel the need to go back. If you like the Ryder Cup you should try to check that box. It's not that hard of a ticket to get, certainly not the masters, so suspect you can create another opportunity.
I Am A Critic
LantanaAg said:

It's not once in a lifetime. You could probably get tickets every 4 years if you try hard enough or know someone in the golf business (or for 2020 know someone that works for Kohler).

The Masters is the closest thing to an impossible ticket at face value as it gets in sports.

The Super Bowl says hi.
Username checks out.
JHUAggie
I'll take any practice rounds tickets ;-)

Went to Whistling Straits for the PGA Championship. Great views of Lake Michigan. Great views of several holes if you were willing to climb up a some large hills. Fun little trip with a coworker.

Went to Hazeltine in 2016 for the Tuesday practice round. Crowded, but not as bad as I thought it would be. My son and I followed the Spieth and Reed pod (and whoever else was with them that day). We were able to get up to the ropes at the tee box and then again at the greenside bunker Spieth was practicing out of on the same hole. No way we would have been able to do that during match play.

I am hoping to get lucky with the lottery to be able to purchase tickets. I need to pay back my wife's uncle who gave me the free ticket to Hazeltine.
Out in Left Field
AG
I Am A Critic said:

LantanaAg said:

The Super Bowl says hi.

Ya but who actually wants to go to a Super Bowl??
The Lost
AggieDruggist89 said:

The Lost said:

If I was going to Whistling Straits, then I'm going there to play golf.

Completely fair, a trip to kohler is definitely on my list.

But sitting on 13 and watching the pros go by was a great memory/day in my life.
grego
AG
Went to hazeltine. Fun atmosphere but impossible to watch golf. Very few screens and they turn them off as groups start to get close. And beer lines were incredibly long.
The Lost
Got an email today about being selected to be able to get tickets, didn't realize how expensive they are, for the minimal golf you see.
Rubble
AG
I got the same email. Almost seems like no one really won, just trying to get people to spend money?
NColoradoAG
Also got the "winning" email
E
AG
I think we all won
Shiner Bock
AG
I "won"
giddings_ag_06
AG
When's yalls registration? Mine is October 16th morning.
cb1919
AG
I also "won"!

Mine is Oct 16th in the morning
DuckDown2013
AG
Also won.
DuckDown2013
AG
Definitely plan on going. Even if it's only to get away from Texas weather.
Big Al 1992
AG
Yep - got mine. Undecided. Nothing like when I received the Masters lottery email - most years you get the flush letter but I got tix in 2015 - felt like Charlie Bucket finding a golden ticket to Wonka's chocolate factory.
Baron von Bulsh
I "won" too. Is there anyone here who didn't win?
The Lost
Baron von Bulsh said:

I'm going with demand isn't that high or whistling holds a sheet ton (probably both). A buddy and my gf got it too, haven't heard someone who applied not get it. \_()_/
Baron von Bulsh
The Lost said:

Baron von Bulsh said:

I'm going with demand isn't that high or whistling holds a sheet ton (probably both). A buddy and my gf got it too, haven't heard someone who applied not get it. \_()_/

****, I don't feel near as special as I did earlier today
Shiner Bock
AG
hotels in the general vicinity are booked solid..ya im gonna pass
The Lost
Shiner Bock said:

hotels in the general vicinity are booked solid..ya im gonna pass
It's not a bad drive at all from milwaukee. There are tons of reasons not to go, i just wouldnt use the hotel as one.
OAg
AG
You need to read the details. You "won" the right to get in a queue that will have a random order. There is not guarantee that you to get to buy tickets. It will depend on your randomly assigned place in the queue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.