Living on a course: would you do it again?

6,097 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
G Martin 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We weren't house hunting, but an opportunity to put an offer on a house on a golf course came up out of the blue. Fantastic view, right next to a green. If you have lived or currently do live on a golf course, would you do it again? Did you play as much as you thought you would? Any unexpected problems? (Balls in yard doesn't qualify as an "unexpected problem", LOL.)
ORAggieFan
The most important thing to me would be the success of the course. Too many courses near me have closed, resulting in declining home value, views that go to crap, homeless camps, etc.

After that, I'd think about ball flights into the house. Ideally, I'd prefer being near a tee box as you're likely much safer.
powerbelly
AG
ORAggieFan said:

The most important thing to me would be the success of the course. Too many courses near me have closed, resulting in declining home value, views that go to crap, homeless camps, etc.

After that, I'd think about ball flights into the house. Ideally, I'd prefer being near a tee box as you're likely much safer.
I feel like I see so many more houses hit hard off the tee than near the green unless they are right next to the tee box.
Old Tom Morris
I'm not your audience that has lived on one, but as someone that has considered doing so, there are two main hangups as to why I never did.

1) I don't want to be in a spot where I or my kids would get pelted. Nothing in range of a green or fairway from lousy shots, which eliminates a very large number of golf course lots. I don't want to have to be prepared to duck and cover when I'm chilling on my patio, in my pool, BBQing, etc. That is not relaxing to me.

2) Privacy, or lack thereof - Unfortunately, some of the lots that are safe from #1 are prime candidates for lousy privacy (like lots next to a teebox that are in the safe zone from being hit, but alternatively it seems like you have groups of 4 hanging out in your backyard all day).

Most of the preferable lots I see are set well back from the course; typically in the general vicinity of a green or teebox but set so far back that both 1 and 2 are not an issue.
G Martin 87
AG
The hole layout is a dogleg left, with a 130ish yard approach shot into the green. Bunker on the side nearest the house, with the green just behind it. The fence line is about 30 yards from the bunker. The house isn't directly in the line of fire. It would take a slice over the bunker to hit the yard. Not impossible, but seems unlikely.
ORAggieFan
powerbelly said:

ORAggieFan said:

I feel like I see so many more houses hit hard off the tee than near the green unless they are right next to the tee box.
Yeah, I'm talking even or behind the tee box, not in flight of a ball off the tee.
Yesterday
AG
I live one street over from my clubs 7th fairway and just down the culdesac from the 8th green. I have several friends on the course. The general consensus is that they love it. They enjoy the view and the ability to walk out at sunset and play a few holes. I enjoy taking the kids out on our golf cart with no shoes late in the day just to run around and play golf.

If you enjoy golf then I think you'll enjoy the golf course lot.
dallasiteinsa02
I have lived on three courses. The ball flight issue is always a concern but one that can usually be figured out with just some common sense. Our backyard is small but it becomes a huge backyard in the evening. We have massive laser tag games at night and an absolute blast with the kids. My kids have probably played that hole 1000 times as the sun sets. All three have been private courses so even though we have people behind our home they and us are always respectful of each other.
Shiner Bock
AG
"The house isn't directly in the line of fire. It would take a slice over the bunker to hit the yard"

Never under estimate the amount of horrible slices on any given hole in a day.
investorAg83
AG
Think my situation is pretty ideal.

- Off a 170 yard par 3 green where your tee shot would have to be 30 yards right and 20 yards deep to clear iron fence at course
- Another 15 yards of open area between course fence and my fence (technically it's my property per the survey but the city maintains it...maybe when I redesign the back)
- After 16 months, not one ball has entered my yard. I've only found 2 in the open area.
- The only gate on the entire course is right behind my house
- It immediately u-turns to the next hole. Next tee box is about 60 yards from earshot so I can barely hear driver pings. Also means their carts dont every cruise by my house...I just see the golfers walk up to the par 3 green and back.
- Big hedges block view of the pool but standing you can see the green.

