20 yard flop, over Creek, soggy lie, front pin

3,198 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GCP12
cjsag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do you pull this shot off? Same/lob wedge doesn't bounce, just slides right into the turf.

Do you just swallow the pill and take the safest shot you can knowing you will likely be no closer to the hole with whatever you do from there? I.e. less lofted club, doing everything can to hit ball first, knowing it will most likely go long.
bdgol07
AG
9-ball style - pick a target and hit the ball as solidly as possibly and hope like hell it turns out well.
powerbelly
AG
Pitch it long and hope to make the putt.
AustinCountyAg
grab a 64 degree. Make a good swing. Hit it 75 ft in the air. Jar it.

pretty ****ing simple really
Oyster DuPree
AG
Ideally, flop it over with my 60 degree wedge, land it soft three feet from the cup on the low side, sink the putt for a 4.

Practically, try to flop it, chunk it into the water, throw tantrum, drop ball, blade next shot over the green, blade next shot into water, throw tantrum, give up on hole and put down a 4.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Ideally, flop it over with my 60 degree wedge, land it soft three feet from the cup on the low side, sink the putt for a 4.

Practically, try to flop it, chunk it into the water, throw tantrum, drop ball, blade next shot over the green, blade next shot into water, throw tantrum, give up on hole and put down a 4.
Dad?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Lay down the face and aim to hit the ball with the toe. Quick cock of the wrist and swing aggressive under the ball but the key is keeping your head rock steady and spine angle constant. Easier shot than you think.
shaynew1
AG
Is there a bunch of trash and brush on the creek? Why do I gotta flop it?
cjsag94
AG
Elevated green with a 6 foot retaining wall on the front of the green. Front pin placement.
cjsag94
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Lay down the face and aim to hit the ball with the toe. Quick cock of the wrist and swing aggressive under the ball but the key is keeping your head rock steady and spine angle constant. Easier shot than you think.

Ground is very soft with just a little rain, which we had pass through night before i played. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that shot would be very hard to execute.
Rubble
AG
I've finally learned on shots like that to just get it on the green. It's better to be putting for par, than trying to hit that same shot again for bogey or worse.
cjsag94
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Uh-oh... Is there actual video of what I did somewhere that i need to deal with?

Btw, this is number 18 at High Meadow Ranch for those familiar. There's apparently springs under the ground and there are areas that stay wet with minimal rain on that hole as you approach the green.

I missed a bit on my tee shot, so hit layup into the green. Perfectly executed that as planned, but in hindsight I'd have been better off with 100-120 layup into more solid ground. I knew that area would be wet, but didn't manage it will enough.
Ragoo
AG
Aim for the center of the green.

But define soggy. In the rough with wet grass? Ball sitting down?

Hit it like a sand shot without opening the face of the club.
jackie childs
cjsag94
AG
Not wet grass. Soggy turf and mud with no ground integrity. Not talking plugged ball.

Problem is that any contact of ground before the ball and club head is penetrating the earth and hence no bounce effect on club head.

I'm guessing ball back in stance and hit down and hit the ball first. But then i expect I'll way overshoot target. Or can you play this like a bunker shot and blast it out leaving a big divot (i. e. Will turf and mud behave like sand at all?)

I'd be interested to go practice this... But I'm guessing course super would be displeased!
HouAggie
AG
Soft and mushy enough that you can play it sort of like a bunker shot? i.e. intentional fat shot?
Ragoo
AG
cjsag94 said:

Not wet grass. Soggy turf and mud with no ground integrity. Not talking plugged ball.

Problem is that any contact of ground before the ball and club head is penetrating the earth and hence no bounce effect on club head.

I'm guessing ball back in stance and hit down and hit the ball first. But then i expect I'll way overshoot target. Or can you play this like a bunker shot and blast it out leaving a big divot (i. e. Will turf and mud behave like sand at all?)

I'd be interested to go practice this... But I'm guessing course super would be displeased!
as you have described, yes. Back of your stance and hit down ball first.

If hard pan move the ball forward and pick the ball witha PW.
jgh85Ag
AG
Get the bomb tech 72 degree wedge.
Mr. Nussbaum
AG
Play it like a bunker shot.
BarryProfit
cjsag94 said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Uh-oh... Is there actual video of what I did somewhere that i need to deal with?

Btw, this is number 18 at High Meadow Ranch for those familiar. There's apparently springs under the ground and there are areas that stay wet with minimal rain on that hole as you approach the green.

I missed a bit on my tee shot, so hit layup into the green. Perfectly executed that as planned, but in hindsight I'd have been better off with 100-120 layup into more solid ground. I knew that area would be wet, but didn't manage it will enough.

I know that shot! I actually hit one of my more (positive) memorable shots there and then sank the putt for a bunch of skins.

I had a 58 degree and put the ball back off my right foot and chopped down on it. Hit a low chip with spin pin high that took one bounce and stopped. Crazy how well I remember it.

Ground was hard though, wet ground makes playing it that way much harder, at least for me. I'd rather have hardpan than soggy turf.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I play the safe shot onto the green and try to make a putt.
AggieDruggist89
AG
cjsag94 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Ground is very soft with just a little rain, which we had pass through night before i played. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that shot would be very hard to execute.

With soft ground, I would play it just the way I described because if you hit down on it, i doubt the ground will compress the ball up. Play it like a bunker shot but expect to get mud on your face.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Mr. Nussbaum said:

Play it like a bunker shot.

Yup. If it's soggy, then the ball will behave more like it's in the soft sand. And chipping it out with a less lofted club will most likely chunk it right into the creek.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Play a bunker shot but use a 9 iron.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
GCP12
AG
As my high school golf coach said, "just be an athlete"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.