How's the campus course?

4,565 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Quinn
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a round booked in College Station tomorrow and am curious how the course is playing. This will be my first time playing since it was redone. Thanks for any info.
Famous Shoes
AG
You'll love it. Better layout and course condition is great right now!
johnnyblaze36
AG
It's in great shape. I think I posted this in another thread but a couple of weeks ago my buddy and I let this high school kid from Kinkaid play through us. He'd already played 18 earlier in the day at Traditions and was playing the campus course for the first time to prepare for a tournament there the following week (last week).

He commented to us that he thought it was in better shape than Traditions currently (highly debatable) but it's amazing how good and fun it is now after they put some money into it several years ago.

Oh, and that kid that played through us ended up winning the tournament the following week.
Thisguy1
Do the fairways still look dead? Driving by it looked like they sprayed the wrong chemicals and killed the fairways.
jja79
AG
Last week the fairways looked dead. No way it's better than Traditions which is in great condition.
12thmanfootball
AG
I played it 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. Well worth the money!!!
giddings_ag_06
AG
It just looked fine driving by. Greens looked nice. I play in an hour and a half so I'll report back later.
Aggieangler93
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

It just looked fine driving by. Greens looked nice. I play in an hour and a half so I'll report back later.
Should be good as long as you don't have to shoot anything. Will we get pics of golf boots too?
giddings_ag_06
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Will we get pics of golf boots too?

Haven't found any I like that go good with shorts. Let me know if you see any.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Greens were nice. Faster than my local Bastrop area courses.

Fairways were good. Had good grass to hit off of on every shot. I'd definitely play again. Bunkers kicked my butt today. Hit three and regretted all 3 shots out of them.

GDP
Played Thursday and the greens were great. The fairways had that almost brown look but the turf was healthy - just summer in Texas.
Well worth the price.
Thisguy1
It was something more than just summer in Texas. Idk what they did or why they did it but something they sprayed made the fairways look like they were dead. This was about a month ago. They look 100 times better from the picture Giddings posted.
Aggieangler93
AG
Just the usual OB board hell being applied here to ya, friend.

Course looks to be in great shape. I hope my son and I have time to play it this Saturday.

Last time we played our local home course, I hit from a fairway bunker, into a green-side bunker. It was no bueno!
jckrjr7
AG
Played the campus course this morning for the first time since the renovation and the greens were immaculate. It's a real treat for $45.
cevans_40
AG
Thisguy1 said:

It was something more than just summer in Texas. Idk what they did or why they did it but something they sprayed made the fairways look like they were dead. This was about a month ago. They look 100 times better from the picture Giddings posted.

Probably a growth regulator combined with the extreme heat. It will usually turn fairways off color for a week or so but provide 4 weeks of slower growth. A vital practice in order to keep up with mowing.
Famous Shoes
AG
It's perfect right now!
Thisguy1
Could have been. I just know it looked like it was something that was applied. The color change from fairway to rough was too drastic and it looked like a spray around the greens.
Aggieangler93
AG
My son always wants to play it and we never seem to have time. I am going to drag him over there to play it soon. I am glad to hear it is in good shape. I really enjoyed playing there as a student.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Played yesterday and it's great. I'd highly recommend it. The guys I golfed with said it was the nicest course they've played in a while and they play some nice courses. Only cost us $17/person too.
bagger05
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

My son always wants to play it and we never seem to have time. I am going to drag him over there to play it soon. I am glad to hear it is in good shape. I really enjoyed playing there as a student.
Have you played it since the remodel?
Aggieangler93
AG
No, I have not. It's better than it used to be, correct?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
bagger05
AG
Yeah dude you'll love it. You can see little bits of the old layout but almost a whole new course.
Quinn
AG
bagger05 said:

Yeah dude you'll love it. You can see little bits of the old layout but almost a whole new course.
The par 3 at the corner of Texas and Bush (#13?) is similar, but not too much else reminds me of the old course (which is a good thing).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.