Tyler area recommendations

3,389 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiehunter3
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May be there this weekend for baseball. Would love to sneak in a value round somewhere. Anyone have any tips?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Austintm
Pine Dunes.
Pignorant
AG
Tempest Golf Club
Aggieangler93
AG
I'll look them up, thanks!
Barnyard96
AG
Garden Valley.

A little further north
DallasAggie89
AG
ImOut said:

Garden Valley.

A little further north

Supposedly in terrible shape.
Barnyard96
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

ImOut said:

Garden Valley.

A little further north

Supposedly in terrible shape.

I hate to hear that. The back 9 is a great track.
GQaggie
AG
I recently saw a picture of one of their greens from about a month ago. Unputtable. I've heard that they are starting to recover but have a long way to go. I agree that it is a great layout.

I played Pine Dunes a week ago, and it was in great shape.
sundaytiger13
AG
Will also recommend Pine Dunes. I saw someone mention Tempest and it is a good track if you don't mind driving to Gladewater.
EOE
Anyone play the cascades?
AustinCountyAg
obligatory Twin Lakes (R.I.P.)
Pignorant
AG
I have played it several times. Great course but I believe it is private.

Let me know if you get a public tee time!
EOE
My cousin is a member at the Sports Club at the Four Seasons. They have some reciprocation at the Cascades
BigLeftMiss08
AG
What is the story with Willow Brook? How does that course stack up against the rest in and around Tyler?
Pignorant
AG
Also played that course a decade ago for junior tournaments.

Great course as well. The club has more of a classic country club vibe.
Aggieangler93
AG
We played Pine Dunes and it was in great shape. It was a very fun course.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
It's a very old school country club. Played it a lot growing up and took lessons from Chris the old Pro our there. This was early 2000s then. Jokes aside it feels a bit like caddy shack atmosphere. Old school pool and clubhouse but very nice. This is old money Tyler location.

Was back in East Texas and Played Tempest over 4th of July. Great track, and a complete change over Shallow Creek back in day. You could still see a bit of the old course in it, but it's a 90% plus overhaul. Greens were a bit firm but everything was growing in nice. It will be a killer track in 2yrs or so
La Fours
AG
What was that Pro-Am tourney they would have every year where the kids from area schools could go watch?

I'm pretty sure Annika Sorenstam played in it one year around 1995 or so.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Racking my brain and can't think of the name. I believe you're correct about Anika. It's the Patriot Golf Classic now, but it hasn't pulled in any big names in over a decade. I remember John Daly being out there and some others... I think even Trevino played in it later in his career. Always coincides with the area hole in one contest as well. I'll have to keep googling to try and figure out that name.
La Fours
AG
I always enjoyed going out there for the tourney. The same year Anika played, there was a retired Dallas Cowboy playing. Big lineman dude. And he wasn't very good at golf. One of the holes had the tee box set back where the gallery could line up really close. Well this big ole football player nearly killed a couple of people with his drive. He shanked one that just barely cleared the heads of some spectators.

I think Lee Trevino player the same year Anika did as well.

Moose Johnson, or maybe it was Troy Aikman, played that year too. Lots of sheriffs deputies followed them around.
La Fours
AG
Was it the Eisenhower?
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Of course my dad knew it. It was the Eisenhower Classic. Started in 87 at hollytree and moved to Willowbrook in 90. He said Norman was out there one of the earlier years and he remembers Aikman there but not sure when.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Was typing all that while you replied. Yep, that's it
La Fours
AG
Lol. I texted some friends from high school to ask.
flogmat
AG
I grew up in Longview. Went to almost every Eisenhower with my dad. I have all of the programs with tons of autographs. Saw Fred Couples, Paul Azinger, David Frost. Lots of the bigger names from the 90s.
aggiehunter3
AG
Aglaw09 said:

What is the story with Willow Brook? How does that course stack up against the rest in and around Tyler?
In my opinion (which I'm biased because I'm a member at WBCC), it is the nicest course in Tyler. The whole course was renovated with several holes being completely redesigned, which was complete in the fall of 2018. The greens are great, but need a couple of years to soften up. The course was always nice, but the old course was too easy, thus your game didn't travel well. Now they've added a lot of bunkering and increased yardage, making it a lot more challenging.

http://www.wbcctyler.com/recreation
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.