Fewest putts in a round

3,338 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oneeyedag
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree that ball position is more important than fairways on most courses.

This is all because of equipment by the way. 20 years ago and back this was not the case but it is now.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Icecream_Ag
S
agsalaska said:

This is all because of equipment by the way. 20 years ago and back this was not the case but it is now.

how much is equipment and how much has player fitness played into the changes?

20 years ago guys like tiger, Ernie, Daly, etc. were freakish with their length, now everyone is hitting 6 or 7 iron into a 205 yard par 3
Aggie369
AG
Club manufacturers changed the lofts...technology on irons other than loft hasn't really increased distance much. Iron technology has been much more impactful on forgiveness.

A couple years ago I was travelling and had to play with a set of pings over 30 years old. I shot like 73 and was almost a full club shorter with them...miss hits just dont go as far and I didn't hit them as high. But even at 30+ plus years old they still had plenty of spin to stop on greens...even at 190 out
Aggie369
AG
Agreed
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Aggie369 said:

But even at 30+ plus years old they still had plenty of spin to stop on greens...even at 190 out
Damn, that's my 5 wood. Don't get a lot of stop on that.
Aggie369
AG
Yeah, I was impressed...187 with a 5 iron up hill...it rolled out maybe 12 ish feet...the descent angle just wasnt high enough but pretty good considering the irons were as old as me
agsalaska
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

agsalaska said:

how much is equipment and how much has player fitness played into the changes?

20 years ago guys like tiger, Ernie, Daly, etc. were freakish with their length, now everyone is hitting 6 or 7 iron into a 205 yard par 3

Distance is not the most important change, at least not for this discussion. It's the spin rates on golf balls. Technology is what allows golfers to control the ball out of the rough because the ball doesnt spin like it used too.

Go take a balata golf ball and a Hogan Apex iron and drop the ball in the rough. The ability to control the ball has changed dramatically, mostly because the modern golf ball doesnt spin like the old balls. It used to be very difficult to hit a ball straight out of the fairway, never mind the rough. Thays not the case anymore.

The ability to hit a ball straight out of the rough has changed because of equipment change. And we are not talking about 60 years ago but 20 years ago.

Edit. Sorry if I kind of repeated myself
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Baby Billy
AG
Ball position? I'm just trying to find my ball off the tee, I don't care if I'm on the wrong side of the hole or in the fairway. If I have any sort of shot towards the green, that's a success.

Pisses me off too, because I used to be a scratch golfer in high school
Sazerac
AG
I had 21 in a HS tourney.

Didnt hit a green. Up and down 15 times.
oneeyedag
25 came with career low round of 64 (30-34) included two eagles, an ace, a double and two bogeys. 6 under after 4 holes with a set of Cleveland VAS irons.

But yes, puts per/round isnt a great indicator unless you add in GIR. One could have 18 putts and still not break 80 or 90 for that matter.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.