Colorado Golf

3,456 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by watty
GolfAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Heading to Denver next week. Gonna meet up with my uncle and aunt to play a few rounds.

Has anyone ever played Four Mile Ranch or Spring Valley up there? Looked them up, and they look great.
NColoradoAG
Staying in Denver or heading South? Those two courses are about 100 miles apart.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Bear Dance is about 45 miles south in Larkspur. Was fantastic when I played it about six years ago. Worth the drive.
GolfAg93
S
Staying in Parker. Making the trip to Caon City.

Thanks for the geography lesson though. Have you played either?
pb488
AG
Spring Valley is fine but nothing special. I'd recommend Arrowhead or Beer Dance if you're gonna be between Denver and Co. Springs
bagger05
AG
Arrowhead is prettier but the golf at Bear Dance is a lot better if memory serves.
NColoradoAG
I have not played Four Mile Ranch, but have played Spring Valley. If you're looking to stay within 30 minutes of Parker for a round I would go with Murphy Creek over Spring Valley. Id take Saddle Rock over Spring Valley as well.

Another great option that's somewhat close is Fox Hollow.

Bear Dance is the best public course on the Front Range, IMO. Arrowhead is also quite nice, but I'd take Bear Dance over it every time. Especially on the weekend when Arrowhead is $50 more.

GolfAg93
S
Bear Dance seems to be the overwhelming favorite.

We're going mid week so should have cheaper pricing.
dbtexasag05
Bear dance is a no brainer.

However, this is the time of year to venture into to mountains and play some of the TRUE mountain destinations if you have time.

The Raven if you can stand the drive is definitely worth it.
Arrowhead has views that are second to none. It's kind of interesting from a layout stand point but really it's beautiful.
The Ridge at Castle Pines is probably one of the better golf courses in the state (public) and should definitely get a look. Get on GolfNow app and see what kind of deal you can find.
There is a new TPC up in Berthoud that can be played and it is phenomenal.
Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. Don't look at the bill just enjoy the golf and the views.
Red Hawk Ridge. Awesome and fairly priced.

You have a lot of option...a lot.
AgShaun00
AG
i played fossil trace last week. Good course. Our group was told fossil trace or bear dance.
NColoradoAG
dbtexasag05 said:

Bear dance is a no brainer.

However, this is the time of year to venture into to mountains and play some of the TRUE mountain destinations if you have time.

The Raven if you can stand the drive is definitely worth it.
Arrowhead has views that are second to none. It's kind of interesting from a layout stand point but really it's beautiful.
The Ridge at Castle Pines is probably one of the better golf courses in the state (public) and should definitely get a look. Get on GolfNow app and see what kind of deal you can find.
There is a new TPC up in Berthoud that can be played and it is phenomenal.
Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. Don't look at the bill just enjoy the golf and the views.
Red Hawk Ridge. Awesome and fairly priced.

You have a lot of option...a lot.

I don't agree with some of these recommendations.

I honestly don't know why anyone would pay even a discounted rate at Ridge at Castle Pines. I think it's the most overrated course in Colorado. Especially when Bear Dance, Arrowhead, and like you mentioned, Red Hawk Ridge are all in the same general area and price.

The Raven is a fun course...if it's ever in good condition. Haven't played in a few years, but when I have its always been in terrible shape. Recent reviews seem to agree. Especially considering its $170. That course suffers from its exposure. The Keystone courses are much better, and you can play both courses for $165. Breckenridge, IMO, is better too and you can play all 27 holes for $150.

Haven't played TPC Colorado yet. Public tee times seem hit or miss. And after walking it a couple days during the Korn Ferry tourney out there in July, I'm not in a hurry to spend $200 to get my ass handed to me.

The Broadmoor is probably the most swanky and nice golf experience in Colorado. I would assume Cordillera rivals it. But you're talking four figures to stay a couple nights and play all the courses.

Me and a few buddies did a weekend in Beaver Creek last summer where we were able to get a 3 bedroom condo and play both of the Red Sky Ranch courses on a Satuday/Sunday for about $500 a person. You can sneak in Lakota Canyon on a weekend like that too. I haven't met a Jim Engh designed course I didn't love.

NColoradoAG
And in an ironic twist, a buddy just sent me a text asking if I wanted to play Bear Dance on Sunday morning. Will report back after the round.
dbtexasag05
Lol at the Ridge being overrated.

