Tiger WDs

4,316 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
AggieIce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not looking good health wise. Dude needs the offseason to get here ASAP
Tom Hagen
AG
It sounds like he quit because he was playing poorly.
LHIOB
AG
AggieIce said:

Not looking good health wise. Dude needs the offseason to get here ASAP

Hes played like 3 times since the Masters
ORAggieFan
I predicted on the Presidents Cup thread this would be his last tourney of the season. Looking likely.
khaos288
AG
Dude needs to buy a house in Augusta, and practice as much as possible. Then, park his yacht next to the us open as soon as the masters is over. Just play two tournies a year on courses he's been practicing on. Only way he's going to get the majors record, and would be interesting to watch
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Off to Perkins for some therapy amirite?
Matsui
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
That's how he hurt his back and why he had to WD.
91AggieLawyer
AG
khaos288 said:

Dude needs to buy a house in Augusta, and practice as much as possible. Then, park his yacht next to the us open as soon as the masters is over. Just play two tournies a year on courses he's been practicing on. Only way he's going to get the majors record, and would be interesting to watch

You can't just practice; you MUST compete.

He's already proven me wrong, so I won't make any predictions. But repeating this year at Augusta ONCE is going to be tough.
khaos288
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

khaos288 said:

You can't just practice; you MUST compete.

He's already proven me wrong, so I won't make any predictions. But repeating this year at Augusta ONCE is going to be tough.

I don't think Tiger needs to learn how to compete. He needs a healthy back.
91AggieLawyer
AG
He doesn't have to learn how to compete but he DOES have to compete to be competitive on tour. Find me a tour player that says or does otherwise. Tiger played 6 tourneys in the 2 and a half months prior to the Masters; he's only played in 4, I think, since. When he had a full month off, he missed the cut.

Not suggesting his back isn't a factor, but I was RESPONDING to the comment regarding him only practicing at Augusta and the site of the US Open every year. He might as well retire.
t - cam
AG
Starting to think the Masters was it. He just needed to prove he could get back there. I don't think he cares anymore. That was the carrot.

CapCityAg89
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

He doesn't have to learn how to compete but he DOES have to compete to be competitive on tour. Find me a tour player that says or does otherwise. Tiger played 6 tourneys in the 2 and a half months prior to the Masters; he's only played in 4, I think, since. When he had a full month off, he missed the cut.

Not suggesting his back isn't a factor, but I was RESPONDING to the comment regarding him only practicing at Augusta and the site of the US Open every year. He might as well retire.

1951, Ben Hogan played five events, but won three of them - the Masters, U.S. Open, and World Championship of Golf. He finished second and fourth in his other two starts.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Why are the injuries only happening at tournaments? Hmm
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Troutslime said:

Why are the injuries only happening at tournaments? Hmm
They're not. They're probably pretty constant but the only time they're in the news and the only time it matters to anyone but Tiger is when he's in a tournament.
gravy97
AG
And when he's at home... he can just not play or stop after 12 holes if it flares up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This goes back to the appearance he made several weeks after the Masters where people noted how he was walking like an injured old man. Which he basically is. Disk fusion surgery can seem like a miracle for a while, but as the added stress and wear/tear to the adjacent disks builds, there can be a backslide. The back can be a good days and bad days kind of thing, but it seems like the mix may be shifting to the latter.
aggiedent
AG
And it's more than just the back injuries. He's 42 (I think) years old and a lot of things start happening especially when you have serious injuries and surgical repairs.

Flexibility starts to diminish. Arthritis starts in. Pains that you didn't have before are suddenly a common occurrence. Physically activity becomes much harder than before. Recovery time is longer. Your endurance declines.

Suddenly it's no longer fun.

All those folks thinking he was back to his old self because of the masters we're just ignoring reality. Those that thought he would never win again were also equally as wrong.

The truth is that he'll never be old the Tiger. He'll be the guy who occasionally flashes the old form but will never be able to sustain it. A lot less ups than downs. That's the new reality.
_lefraud_
AG
As much as I would hate it, I think it's time for Tiger to start planning/playing in only about 10 events every season. He needs to have a tournament leading into each major (not necessarily the week before) and then sprinkle in a few more. Maybe something like this"

Jan 26 - Farmers Open (Torrey)
Mar 8 - Arnold Palmer
Mar 15 - The Players
Apr 12 - Masters
May 3 - Wells Fargo
May 17 - PGA
June 7 - The Memorial
June 21 - US Open
July 5 - WGC (as long as he qualifies)
July 19 - The Open

If he can figure out a way to practice, and still be competitive on the very few tournaments he enters, then I think that's what he should do. Quit traveling the world, and just focus on the only 4 tournaments that matter to him, and build his entire schedule around those.
Old Tom Morris
That is basically the schedule he played this year. 10 events + 1 fedex cup playoff, none of which required globe traveling other than the Open.
_lefraud_
AG
I think he went to Thailand or something in between the US open and the Open for family vacation or something. I just think he should plan, practice and focus on playing golf from about Mid-February through the the end of July, that's it. Come up with a practice regiment, a travel plan, that allows him to maximize his efforts towards those 5 months and nothing more, in terms of golf.
Shiner Bock
AG
Arrived and going to give the BMW Champ a go

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/fresh-injury-withdrawal-woods-officially-arrives-bmw-championship
Cedar09
And takes another player's spot.
agsfan
Cedar09 said:

No he doesn't.

This is the second playoff event, only top 70 qualify. Tiger is 38 on points list now. Not like 71 gets to play if Tiger doesn't.
aginlakeway
AG
Cedar09 said:

How so?
Unemployed
AG
agsfan said:

Cedar09 said:

No he doesn't.

This is the second playoff event, only top 70 qualify. Tiger is 38 on points list now. Not like 71 gets to play if Tiger doesn't.
And even it it was a regular tour event, Tiger earned that spot.

If you're the first alternate, play better and earn your place in the field.
91AggieLawyer
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

1951, Ben Hogan played five events, but won three of them - the Masters, U.S. Open, and World Championship of Golf. He finished second and fourth in his other two starts.

Seriously? You had to go back 70 years to find ONE example of a guy who was 5 years younger than Tiger is now and who was a top 10 player all time. Tiger, of course, is too, but not really any more. You didn't mention that Hogan had won the 48 PGA and US Open, and the 50 US Open prior to the 51 wins. He wasn't coming off a decade major drought like Tiger was prior to this year.

If you think Tiger can really do this, send him a tweet and suggest it. Let me know how that comes out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Meow
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.