Gulf Shores courses

1,548 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
1208HawkTree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be in Gulf Shores in a few weeks and looking for course recommendations. I've done a little looking online and there are some good looking options (Peninsula, Kiva Dunes, Gulf Shores GC).

It will likely just be my dad and me, maybe my 14 year old son, on a weekday. My dad is not a very good golfer, and my son hardly plays at all, so I don't want it to be torture for them. However, this is vacation so I would like to play somewhere on the "nicer" end of the spectrum.

If anyone has additional suggestions for a course, and/or feedback on the ones I mentioned, I'd appreciate it.
Shelton98
AG
I'll be there next week. Buddy I work with is from that area and recommended Craft Farms.
Codeno
AG
Thread from a week or two ago:

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3038337
DannyDuberstein
AG
You really can't go wrong with any of them (Peninsula, Kiva, Craft Farms, GS Golf Club). Peninsula is my favorite, but the rest are quality too. I'd probably stay way from Kiva due to difficulty level for your group; it's not crazy hard, but definitely more difficult than the others. I think Peninsula tends to be the most "gulf coast"-ish of the remaining courses, whereas while nice courses, I consider Craft and GS to be closer to something I'd play at home. I think another poster called that out too on the other thread.
cjsag94
AG
I posted that thread from a few weeks ago. I played Gulf Shores GC and then was very eagerly awaiting the round at Peninsula... Then that bad weather came in, so my round was cancelled and couldn't work it in other days.

GSGC was in great condition, and enjoyed the day. But think Peninsula was going to be an exceptional experience to enjoy. I can't find it now, but the email after making my tee time spoke of chilled apples to start, cool towels handed out throughout the course .. and i can't remember exactly how it was stated, but the term they used to refer too the "beverage cart girl" seemed to indicate that was even at a first class level. I was really disappointed to miss that round. Next time!
mm98
AG
I'll be in Orange Beach next week as well. Was debating bringing my clubs.
Golf1
AG
Heading down in August and just wanted to get more opinions between Peninsula and Kiva Dunes. Sounds like you cant go wrong with either of the courses but I believe my group will be staying on Kiva Dunes so we most likely will be playing that course but I may sneak away and play Peninsula also.
DannyDuberstein
AG
IMO they are close enough that I wouldn't sweat the decision either way. If you are staying in kiva, play it and as you say, you could always check out peninsula with a 2nd round
kelkel25
I played Peninsula last week when I was down there. Very good track, greens were quick, course was in excellent shape. You're on the north side of the bay and there are very few ocean/bay views ( I played Cypress-Marsh) but yes the chilled apples were a nice treat off each 9. Also on one of the par 3's you declare an amount you'll spend in the pro shop and if you get a greenie they'll match it. Cart talent was not spectacular but was SEC quality.
Shelton98
AG
Shelton98 said:

I'll be there next week. Buddy I work with is from that area and recommended Craft Farms.

Not Kiva or Peninsula related.... but I did play Craft Farms - Cypress Bend last Wednesday and it was immaculate.... and not too difficult. Beverage girl was well above average.
bbry81
Played peninsula twice last week. Very fun course. Played lakes and cypress. Marsh is closed due to redoing the greens. Played from two different sets of tees and it made quite the difference. Hospitality is top notch and course was fantastic shape. Challenging but not over the top
1208HawkTree
AG
Thanks for all of the info. We are playing Peninsula on Thursday morning. It was a toss up between there and Gulf Shores. I was leaning toward Peninsula based on what I read here and online, but started thinking about paying for two of us, plus a rental set for my son and reconsidered Gulf Shores. After talking to both shops, it was almost a wash, price-wise so we went with the thought that Peninsula was more of a "coastal" course.

Peninsula (before 11am):
$99 fee
$60 rentals
$39 juniors with free rentals
EDIT: Juniors are free with a paid adult.

Gulf Shores (morning)
$70 fee
$40 rentals
$40 juniors (rentals not included)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.