I played 18 with Steven Bowditch in a money game.

4,206 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agsalaska
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those that don't know him he won the Byron Nelson and Valero Open a few years back. He's probably more infamous for his game's complete collapse and his sense of humor about it.

Anyhow, he's good friends with a mini tour guy at our club and came out for our Friday money game. I was the C player in the group playing a best 3 gross, net, skins and some trash like birdies, greenies, sandies etc.

So Steven doesn't warm up, just stops by the halfway house and loads up the cooler with beer and meets us on the first tee. Pipes one down the middle, then to 10' and drains the birdie on the first hole. He went on to shoot a bogey free 65 on a 76 rated 7100 yard course. Certainly not tour level difficult course but not a breeze either.

Several observations. A.). This guy is crazy good. I mean head and shoulders above several +2&3 handicaps we play with. B.) The man crushed a twelve pack while doing it. C.) if you want to root for a guy on the Korn Ferry next year then he's your guy. He was more interested in my thoughts, business, family etc than playing good golf. He was a blast to play with. On one par 3 he was last to hit and figured his 9 iron was too much club but he didn't want to go back to the cart to get a wedge so he just said (Aussi accent) "ah **** it I'll just chip a cut in there." And he did.

He was the big winner due to him shooting his handicap and being on the winning team. His handicap on that course is a +8 btw. Insane.

Cool story bro.
Pahdz
That actually IS a cool story
752bro4
AG
He's buddies with my brother in law. I spent a night with him and his wife, and Boo Weekley and his girlfriend getting absolutely ****-canned.

Both were super cool, humble, and self-deprecating on their golf skills. Steven put down about 15 beers back stage at Billy bob's, and Boo always had 2 crown and cokes in his hand. I had met Boo several times prior, but first time meeting Steven. Didn't know his story, and didn't look him up until the next day. Boo is "a redneck farmer who can play a little golf." He showed up in cargo shorts and a real tree t-shirt.

Steven's wife invited mine for drinks about a week later and she couldn't make it. Need her to re-connect!
AggieDruggist89
AG
752bro4 said:

I spent a night with him and his wife,

Interesting.....
AggieDruggist89
AG
Sounds like he loves his alcohol...
Unemployed
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Why did his game fall apart?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Ag_07
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Is there an Aussie who doesn't?
Yesterday
AG
Troutslime said:

According to his buddy he lost his driver. Not literally but mentally. He could not get off the tee.
TXAGGIES
He played in the Member-Guest at Oakmont last year. On hole 18 (2nd hole of the shootout) he was so hammered he hit 3 wood into the water maybe 30 yards in front of the tee box. So yes, our team finished higher than his.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Love stories like these.
BigHitterDaLama
03ki11erAG said:

Troutslime said:

According to his buddy he lost his driver. Not literally but mentally. He could not get off the tee.
Quit talking to Bond about me.
jonj101
Always interesting to me to hear stories of how good these guys really are compared to legit low handicaps.

I often wonder about amateurs at the elite level and how they compare.
Matsui
AG
That's an amazing story. 0 handicap golfers get crushed by tour players. It isn't even close.
STX Ag
AG
Cool stories bros. Remind me to tell you about the time I played wolf with Roy McAvoy, Happy Gilmore and Judge Smails.
JR Ewingford
I have not met Bowditch (Boo is very good friends with em) but you can find me, Boo, and others at a certain bar in Ft Worth during Colonial. Very humble guy, drinks Natty lights and is as genuine as anyone you will ever meet. The bar actually brings in Natural light the week of Colonial for Boo. The world needs more of these type of guys.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Matsui said:

That's an amazing story. 0 handicap golfers get crushed by tour players. It isn't even close.
A work colleague of mine played at a small college, was a +something hdcp and was thinking of chasing his card. Not sure if it was his coach or if he read it somewhere or what, but the advice he got was to go play two balls and take his worst ball on every shot. And if he wasn't shooting under par consistently playing that way, then he should not waste his time trying to play professionally. He said that was a huge eye opener for him.
Mr.Bond
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

03ki11erAG said:

Troutslime said:

Quit talking to Bond about me.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jonj101
Swollen Thumb said:

Matsui said:

A work colleague of mine played at a small college, was a +something hdcp and was thinking of chasing his card. Not sure if it was his coach or if he read it somewhere or what, but the advice he got was to go play two balls and take his worst ball on every shot. And if he wasn't shooting under par consistently playing that way, then he should not waste his time trying to play professionally. He said that was a huge eye opener for him.
I heard that Greg Norman used to do that, and the best he ever shot was even par. Of course stories change as they're told so there is that.

I also heard that when Dick Harmon was alive and he had some radio show, he told one caller that unless you can roll out of bed and shoot 65 consistently, don't even think about it.
watty
AG
jonj101 said:

Swollen Thumb said:

Matsui said:

I heard that Greg Norman used to do that, and the best he ever shot was even par. Of course stories change as they're told so there is that.

I also heard that when Dick Harmon was alive and he had some radio show, he told one caller that unless you can roll out of bed and shoot 65 consistently, don't even think about it.

Yep that's more like it.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
EwingBarnes said:

I have not met Bowditch (Boo is very good friends with em) but you can find me, Boo, and others at a certain bar in Ft Worth during Colonial. Very humble guy, drinks Natty lights and is as genuine as anyone you will ever meet. The bar actually brings in Natural light the week of Colonial for Boo. The world needs more of these type of guys.
Aka Woodshed
CapCityAg89
AG
jonj101 said:

Always interesting to me to hear stories of how good these guys really are compared to legit low handicaps.

I often wonder about amateurs at the elite level and how they compare.

Read "Paper Tiger". About a college-level guy who gets his publisher to pay for a year trying to make a tour. Really interesting. Early on he says something like - "you know that guy at the club who wins everything - every member guest and every money game. He isn't *****" Funny. And true.

I played in a game in Florida with a bunch of pay to play tour guys. They seemed awesome. Shot 65 regularly. Didn't matter. One guy banged around for a year trying to make a qualifier. His take: "those guys can ****ing putt".
agsalaska
AG
I have told this story on here before, but I played in a shamble one time with Jay Don Blake right after he won the Senior Tour Championship at Harding Park. We were at TPC Vegas on a very windy day

I was hitting from the whites and he was from the tips so we took most of my drives. From 80-110 yards, he got up and down seven out of eight times. It was absolutely ridiculous how good he was in that wind, and it he did it mostly with a 9-iron and pitching wedge to keep it down. He shot I think 10 under by himself using my drives from the short tees. Pretty sure I was +2 or +3. He absolutely whipped me.

Really nice guy too.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.