DeChambeau's slow play

14,781 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by powerbelly
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting ridiculous. This **** has to stop

Baby Billy
AG
Tour players chiming in....

EMY92
AG
Worse on the hackers that try to emulate this on your local course.
snowaggie
O.K....I'll take his side. If that's the pace at which he plays the best, and there are no repercussions from officials, he'd be dumb to play faster.
ORAggieFan
Do what Rory said, one warning then penalize.

I wouldn't mind allow range finders as well.
AGMD87
AG
Their group was placed on the clock earlier due to slow play and he still took that long on a 8 foot putt. The PGA needs to crack down on this slow play by penalizing the players strokes and stop with all the lip service about penalizing slow players.
Icecream_Ag
S
snowaggie said:

O.K....I'll take his side. If that's the pace at which he plays the best, and there are no repercussions from officials, he'd be dumb to play faster.
you have 40 seconds by rule to play your shot. 2.5 - 3 minutes to hit a shot is blatantly ignoring the rules and etiquette of the game.

I've said it before on here, but when you make Speith and Na look like snedeker and koepka, you are way to f'n slow.
schwabbin
AG
Would be great if someone in the gallery would say something to the tune of 'my grandma plays faster than this!'
Poot
Some body should go all Al Czervik on him and yell... "Let's go! Well, will ya!?!?"
JCA1
AG
schwabbin said:

Would be great if someone in the gallery would say something to the tune of 'my grandma plays faster than this!'

Maybe get the gallery to hum the Final Jeopardy music?
Unemployed
AG
Thomas and Fleetwood should've confronted DeChambeau instead of standing around showing displeasure at his slow play.

Slow play is as much to blame on those who stay quiet and let it continue and then go on twitter to complain.

Old Tom Morris
Needs to be punished with strokes. His playoff partners are the ones getting the penalty

Problem is the tour executives have gone completely limp dicked on the issue. They are not even fining guys for this right now
Old Tom Morris
As boorish as it may be, I'm hoping the galleries start riding his ass and distracting him midswing
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I remember when the Beth Page Black galleries got on Sergio for the countless number of regrips he had when standing over the ball.

It's time for the galleries to start giving Dewshambeu the same treatment.
Unemployed
AG

Tough sht, bro.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
One of the comments on twitter:

I thought he said it "cast negative refractorical burst in his direction".
agsalaska
AG
I can kind of understand the one where he walked it off from the other fairway, though I understand he didnt handle it well. But that 8 footer was freaking ridiculous.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
cab559
AG
Range finders will help and should be legal in tourney play. In the age of players wanting more/accurate information I don't see how this doesn't help speed things up. But then again, this doesn't solve the issue of his 8 fter. That was brutal and I would have left the green.
txislandag86
Can you imagine how slow the PGA tour events would be if they allowed range finders.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I love how everyone is a tough guy on Twitter but no one will approach him and talk it through. If you're that displeased with him go talk to him. This whining online is so played out.
Mr.Bond
AG
txislandag86 said:

Can you imagine how slow the PGA tour events would be if they allowed range finders.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

aggiebrother33
Someone needs to step up and get this to stop, it infuriates me just watching. And I'm not even there every round with him. Besides cheating, slow play is a cardinal sin in my book...
jj9000
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

I love how everyone is a tough guy on Twitter but no one will approach him and talk it through. If you're that displeased with him go talk to him. This whining online is so played out.

Matsui
AG
That gif!
Matsui
AG
The tour needs to publicly reprimand for this. Other leagues do it. And fining them won't matter. They need to start stroking.
KatyAg01
AG
Someone who is playing with him should pull what Sabbatini did years ago. Walk up to the green before Bryson hits his approach shot. And if he's taking that long over a putt, head to the next tee and hit your tee shot (even if it's out of turn). Shine a very bright light on the issue during a round.

The only way he'll change is if they penalize him with strokes. In the meantime, his competitors should shame the sht out of him. And yes, he's not the only one. JB Holmes could use a dose of this as well. I volunteer Koepka to be the man for the job; he'll enjoy it, and they won't say sht to him.
The Lost
98Ag99Grad said:

98Ag99Grad
AG
The Lost said:

98Ag99Grad said:

Good! That's how it should be.
Old Tom Morris
Uhhhh, how about some irony in Bryson approaching Koepka's caddie to make the "say it to my face" comment? LOL. How about you approach Brooks directly, mr advice on how to be a tough guy?
BTD
Yal sure are mad about TV slow play.
ORAggieFan
BTD said:

Yal sure are mad about TV slow play.

That's not it at all and anyone that knows golf understands.
BTD
It's at least some of that,... and grrr he uses one length clubs too

PGA should allow range finders, ban green reading books, and enforce time limits. And done.
aggiedent
AG
It was a little funny watching him take 2-3 minutes to read an 8 foot putt then not even come close to the hole and with way too much pace. Even he had to feel awfully stupid after that.
CoppellAg93
AG
aggiedent said:

It was a little funny watching him take 2-3 minutes to read an 8 foot putt then not even come close to the hole and with way too much pace. Even he had to feel awfully stupid after that.
Kinda like when Reed's caddie was laying flat on the green reading a 5-6 foot putt that Reed then missed.
bagger05
AG
snowaggie said:

I don't have the data, but I heard on a podcast (I think it was Inside the Ropes) that players perform better after they've been put on the clock. Like I said, I don't have the info in front of me, but would be interesting to see a correlation of time taken to hit a shot vs performance.

Personally I think at least part of the answer is to time everyone and make it public. From the time it's your turn until the time you execute a shot, how long does it take? Everybody loves stats. If they can come up with Strokes Gained then certainly they can make a relevant metric for how slow someone is. It'd shame these guys and would also give you the tools you need to come up with real rules about how long you should have to take a shot.

I think professional billiards has a good system you could use as a model. Standard shot clock and a certain number of extensions to account for shots that require extra attention. If you're having to punch out from the trees and decide whether to go high or low and where to miss -- sure take a little more time. The problem is crap like taking over two minutes to assess an eight foot putt or a 125 yard shot from the fairway.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.