I'd never want to be near a tee box and hear the constant 'PING'. Wouldn't want to be at a spot where people cruise past my fence non stop. Definitely wouldn't want to be in a landing distance on a hole people use driver.
G Martin 87
AG
Shiner Bock said:

"The house isn't directly in the line of fire. It would take a slice over the bunker to hit the yard"

Never under estimate the amount of horrible slices on any given hole in a day.
Oh, no doubt. Guilty as charged.
STX Ag
AG
Live on a course, #10 fairway.

1) great view
2) unlimited free balls
3) free practice range and green in the evenings after the flags are picked up
4) free humor when you hit the panic button on your truck when someone's hitting next to your fence (truck parked on side of home)
WestTexAG
AG
Live on the tee box and love the social nature of getting to talk with everyone as they come by. Using the course to extend the yard is a huge deal that we love but that's going to be situational. My sons have had lemonade stands on the fence line and make an absolute killing, as in $300+, on the right days. Lots of days I'm cooking on the deck and will get to talk to lots of groups throughout the day. BIG DOWNSIDE is that it's borderline impossible to play golf without my wife seeing me through our large windows that are intended to enjoy the amazing view. I finally bit the bullet and just paid the fee to use my own golf cart because she saw me over 75% of the time anyhow. Being able to just play 3 holes in the evening is hard to quantify but it's a major benefit.
AggieDruggist89
AG
WestTexAG said:

Live on the tee box and love the social nature of getting to talk with everyone as they come by. Using the course to extend the yard is a huge deal that we love but that's going to be situational. My sons have had lemonade stands on the fence line and make an absolute killing, as in $300+, on the right days. Lots of days I'm cooking on the deck and will get to talk to lots of groups throughout the day. BIG DOWNSIDE is that it's borderline impossible to play golf without my wife seeing me through our large windows that are intended to enjoy the amazing view. I finally bit the bullet and just paid the fee to use my own golf cart because she saw me over 75% of the time anyhow. Being able to just play 3 holes in the evening is hard to quantify but it's a major benefit.

Why is your wife seeing you play is a major downside?
WestTexAG
AG
I like to play during the workday and inevitably she's got something to say about being off work so I should have just come home. It's not about hiding anything, otherwise I wouldn't be stopping by the house to grab my own cart now. It's more about avoiding an unnecessary nagging session.
bodaciousbood14
AG
G Martin 87 said:

The hole layout is a dogleg left, with a 130ish yard approach shot into the green. Bunker on the side nearest the house, with the green just behind it. The fence line is about 30 yards from the bunker. The house isn't directly in the line of fire. It would take a slice over the bunker to hit the yard. Not impossible, but seems unlikely.
Course and hole number please.

I'll show you how to slice it into that house no problem!
G Martin 87
AggieDruggist89
AG
I used to live behind a tee box of a par 5 for 8 years in DFW. Had zero golf ball in my yard. It's alright.... U see carts and golfers come through.

Unlike some y'all, my wife better have a drink and sandwich ready when I came through. True story and my buddies couldn't believe it but they also enjoyed the food and drinks.

I'm. Currently building a house that overlooks a golf course from 100 plus yards away on a top of a hill where I can have privacy and no golf ball can reach the house. We chose the lot not for the golf course but the river and mountain view.

Being near a golf course is not as important as having a practice facility i have ready access to. Will be setting up a simulator room and indoor putting green in the basement of the house. Yeah... Pretty serious about golf and no tolerance for nagging wife pertaining to my hobbies. Too old for that chit
Yesterday
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I used to live behind a tee box of a par 5 for 8 years in DFW. Had zero golf ball in my yard. It's alright.... U see carts and golfers come through.

Unlike some y'all, my wife better have a drink and sandwich ready when I came through. True story and my buddies couldn't believe it but they also enjoyed the food and drinks.

I'm. Currently building a house that overlooks a golf course from 100 plus yards away on a top of a hill where I can have privacy and no golf ball can reach the house. We chose the lot not for the golf course but the river and mountain view.

