Club championship?

3,871 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dc509
The Grinder (99)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, what are your views on who should be eligible to compete for a private country club's championship?

Paying members only or their dependents also?

Basically, should a 21 yo scholarship player compete? Apparently this has been an ongoing question at my club. It's a slow day so I thought I'd ask the group.

My club allows dependents to compete. My brother is a member of 3 very nice clubs and none of his allow dependents to compete.

Curious what you guys think and why
bagger05
AG
Never been a member of a private club, but figure a good rule of thumb is if they're eligible to call up the clubhouse and make a tee time on their own without needing anyone else to vouch for them or accompany them.

At what point is a kid not a kid anymore from a membership standpoint? I assume someone who's 16 is still listed ON the membership so they could make their own tee times, sign for food, charge stuff to the account, etc. Figure at some point you aren't listed on the account anymore and are considered a guest.

Never thought about how it works. Now I'm curious.
Yesterday
AG
Clubs will have rules on when the immediate family is out. Some say 18 while others say 25. Sounds like a decision for the golf council to make. I'm at a club Corp so we pretty much do whatever the head pro wants. At higher initiation clubs I'm sure the membership decides those things.
Old Tom Morris
If the kid can show up on a regular day and play by himself under his family's membership, then all good. If not, then I'd say no.
DadAG10
Haven't seen that situation, but wouldn't have a problem with it.

Our championship flight has always had former college players in it. Several + indexes.

I wouldn't be in that flight anyway.

GDP
Varies by club.
Most of the higher end clubs will make it clear that only the member is eligible to compete.
No one wants to endure a beatdown from a college golfer (dependent) in the club championship. Participation in tournaments like that go way down if they allow college players, etc....

I like it when clubs do both.
Member club championship with a couple different flights AND
Open division for the dependents and those members that want to play the college guys straight up.
ORAggieFan
I agree with others, if they can play there the same as any other member, they're a member. If they are limited when they can play, they aren't.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
From what I've seen, one of the arguments against dependents is based on their (essentially) unlimited practice schedule. To paraphrase:

"Junior shows up at the club 7 days/week. Plays 18 holes then orders lunch on the old man's account. Goes out and plays another 18 after lunch before relaxing in the pool. Doesn't have to worry about trying to fit in a range session after work"

I get it. Not sure where I stand on the issue. Pretty sure you have to be an MGA member at my club to participate; so, probably moot.
HouAggie
AG
Should be limited to mid amateurs and primary members, in my opinion.
Yesterday
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

From what I've seen, one of the arguments against dependents is based on their (essentially) unlimited practice schedule. To paraphrase:

"Junior shows up at the club 7 days/week. Plays 18 holes then orders lunch on the old man's account. Goes out and plays another 18 after lunch before relaxing in the pool. Doesn't have to worry about trying to fit in a range session after work"

I get it. Not sure where I stand on the issue. Pretty sure you have to be an MGA member at my club to participate; so, probably moot.

This was the reason for the birth of the Mid Am. The ideal amateur has a family and a job. Most college kids practice more than the pros did in the 60's and 70's.
jonj101
IIRC, the way my club does it is that they can compete, but the actual low member will be recognized as club champion even though everyone knows the junior/college golfer shot the lowest.
1208HawkTree
AG
HouAggie said:

Should be limited to mid amateurs and primary members, in my opinion.

If you have a family membership where all in your household (under a certain age determined by the club) have equal access, then any of those that have free access to the club and qualify otherwise (age, gender, hcp) should be able to play.

That all said, small world seeing the two of you in the same thread. Grinder, give me a shout when you are in our neck of the woods and I'll dust my clubs off.
1208HawkTree
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Sooper Jeenyus said:

This was the reason for the birth of the Mid Am. The ideal amateur has a family and a job. Most college kids practice more than the pros did in the 60's and 70's.

The way I see it, the "Club Champion" is the best player over a particular week/weekend that is a full golf member of the club, family included if that's the type of membership structure that's in place. Period. If we are both members, and you can practice and play more than I can, that's not your fault. That said, I do agree with the MGA membership qualification.
ADJME7002
AG
cab559
AG
LCC?
garym2001
AG
We don't allow children of members to compete. We have a junior championship for them if they would like to play. We also have the #1 Amateur in the world as a member's kid so he would basically win every year if he was allowed and wanted to play.
rosco511
AG
This is amusing to me that this is even a point of discussion and think just another example of people taking things way too seriously. I would want to truly win something, not be considered the "club champion" because of a technicality, so I would think that if you are someone with access to the course and facilities (regardless of whether categorized as "the member" or dependent) then you should be able to compete and that is the real club champion. If you exclude people based on technicalities, then in my opinion not true definition of club champion.
07fta07
AG
How would you feel about a PGA professional with a +4 handicap playing? Because our clubs allows that **** to happen.
rosco511
AG
07fta07 said:

How would you feel about a PGA professional with a +4 handicap playing? Because our clubs allows that **** to happen.

Are they a member/dependent? If so, then they should be able to play. If I win the club championship, I want to be the "club champion," not have an asterisk by my accomplishment.

Now if you are saying the employees are the ones playing (ie, PGA pros on staff at the course), I personally do not believe they are entitled to play because they are not in anyway considered a member (whether as dependent or otherwise) of the club.
PA24
AG
off subject but:
Bryan Nelson would always ask who held that particular club's lowest round record whenever he got invited to play at the different clubs around the nation.
If the low golf record was held by a local pro or member, he would not try to break it.

nothing but jewels

07fta07
AG
He's a member and a PGA pro elsewhere, not at our club. I just have an issue with Pros playing in club tournaments, MGA tournaments, and couples tournaments against a bunch of amateurs who have day jobs.
rosco511
AG
Most PGA club pros actually do not really play that much. If they are a member and want to play, they should be able to play.
PA24
AG
Pressure would be on him, he has to win it.

Seriously, he shouldn't be allowed to play which would give him a good excuse on why he is not playing.

bicmitchum
that has been an issue for a long time.most club pros are not very good.that is why they are club pros
REMARCH11
AG
Dependents should not be allowed to play for the CC. I have no problem with them.playing in the tournament but they need their own division.

To me, the CC is for the primary member not for the dependent. If they want to compete, they can pay for their own membership.
God,....I really hate the sips!
dc509
AG
REMARCH11 said:

Dependents should not be allowed to play for the CC. I have no problem with them.playing in the tournament but they need their own division.

To me, the CC is for the primary member not for the dependent. If they want to compete, they can pay for their own membership.
I tend to agree with this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.