Club Champion Club Fitting

8,968 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jj9000
jmac_aggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't check the golf forum that frequently.

Has anyone done a fitting at club champion? Reviews?

Better than golftec?
Ag_07
AG
It's not bad but it's not the best experience I've had.

Whatever you do DON"T buy the clubs there. It's highway robbery. Get your spec sheet printed out and go somewhere else to buy and put them together.

Where are you located? If in the Houston area forget Club Champion and head to Impact Precision Golf. They're great guys that know what they're doing. I won't be going anywhere else for club fitting needs.
jmac_aggie06
AG
Thanks for the reply. I live in Chicago, so don't have that option.

Up here it's Club Champion, Golftec, PGA Superstore, and True Spec.
rosco511
AG
I had very good experiences with Club Champion. I would recommend them.
jmac_aggie06
AG
Thanks rosco. Would you buy clubs from them or piece them together elsewhere?
investorAg83
AG
jmac_aggie06 said:

Thanks rosco. Would you buy clubs from them or piece them together elsewhere?

Don't buy the clubs from them.
jmac_aggie06
AG
Well, I'm sure as **** going to listen to someone with the name investor.
garym2001
AG
They do a great job at fitting. They get a baseline with your current set up, and then fit you for the proper shaft. If you don't want an "upgraded" shaft, let them know and they will find a good standard shaft for you. Once you've identified the shaft, they can put it in all the different heads and you hit those until you find the right one. They have trackman and will look at smash factor, launch angle, carry distance, spin, etc.

Once done, they will give you a printout of the specs and a price. As mentioned, DO NOT BUY from them unless you have unlimited funds. Take your specs and email Discount Dan's. Their prices will be 60% of what Club Champion will quote you.
rosco511
AG
I bought my clubs from them, but as others have indicated, they are likely going to be more expensive. I had several reasons for why I bought my clubs from them. It was less hassle for me to just have them do it and also more trust that my clubs conform to the spec sheet.

The other and primary reason is that I appreciate this type of fitting service and access, so I am willing to pay more to ensure that they are around the next time I need it. If everyone just used them for the fitting and did not actually purchase the clubs from them, this type of business would not survive. I liked that they basically had every club head and shaft available for the fitting and know that the fitting fee is not enough for them to be able to offer this type of service and selection so understand and am willing to pay them a mark up for this service and variety in the ultimate price of the clubs.
garym2001
AG
It's not so much that they mark them up, it's the way they operate that makes them expensive. With Club Champion you are getting as close to a "Tour" build as possible. They are going to order your irons from Titleist, rip the shafts out, put in custom shafts/grips, and then they put the shaft through a 'Puring" process. You end up paying for two shafts and grips for each club along with another $30/club to "Pure" it. It adds about $100 to each club for things that 99.9% people don't really need.
rosco511
AG
My experience was different on the price comparisons. The price difference was not anywhere close to an extra $100 per club.
jmac_aggie06
AG
Really good insights. Are they pushing graphite shafts or is it a combination of steel and graphite with them guiding you towards the right mix of shaft/club head?

I don't want to pay more than $1200 for a set, so that'll enter in the decision making.

Happy to a premium up to $1200 because I see Rosco's point on the clubs being exact and supporting their business.
Front Range Ag
AG
I have a similar question as the OP.

I've never been fitted before, but have scheduled it for this Thursday.

I'm getting some pointers then a fitting from a PGA instructor who has his own instructional/fitting facility. Would there be an advantage to doing it this way as opposed to a bigger group like the ones previously mentioned?
cb1919
AG
garym2001 said:

They do a great job at fitting. They get a baseline with your current set up, and then fit you for the proper shaft. If you don't want an "upgraded" shaft, let them know and they will find a good standard shaft for you. Once you've identified the shaft, they can put it in all the different heads and you hit those until you find the right one. They have trackman and will look at smash factor, launch angle, carry distance, spin, etc.

Once done, they will give you a printout of the specs and a price. As mentioned, DO NOT BUY from them unless you have unlimited funds. Take your specs and email Discount Dan's. Their prices will be 60% of what Club Champion will quote you.
That is a mistake I made. I went in for a driver fitting about a year ago and went through the whole process. They had me dialed in (as much as you can dial in my game) and was hitting the driver great...."yeah this shaft is $400." I heard that and left.

I went back for a putter fitting a few months ago and that was great. I bought it there but with the putter it is the same price I would've paid at a Golf Galaxy/similar store. First time I have ever bought a new club and saw an immediate impact on the course. In the case of my putter, it was most certainly the arrow and not the Indian, at least that's what I'm going with.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think you're gonna get out of Club Champion for $1200

Not to say you can't get into a nice custom set at that price point but based on the couple fittings I've been to there I'd be surprised if they can get you into something at that price.

For example...I did a driver fitting there and they quoted $900 just for a driver.
93MarineHorn
I did a complete bag at Club Champion a couple of years ago. I've given the following advice a couple of times: Don't get too caught up in the numbers. Watching the stats closely will push you into setups that may not feel as good at impact as others. Ultimately, that will affect performance negatively. Pick the club that feels best and has close to the best numbers.