Fossil Trace is probably THE most overrated course in Colorado.

And Jim Engh love? Gross. We obviously can't be friends. Any place that has tractors and boulders the size of a house in the middle of fairways doesn't count.

Also if you have any military affiliation maybe try and play the Air Force golf courses.
AgShaun00
AG
dbtexasag05 said:

Lol at the Ridge being overrated.

Fossil Trace is probably THE most overrated course in Colorado.

And Jim Engh love? Gross. We obviously can't be friends. Any place that has tractors and boulders the size of a house in the middle of fairways doesn't count.

Also if you have any military affiliation maybe try and play the Air Force golf courses.
Everybody said how great fossil trace was and one of the top courses.

It is a good course, but not a great course I remember.
NColoradoAG
dbtexasag05 said:

Jim Engh designed one of the courses you recommended...
AgShaun00
AG
The club at pradera is really nice. It is private. #16 tee boxes is absolutely amazing from the blacks. Like 300' in the air and have to take switchbacks to get to it. Highly recommend.
Rlcoker
AG
Has anyone played CommonGround in Aurora? It's a Doak course and I've read many good things about.
bagger05
AG
Fun layout. If you like Doak you'll enjoy it.
dbtexasag05
Common Ground is a really good golf course. It was completely remodeled a few years ago. It used to be the track for the military.

Also the Engh remark I figured you would get as a Colorado person. I didn't mean any ill will at all. People here love to bash Engh.

Please don't think I was taking a shot at you. Wasn't my intention at all.

So now that have thoroughly confused OP...
The D
AG
I just took a trip up there in late June. Been up there 3 times in last 4 years. This was probably the coldest it's been as it actually snowed on us the last day. But the first 3 days it was about 55-60 and sunny- perfect weather.

Fossil trace was nice. Tricked out but had some cool holes. Probably could have scored much better there the second time. A little Mickey Mouse for my taste but was a good course. $95.

Keystone courses were in great shape and are fun as hell. The river course is fantastic and has massive elevation changes. The first half sort of plays down in the valley but then you go way up high. There are I believe 5 holes that just have huge drops. Ranch course plays down in the valley- not the same one and is about 5 miles away from river. It's more links style with not a lot of elevation changes but I really like this course. More exposed to the wind with a lot less trees. $210 to play both.

Played red sky in vail and this was probably the best conditioned course of them all but most expensive. Although I couldn't read the greens there and shot my worst score of the trip. It seemed a little tighter than the keystone courses and I laid up a lot more off the tee than at those courses. Wasn't as fun as the keystone but it plays WAY up on top the mountain. Almost as if you are playing on the peak or something which is cool. $230.

Played beaver creek next which was nice but not super memorable. After semi hacking at red sky I decided to get real drunk here and do some gummies, which is why I don't remember much. The first 9 plays straight down the mountain and the back 9 plays back up the hill. All the holes run parallel so that is sort of unique. It started raining on us and the weather turned pretty crappy. I remember a lot of layups off the tee again here, so it wasn't as fun as the keystone courses where you basically can hammer driver everywhere. This was $100

We played ravens the last day and what a disappointment. The layout is fantastic. Might have the best layout out of all them. But it was in just garbage shape, like complete trash. Several holes were like muddy dead grass. If the condition is nice, this course is great. Especially the back 9. But it was extremely disappointing. Oh and we got snowed on during the round. Can't believe I paid $175 for it. Played it before and it was in good shape and worth it. Probably worth $50 at this point. Avoid it. Sad because the layout is so good.

I would probably rank them-

Keystone river
Red sky
Keystone ranch
Beaver creek
Raven- last by far

I know a lot of people would rank red sky above river but river to me is about the most fun golf course I have played in my life.
GolfAg93
S
Just got a text from my aunt. We're gonna golf Hyland hills on Wednesday and, if we can, four mile ranch on Tuesday.
NColoradoAG
dbtexasag05 said:

Also the Engh remark I figured you would get as a Colorado person. I didn't mean any ill will at all. People here love to bash Engh.