Being near a golf course is not as important as having a practice facility i have ready access to. Will be setting up a simulator room and indoor putting green in the basement of the house. Yeah... Pretty serious about golf and no tolerance for nagging wife pertaining to my hobbies. Too old for that chit
We get it...you have the perfect life!!
AggieDruggist89
AG
No I still fight a hook and I'm stuck at 3.2 index
Funky Winkerbean
AG
G Martin 87 said:

You may not get hit, but you will have plenty of people looking into your yard for stray drives. I wouldn't like that.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Funky Winkerbean
AG
STX Ag said:

Live on a course, #10 fairway.

1) great view
2) unlimited free balls
3) free practice range and green in the evenings after the flags are picked up
4) free humor when you hit the panic button on your truck when someone's hitting next to your fence (truck parked on side of home)

Put a Bluetooth speaker on your fence and keep the War Hymn on loop.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
oldschool87
AG
Since 88, every apartment and 3 houses have been on the course! Love it!

How our current house sits on somewhat of a turn on the street, we cannot see our neighbors from the porch, just the golf course!!!

Here are a list of things to consider.

1. At some point, no matter where, you will get a broken window. Might be 1 every 10 years, but it will happen. Get over yourself, its a freaking window!!!!
2. You do not want to be on a tee box. This puts carts in your backyard, all day long! If you want people staring at you all the time, then have at it. I would rate this is a no go. {given the cart path is behind your house, can work if the distance and angles don't put the golfers in your back yard...
3. #1, you cannot under any circumstances be 200 to 280 off the right side of a tee box. You will end up covering your entire back yard with a net. Look next time you play at the houses in the 235 range off the tee box...
4. Find a house by a green or on a par 5 somewhere preferably on the left side.
5. Find a house on the front 9. Earlier the better. That way in the evenings, there is no one finishing up thru dark. Hole 1 or 2 is even better!
6. It is a golf cource, its is not your land. You don't own it. Its not for your dog to run on, nor your personal space to play on.
7. Having said above most courses that don't have a stick up there *** will tolerate a walk or a little infringement if you don't abuse it.

The biggest thing the course brings is the neighborhood. It usually brings it together, closes it up. As just 1 or 2 ways in or out. Puts a little buffer between you and the rest of the bad world out there. Usually kept up, and people are out doors. Gives a much more open air feel vs. 4000 track houses!

Absolutely love it! We are actually on the first hole about 300 off the tee box. I get just enough pro v1's that just barely leak into our back yard on a slow roll thru the fence to keep me happy. The view is just greatness. I will hit 4 or 5 balls every once in a while back to the range. Its about 185 from my back yard. Also remember rainy days, winter, and cold, nobody plays! No wood fence to stare at, no stupid neighbors, I would work hard to do it!!!
07fta07
AG
"It is a golf cource, its is not your land. You don't own it. Its not for your dog to run on, nor your personal space to play on."

Amen. We fight this at our club way too much where non members (and members) think that because they live on the course it's now their personal dog park, football field, etc.
investorAg83
AG
oldschool87 said:

Since 88, every apartment and 3 houses have been on the course! Love it!

How our current house sits on somewhat of a turn on the street, we cannot see our neighbors from the porch, just the golf course!!!

Here are a list of things to consider.

1. At some point, no matter where, you will get a broken window. Might be 1 every 10 years, but it will happen. Get over yourself, its a freaking window!!!!
2. You do not want to be on a tee box. This puts carts in your backyard, all day long! If you want people staring at you all the time, then have at it. I would rate this is a no go. {given the cart path is behind your house, can work if the distance and angles don't put the golfers in your back yard...
3. #1, you cannot under any circumstances be 200 to 280 off the right side of a tee box. You will end up covering your entire back yard with a net. Look next time you play at the houses in the 235 range off the tee box...
4. Find a house by a green or on a par 5 somewhere preferably on the left side.
5. Find a house on the front 9. Earlier the better. That way in the evenings, there is no one finishing up thru dark. Hole 1 or 2 is even better!
6. It is a golf cource, its is not your land. You don't own it. Its not for your dog to run on, nor your personal space to play on.
7. Having said above most courses that don't have a stick up there *** will tolerate a walk or a little infringement if you don't abuse it.