I wouldn't do CC again. I didn't like hitting off astroturf and into a wall. I want to see the ball flight.
Burner Username
How do the quoted club prices at Impact Precision compare to Club Champion?
jgh85Ag
AG
As I posted on my thread, if you want to get a feel for the CC process, book the free PXG 30 minute fitting. The offer goes through mid September I believe.
FTAco07
AG
Club Champion is a great fitting, but you aren't going to get out of there with a set of anything for $1,200. As an example, a set of Taylormade P790 irons off the rack are over $1,000.

As others have said, Club Champion prices are all MSRP, same as everywhere else, but it gets expensive because they won't fit you for a "standard" set. You pay MSRP for the clubs, the shafts, and the grips. I do wish they would at least have a factory standard shaft option available for everything, but that's not how it works so you're looking at $50-$100 a shaft for irons (steel) and $150+ for woods on top of normal club pricing.

I had a fitting there and am very happy with my clubs, but unless you're committed to spending $3-$5k for a full bag I would look for a more generic fitting with manufacturer spec clubs.

That said, putters are all standard so if you want to get fitted for a new putter and have them adjust length, lie, loft, and change grips it's a great place to go.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Curious how this works with a manufacturer like Mizuno, who offers a lot of shaft options with no added fees.

Does CC ONLY have shaft options which are not available from the manufacturers? Would you still pay the upgrade fee for a DG S300, for instance?
jmac_aggie06
AG
This is a brilliant idea...

Thanks, jgh85AG.
jmac_aggie06
AG
Good information about not getting out of there for less than $1200. I read an article that said a set of Mizunos set them back $2000.
FTAco07
AG
I'm not sure what shafts Mizuno offers as factory options, and don't know if Club Champion would even have DG S300s as an option. They only stock loose shafts and loose heads to get fitted on, no already assembled factory clubs to compare.

They will order you factory built clubs if that's what you really want, but they won't give you the full club champion "guarantee" to change things up or Re-fit since they didn't build the clubs.

It's not a place designed for the casual or cost sensitive golfer.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Most manufacturers have some (limited) factory shaft options that you can order at no extra cost. Then, there are upgrade shafts that can be ordered from the manufacturer, when you purchase a new set of irons, for an additional cost.

Mizuno offers lots of shaft/grip options at no additional cost:

https://www.mizunousa.com/category/shafts+and+grips.do?gc=100939&sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=all

And, as you can see, most of the shafts you've heard of (or at least those that I'VE heard of) are included.

So, if I went to CC for Mizuno irons, would some of the added cost be negated? Or, do they offer only shafts that are specific to CC and essentially not commercially available?
FTAco07
AG
I don't know for sure so you would have to ask, but since they want to build all the clubs themselves I am guessing any factory options wouldn't impact the pricing.
jj9000
AG
Be prepared to be fit into Oban 115 iron shafts.

Or, Accra iron shafts if you go graphite.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The Grey Patch said:

Pretty much the same. The guys that run the place used to work for CC and basically copy the business model. I went to Impact last year and got fitted for my Srixons. Very knowledgeable guys and was happy with the result. Ask for Major if you go. Good guy.
tboag
AG
For those that have been fitted at Club Champion...were your full Trackman stats available to you after your fitting? I basically did the full-bag testing blind, so I wouldn't be too influenced by my existing opinions on shafts/clubheads. It worked out great until I saw the price tag of $5,600. So now I'm interested in getting my full Trackman numbers so I can compare which setups performed reasonably close to each other, so I have more options for sourcing used components. I emailed to ask for them to provide the numbers, but I haven't heard back yet.
hot dog
AG
tboag said:

For those that have been fitted at Club Champion...were your full Trackman stats available to you after your fitting? I basically did the full-bag testing blind, so I wouldn't be too influenced by my existing opinions on shafts/clubheads. It worked out great until I saw the price tag of $5,600. So now I'm interested in getting my full Trackman numbers so I can compare which setups performed reasonably close to each other, so I have more options for sourcing used components. I emailed to ask for them to provide the numbers, but I haven't heard back yet.

Yes, I was able to get them with no issues.
07fta07
AG
The Grey Patch said:

I just got irons done at Impact. They're more than off the rack, but you aren't paying for 2 shafts like someone said above. They order the head, shaft, and grip separately. I think I paid about $1450 for my Srixon 785/Z forged combo where they'd be $1000 in a store somewhere.
Ag_07
AG
Not sure Club Champion does it but Impact knocked off the fitting fee from my total.

I think they also stated that puring the shafts is included in the building fee so it's not an add-on like CC.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

For those that have been fitted at Club Champion...were your full Trackman stats available to you after your fitting?
Yes. Getting those should be no problem.
htownag2007
AG
I got fitted there earlier this year and ended up with Ping i500's with one of the shaft options offered by Ping (Project X LZ). So I didn't pay any extra. After I hit a few shafts, I asked him which are factory Ping options. Luckily for me, the ones I hit best were available.
Not saying it's common to walk out of there for MSRP pricing, but it is possible.
Earp16
AG
FWIW, I got fitted last March at MK Golf Tech in San Antonio. Purchased a set of Mizuno JPX irons and two Titleist wedges for just over $1200. After getting my baseline on current set, I told them my budget was $1000 for a new set of irons. They told me that wouldn't be a problem. After hitting Ping, Titliest and Taylormades I eventually landed on the Mizuno's (actually second set I hit). I would have come in under budget, but was ok with spending a little more on the wedges.
jgh85Ag
AG
I got fitted at MK 2 years ago. Good guys.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.