playing in 100+ heat

2,954 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 5C
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got out and played in the afternoon Saturday and yesterday. Hot as hell but WIDE OPEN. Played nine holes in about 45 minutes.

If you're like me and you've been too busy to play golf lately, I highly recommend this strategy. Huge portion of that time you're in the cart and cruising so you've got some breeze. Grab a few bottles of water and it's actually not too bad at all.
shaynew1
AG
Summer golf is my favorite. But work and babies have tomahawked all my summer playin.
khaos288
AG
I try to keep some ice in the cooler. Dip my hands in there occasionally and then dry off with the towel. Saves gloves and keeps me cool.

Played Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and after 4, and Sunday at 9:30. Barely broke a sweat.
schwabbin
AG
Definitely agree. Played last week in about 2.5 hours. Didn't run into another person the whole round.
agsalaska
AG
I am generally a cold weather fan, with golf being the one major exception. The hotter the better. Played yesterday and it was perfect. 100 degrees, about a club to club and a half wind, and some nice passing clouds. Course was firm and fast. Love it.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Duckhook
AG
My wife can't believe we're playing as usual in this weather. Lots of water, finding shade as much as possible, dressing right, etc. It also helps that my regular group are all pretty fast players. Our big game tees off between 10 - 10:30 on Saturday, and we always go off first. If my foursome doesn't finish in 3:15, it's because we got held up somewhere.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Moved to Oregon a few months ago. Courses out here are empty if it's above 90.
schwabbin
AG
I'm headed to Detroit this week to play in a charity deal with a customer. I'm sure I will hear folks griping about it being 85.
Shiner Bock
AG
y'all enjoy it, i'll continue with the 0700 summer tee times
DannyDuberstein
AG
I play a mix of dawn patrol and afternoon burners. This weekend was a prime example. 2nd group off on Saturday AM as soon as it was light enough to see anything, then played at 4pm on Sunday.

I do enjoy the high heat because, to the OP's point, it clears the course. I use those thin white flour sack kitchen towels, soak them in ice water, and then keep one around my neck for all but when I go to hit a shot. Then I either bring a cooler to rotate them or just re-soak in ice water every time there is a water cooler, which at my home course is every 2 holes. Squeeze the excess water out and they are very light weight while being long enough to easily drape over your neck/shoulders. Ends up being very tolerable.

DannyDuberstein
AG
And if you want to create your own AC, you put one of those freshly chilled towels over your head like the Iron Sheik while generating some air flow with the cart.
Aggieangler93
AG
We played 18 yesterday and went off at 12:45. It was really warm near the end, but we kept hydrating and made it through fine. We played through one 4some, as we were a 2some, and we cruised the rest of the way through. I think we took maybe 3 hours for 18 holes on a course we didn't know. Having no one in front of you helped. I also avoided almost all the bunkers except for 2.

So not terrible. I am starting to get my game back in shape some, if I could just get off the tee better. Getting old sucks.
jj9000
AG
I highly recommend this stuff as well.

https://nuunlife.com/
Chipotlemonger
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Moved to Oregon a few months ago. Courses out here are empty if it's above 90.
Yea the people in these areas just don't realize how good they got it with respect to the temp!
DeBoss
AG
Have you actually noticed that working any better than a gatorade? Or is it just less sugar?
AggieOC
AG
I live in deep South Texas the Rio Grade Valley in Mission. Over 100 is the norm down here but what sucks these past few month is our golf courses have began to dry up. We need a good rain pour to get the greens looking good again.
Chipotlemonger
AG
They work great. I love them.
5C
AG
Frozen Jack and Coke slush at cowboys
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.