The biggest thing the course brings is the neighborhood. It usually brings it together, closes it up. As just 1 or 2 ways in or out. Puts a little buffer between you and the rest of the bad world out there. Usually kept up, and people are out doors. Gives a much more open air feel vs. 4000 track houses!

Absolutely love it! We are actually on the first hole about 300 off the tee box. I get just enough pro v1's that just barely leak into our back yard on a slow roll thru the fence to keep me happy. The view is just greatness. I will hit 4 or 5 balls every once in a while back to the range. Its about 185 from my back yard. Also remember rainy days, winter, and cold, nobody plays! No wood fence to stare at, no stupid neighbors, I would work hard to do it!!!
The other benefit to being on the front...reloading the cooler when you pass the house. I'm on 15 green and while it doesn't stop me from reloading, I'd much rather have 10+ holes in my future vs. 3.
G Martin 87
AG
Really appreciate the great tips and caveats from everyone. Our offer was accepted, so we're moving forward. Here's a pic of the view of the course. The fairway goes left to right, with the 6th green to the far right.

https://imgur.com/a/phjlRzv

Here's an overhead view and wider views.

https://imgur.com/a/M2DmCbp
inozips
AG
+1 for this....."The most important thing to me would be the success of the course. Too many courses near me have closed, resulting in declining home value, views that go to crap
G Martin 87
AG
inozips said:

+1 for this....."The most important thing to me would be the success of the course. Too many courses near me have closed, resulting in declining home value, views that go to crap
Yes, I weighted this highly. The course is Santa Maria in Baton Rouge. It's operated and maintained by BREC, and it's their showcase course.
bodaciousbood14
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Really appreciate the great tips and caveats from everyone. Our offer was accepted, so we're moving forward. Here's a pic of the view of the course. The fairway goes left to right, with the 6th green to the far right.

Congrats.

That's not Windrose in Spring is it?
oldschool87
AG
bodaciousbood14 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Congrats.

That's not Windrose in Spring is it?
You should be perfect, but dont be surprised one day when you get a ball. But heck yea, your way out of the way, everyday and twiceon Sunday, congrats!!!

Also, keep your bass and throw them in that pond!!!!!
dallasiteinsa02
There is a white stucco house in Baton Rouge that I hit almost everytime I play in that exact spot. Not sure why but it seems like I drill it or someone in our group does. Redbrick on the first floor and stucco on the second story.
G Martin 87
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

There is a white stucco house in Baton Rouge that I hit almost everytime I play in that exact spot. Not sure why but it seems like I drill it or someone in our group does. Redbrick on the first floor and stucco on the second story.
Make sure to knock and say hello.
austinag1997
AG
I live on the 16th green of a par 4. My house is protected by large live oaks. My house is really hard to hit... and it has been hit once or twice that I know of in 3 years.

While it isnt my property, I use it like it is once the course closes at 8:00pm. I use it for anything from PW to putting. I was not a golfer when I moved in, but am now.

I enjoy being on the course. I wouldn't live on a course if my house wasn't protected.
WestTexAG
AG
07fta07 said:

"It is a golf cource, its is not your land. You don't own it. Its not for your dog to run on, nor your personal space to play on."

Amen. We fight this at our club way too much where non members (and members) think that because they live on the course it's now their personal dog park, football field, etc.
I think this is specifically dependent on being an equity owned club but our club loves that my kids fish in the ponds on the course. I really enjoy talking to those that come out and walk their dogs in the evenings. As long as golfers are given right of way on the golf course, and everyone stays out of the greens crew way, it seems everything goes smoothly.
Duckhook
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Looks nice, but the first thing I would do is cut down that tree in the corner of the yard.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.