Please don't think I was taking a shot at you. Wasn't my intention at all.
No offense taken. As a terrible driver of the golf ball, I appreciate Engh's wide fairways and mounding that funnels everything back into the fairway.
NColoradoAG
Bear Dance was a treat as usual. Fired off at 7:55am. Done at 12:15. Great conditions for the most part. Greens were a little bombed out on the par 3's but not terrible. I really love the track. Its such a good course. Fun and playable for any level of player. Staff was more friendly today than I've experienced in the past which was nice. And the fried riblets on the 19th hole...I could eat 5 pounds.

Here's a goofy picture just because it was such a perfect day

https://instagr.am/p/B1UjTmslhKg
dbtexasag05
Nice!

I hope the buyout of Colorado National turns everything around out there.

If Colorado National gets halfway to Bear Dance because of their ownership it will be fun to play again.
bagger05
AG
I haven't played Colorado National in years. Back when I played it, it was a decent layout and usually in good shape but it was always a chore to play. PAINFULLY slow.

Has the condition gotten worse? And did the ownership group from Bear Dance buy it?
watty
AG
I played Redhawk and Green Valley Ranch last week.

The layout of Redhawk was a lot of fun. A few holes were even reminiscent of Wolf Creek outside of Vegas. Really fun round.

I LOVED Green Valley Ranch. Course was in immaculate condition. Quality was top notch. Course was fun too. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
NColoradoAG
watty said:

I played Redhawk and Green Valley Ranch last week.

The layout of Redhawk was a lot of fun. A few holes were even reminiscent of Wolf Creek outside of Vegas. Really fun round.

I LOVED Green Valley Ranch. Course was in immaculate condition. Quality was top notch. Course was fun too. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
Both are solid courses. IMO, Green Valley Ranch has some of the most difficult greens for any public course in Colorado. Very technical and require an approach shot that is accurate to one part of the green to have a shot at any make able putt. I REALLY hate the 16th hole on that course though.
watty
AG
Yeah that hole was really intimidating. It was playing into the wind and even after a really good drive I played it as a three shot hole because that approach requires perfection. Got a bogey out of it.
NColoradoAG
watty said:

Yeah that hole was really intimidating. It was playing into the wind and even after a really good drive I played it as a three shot hole because that approach requires perfection. Got a bogey out of it.
At this point they should just cut all those cottonwoods down on the right side of the approach. Or at least cut down all but the far right middle one. Ive started playing that hole 7iron off the tee 7 iron to the green. Half the time I still clip a branch and then you have to hit a tough pitch shot. The only fair part of that hole is that the green is receptive to several different shots.

Ive never had a hole inspire visceral hate as much as that one.
watty
AG
You know what, my bad, I was describing 15. I played 15 as a 3 shot hole. 16, I made a miraculous bogey. Ugly, ugly shots but got up and down for the bogey.
bagger05
AG
GVR never seems to get much love from the Colorado folks on this board but I really liked it. Played it as my home track for a couple years.

What'd you think about #8 (the shortish par 3 over the creek)? I always thought that was a really tough green to hit and hold.

I think the pacing of the course is really good, particularly on the back. I think 10 and 11 are tough holes. Then 12, 13, 14 you better score. Then coming home you gotta hold on.

15 is just hard. That approach is really intimidating with the marsh and the lake pinching the fairway.

16 is more stupid than hard. Even with a well placed tee shot you don't have that clear of a shot to the green. A little too tricked up for my liking. Pin up front is almost impossible to get close to.

17 if you're playing from the back teeing ground it's a hard green to hit because of the angle. And you can hit the green and still be like 40 yards away if the pin is back.

18 is a beast. Just a long, difficult hole. Play your tee shot up the left you bring the bullcrap into play. Play it safe out right and your layup is at a terrible angle. Going for it over the marsh is a really long carry and if you don't get over it you're f'd. I was always okay with a 6 on that hole.

Man next time I'm in Denver I need to get out and play there. Been years but I always had fun when I played it. Seems like most of the par 4s are either great birdie chances or you're not that mad about a 5.
watty
AG
On 8 I can't even judge because I effed up and tried to get cute to a right pin placement and start it center of the green and let the wind push it towards the hole, but I hit big ugly push and landed right of the bunker and it went in the hazard. Dropped 2, hit 3 and clipped a tree with my pitch, coming up short. Hit 4 on, two-putt for a crowd pleasing triple. So I have no idea how that green holds approach shots, haha.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.