What to do when you lose it?

1,911 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by khaos288
Legend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was really trending in the right direction, but had to lay off for 2 weeks due to travel. I played today and was literally all over the place. Fat, thin, right, left. No confidence at all by the end of the round. Club felt like a 2 X 4.

What are some good tips to regroup at my next range session (other than take a lesson or the Tin Cup range tips about moving things to the other pocket)? I plan to get a lesson from my pro, but was wondering what else to do.

I've never had a round quite like this. Usually, it's one thing like driver or putting and the error is consistent. Today, it was if I've never golfed. I couldn't even make good contact when I clubbed down and tried to make a 1/2 or 3/4 swing.

Terrible....

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Work on short irons to regain tempo and balance.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
jj9000
AG
Just go play.
The rust will wear off.
It always does.
cevans_40
AG
Drink more
bowhuntr
Go back to some super basic drills...I like hitting one hand pitch shots at a slow pace (helps with coming through the ball), hitting low tempo shots with feet together to work on balance, working on making sure my front shoulder comes under my chin on backswing, making sure I keep my spine angle throughout the swing...to name a few problem areas that I constantly have to battle. Usually one of those gets me back on track if my setup from the start is solid.

Another thing to try next time you play-avoid a long warmup session where you get all technical with your swing. Get loose with some swings without hitting a ball, maybe hit a few, certainly hit some putts and then just go play. I've had some of my best rounds with very little warmup. Just go play golf instead of worrying about swing mechanics during a round.
Shelton98
AG
Ball striking issues, for me anyway, usually happen when I'm over clubbing and trying to smooth it. It's a deceleration issue. Best fix for me is to under-club and grip-and-rip.
t - cam
AG
2 weeks was enough to throw you off? I wish I had that problem. Young kids and an office gig means I'm only playing a handful of times a year currently. Shocked how well I actually play considering.

Golf1
AG
Buy new clubs. That always helps.
jj9000
AG
Golf1 said:

khaos288
AG
Golf1 said:

I knew it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.