Shady Oaks in Ft Worth

3,744 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JR Ewingford
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watching the Hogan show on GC and honestly didnt realize that's where he was a member, not Colonial. Anyone ever gotten to play there or know a member who ran into Hogan?
jonj101
Was watching the same series while browsing Texags. Idk any members, but read a number of books about his life. From what I understand, he spent a lot of time at Shady Oaks with an LPGA pro Kris Tschetter. Interesting to me that Marvin Leonard was involved with both clubs.

Not completely related, but I read a story about his last competitive round at Champions Cypress course. He blew up on the par three, withdrew and was carted back to the locker room. He settled in to a game of cards and a number of members were watching him play. After a while, one guy stepped forward with his hand out stretched and said "Mr. Hogan, you probably don't remember me, but I'm so-and-so and we met at blah, blah." Hogan let the guy stand there for a while with his hand out, and then finally said "You're right fella, I don't remember you."
agsalaska
AG
Saw him there when I was a kid a few times times. He used to sit in the 19th hole and drink beer. None of us ever dared approach him. He wasn't exactly the approachable type.

Back in the late 80s early 90s we played a lot of junior tournaments at all of the private courses in Ft Worth. They were pretty accessable to junior golfers in Fort Worth.

I still play Shady about once a year. It is one of the best courses in the state. They just closed for nine months for an upgrade. Really challenging course.

Edit-Story I heard, and I think it is true, is that he got asked to leave Colonial sometime in the late seventies when he, without permission, took a buldozer to the trees on the left of 7. If you see 7 now the trees on the left are big, but back in the 80s-90s they were young and you could miss left and get away with it.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
grego
AG
Very nice course. Hilly with crazy green complexes. Also maintained extremely well.

You do hear people say it is the best course in Fort Worth - which I completely disagree with.
SkierAg
AG
Friend of mine is the assistant super out there. Give him a follow on Twitter to keep up with the course renovation they are currently undertaking. Just started scraping greens.

@ brockholtsbro

And yes his brother Brock Holt
"Anything less than your best is a felony"
Aggie369
AG
Played in a tournament in high school and qualified to play the "weekend" @ shadyoaks

Fast greens
Pignorant
AG
Heard they are about to tear up the course for a lengthy renovation.
grego
AG
Already started I believe. One cool thing they did is try out different types of grasses on a recent Reno of the "Little 9" short course. Picked the best one to use on the big course.
CapCity12thMan
AG
growing up in FW, I had a number of friends who were members there and the FW Junior Championship every summer would occasionally get a round there and/or Colonial.

The course back then was certainly nice, but I don't recall thinking it was one of the best in the city. I do recall large, firm and fast greens though. In the July heat they would be brutal.
GDP
A little Hogan story.

Some friends played Shady Oaks in the winter years ago. Cold windy day about 40-45 degrees.
They see Hogan sitting at his usual table in the clubhouse.

Hogan : Are you going to play today ?
Friends: Yes, sir would you like to join us?
Hogan: No but I will give y'all a lesson after your round if you like.

The friends can barely breath, they are going to get a lesson from Hogan !!

Friends tee off and can only muster 4-5 holes because of the miserable conditions and extreme cold. One tells the others that they should just quit and go get the lesson from Hogan.

Back in the clubhouse:

Hogan: Back already?
Friends: It was brutal out there. We decided to take you up on your lesson offer.

Hogan gets up from the table and says "Don't play golf when it's below 50" and goes home !

Friends still talk about their "lesson" from Hogan.
agsalaska
AG
grego said:

Very nice course. Hilly with crazy green complexes. Also maintained extremely well.

You do hear people say it is the best course in Fort Worth - which I completely disagree with.
I completely disagree with it too. Pre technology revolution when certain holes played certain ways it was probably pretty close, but not anymore.

Still a fantastic course.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
AledoAg86
AG
Great course. I love playing there when I get the opportunity.
Old School Brother
Great course, and a fun visit for any Ben Hogan fan. Cool to see all the Hogan stuff they have around, like his locker preserved exactly as it was.

I've played there a bunch with a buddy who posts on this site (not sure if he checks Golf forum) and his dad, who is a member. Played it a few weeks ago before the renovations started. Will be interested to see it after it's completed. Old membership isn't too thrilled with the proposed changes.
5C
AG
Awesome course. Also love Starr Hollow - another Leonard course that's in perfect shape. 2 best courses I've played.
RigsTx
AG
SkierAg said:

Friend of mine is the assistant super out there. Give him a follow on Twitter to keep up with the course renovation they are currently undertaking. Just started scraping greens.

@ brockholtsbro

And yes his brother Brock Holt
Garrett is a hoot.
SW AG80
AG
I have played there several times with an Aggie friend of mine who is a member. Really like the course. Like said above, great Hogan history. First time I played there, about 5-6 years ago, I was talking to the head pro and telling him how much I enjoyed SO. I popped off and said something like "I have an extra $100,000 laying around and will join SO if I can get a sponsor" as I looked at my Aggie friend. The pro answered, well you are still a little short on money. I don't think my Aggie friend liked me knowing how expensive it is to join SO. But very friendly people out there, both members and employees.
grego
AG
Initiation is $80,000 currently. Still lots of coin considering I think it is closing for 18 months.
SW AG80
AG
I thought it was $120,000 a few years ago.
JR Ewingford
Great course but you better be able to putt...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.