DeChambeau's slow play

14,764 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by powerbelly
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love it. Great way to address it.

Edit-Now please play faster.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Just an Ag
AG
I don't like the "shot clock" idea. Some shots require a little extra thought, and I have no issues with that. That being the case, maybe they need some way to allow players to take extra time when warranted, but be required to operate within an overall allotment of time. If i am racing ahead for three holes then get a stuck on a shot where i need a little extra time to process it, but I am still within the allowed time overall, then I don't think I should be pressured to make a quick call on a shot. I'm not saying i should be able to ponder a shot for 15 minutes just because I've "banked" that much time, but there should be some way to blend those concerns. Players should be allowed time for a moment of thought in a tough spot but still be responsible for the total time they are taking to complete their round.
bdgol07
AG
Since nobody else will say it I will....

I wouldn't expect anything less from a d0uchb@g from SMU

He is a terrible ambassador for the game. His "quirkiness" is a disgrace and the PGA should make a concerted effort to decrease the time to play 18 ESPECIALLY with their "Play 9" campaign. This is a damn joke and making a mockery of the game
mazag08
AG
You have three days with unfettered access to the course. If you want to be be prepared, use your time wisely and take good notes. Then, be an actual professional golfer and use your notes / eyes / feel to judge your shots like everyone freaking else.

Pacing off a 70 foot shot as a tour pro is ridiculous. You have a book, you had access to the course to prepare for every single hole and every situation.

If you didn't get prepared, tough luck. Hit your ****ing shot or be penalized.
cb1919
AG
bdgol07 said:

Since nobody else will say it I will....

I wouldn't expect anything less from a d0uchb@g from SMU

He is a terrible ambassador for the game. His "quirkiness" is a disgrace and the PGA should make a concerted effort to decrease the time to play 18 ESPECIALLY with their "Play 9" campaign. This is a damn joke and making a mockery of the game
Wow really don't like people from SMU I see
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Was watching the BMW this afternoon. Fans are heckling him now. Apparently it "got so bad" than a policeman had to remove a fan from the tournament grounds.

Here's an idea. Don't play slow golf, fans won't heckle you.
Post removed:
by user
Icecream_Ag
S
third coast.. said:

Getting heckled? His nickname needs to be shooter.
is one arm just slightly longer than the other?
Post removed:
by user
Icecream_Ag
S
third coast.. said:

Icecream_Ag said:

third coast.. said:

Getting heckled? His nickname needs to be shooter.
is one arm just slightly longer than the other?

Same length bro. Everything is the same length. Because science.
touche
agsalaska
AG
He shouldn't be heckled.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
hunterjr81
He really needs to make a conscious effort to play faster. Start reading the putt or planning your shot before it's your turn Bryson! Get that pre-planning crap out of the way.

I can promise you if I was waiting my turn to putt, I would have already pulled the green book out and looked at my putt from a couple of angles. Nothing speeds up play like getting the job done before your up.
basic8
Not sure why it's so upsetting to tv viewers. They have the ability to quickly say, " let's go to Brad on 15".....
Just pull slow guys airtime. None are that vital to a broadcast if a shot isn't covered.

TV doesn't give a s. They love the controversy, until they don't.
bicmitchum
seems like somebody could just talk to him. then again about half the pro players ive known/played with are pretty much diks.so there you have it
Thisguy1
Maybe it was you
Unemployed
AG
This bagging on DeChambeau is getting old. He's not the only one that's slow. Move on already boys.
bicmitchum
come to think of it this guy,i think you have a very good point
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's not the only one, but I don't mind the message that making him a pariah sends.
bmcghee03
AG
In this day and age with cameras on every single hole basically I don't understand why they don't do two things:

1. Put a time chip on each players bag or even in the walking scorers stick (like the ones used in Marathon's that hit checkpoints) and put a checkpoint on each tee box. If they don't make it to the next tee box on time they are on the clock...

2. Once a group is on the clock time each player's shots...

Player has a bad time, penalize by a stroke for each occurrence. It will get fixed fast when it's costing these guys dollars.
cb1919
AG
bmcghee03 said:

In this day and age with cameras on every single hole basically I don't understand why they don't do two things:

1. Put a time chip on each players bag or even in the walking scorers stick (like the ones used in Marathon's that hit checkpoints) and put a checkpoint on each tee box. If they don't make it to the next tee box on time they are on the clock...

Player has a bad time, penalize by a stroke for each occurrence. It will get fixed fast when it's costing these guys dollars.
Interesting idea on how to keep track of groups pace but I am not sure if going the "shot clock" route is truly practical. For example, if you have a player who needs a ruling in your group, it will probably take a little extra time to finish the hole. If that means you don't make it to the next tee in 15 minutes, or whatever time you are allotted, I don't think you should be "on the clock."

I think you could take a much simpler approach. Just use common sense and watch how a group is moving. If a group is teeing off on one hole and the next group in front of them is already on the next, they are playing too slow. DeChambeau on the green that started this whole thread took too long. I think we can all say that without ever needing a clock.
jj9000
AG
bmcghee03 said:

jonj101
Euro tour recently released some steps theyre taking to address slow play:

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27419302/european-tour-attack-slow-play-new-rules
watty
AG
As far as players needing rulings, I think a huge liberalization of the golf rules would help. Make some sort of broad rule where literally all drops are basically up to the discretion of the player and his playing partner and will never be questioned or penalized after the fact. The players will end up self-policing that. Make it to where you get relief from anything you should get relief from, and if it's questionable, just do what you think is right. Own your decision make it a game of honor. Then time them and penalize them if they fall behind. These rulings are a waste of time.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
watty said:

These rulings are a waste of time.
I wonder how many times these guys already know the answer but want to see if they can get a better drop out of it. Bet it's a lot more than we would think.
Aggie1391
Someone timed his shots yesterday. Not sure how it compares to others though

https://sports.yahoo.com/bryson-dechambeau-insists-pace-fine-215038896.html
powerbelly
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

watty said:

These rulings are a waste of time.
I wonder how many times these guys already know the answer but want to see if they can get a better drop out of it. Bet it's a lot more than we would think.

I would think it is a majority of the time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.