Finally.....Broke 80 this week

2,452 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SW AG80
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Discovered this game around 9 years ago and its been a struggle. While some of you probably did this when you were 11 years old or so, if feels like a significant accomplishment when one has been as terrible yet as addicted as I am.

If you don't care about the details and want the general "how it happened," there were two things that stand out in my mind as getting over the hump:

• More GIR than typical combined with no 3 putts - specifically 8/18 (30 total putts - 13 on the front and 17 on the back).
  • My home club is much more difficult than courses in the surrounding area (imo). After shooting 83 at my home course last week, I had somewhat of an inherent confidence that I could do it at a different course. So basically - conditioning.

More detailed, I shot 79 at Country Place in Pearland. I played from the Blue tees, which typically play from 6350 - 6500 yards. Looking back on it, frankly it was a weird round that could have been anywhere from 83 to 75. I say that because there were a few bad shots that could have easily went OB or in the hazard, but I got favorable kicks and recovered from them. At the same time, there were at least 5-6 putts that easily could have dropped that were then tapped in for an extra stroke.

I shot even par for the first 7 holes, but double bogeyed 8 & 9 for a 40 on the front. Started the back with a double on a par 5, but then birdied the next hole and had birdie looks throughout most of the back but they didn't drop.

My goals for this year with my coach was to win my first tournament and break 80. Won my first one in in April and just cracked this, so of course the revised goals will consist of: shooting even par, breaking 70, and breaking 80 in a tournament. Going forward, I have to tighten up my putting and GIRs with more practice.

One more point - I had a personal deal with myself that I absolutely couldn't play Pebble Beach until I broke 80. Called up my wife and told her the vacation plans for this year are going to be significantly adjusted.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Congrats
AggiePride07
AG
Awesome!
classof08
AG
Congrats to you!

I've never broken 80. I was +1 through 12 last month and went +7 over the last six to shoot 80 on the nose. Complete choke and I got in my own head. I'll do it eventually!
E
AG
Congrats! I finally broke 85 recently and did it twice. 80 is my next goal!
snowaggie
Hey, way to go. I did the same exact thing last month. It just took me about 35 more years of play, but who's counting? We arrived at the same score down different roads....no doubles for me, but no birdies either.
Poot
Congrats! That's a huge milestone and a monster mental hurdle to clear.
Mr.Bond
AG
Congrats Jon. I know you've been working hard at it
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Interested in your next round score....
STX Ag
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

He'll be posting it on this thread:

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2483986

But seriously tho, way to go.
TyHolden
AG
Me too...on the front nine. Too many beers on the back nine. Couldn't hold it together.
schwabbin
AG
It's the greatest feeling. Congrats. I broke 80 last fall and now have 4 rounds under 80. It only gets more addicting.
jonj101
STX Ag said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Lol - 87 back at Golfcrest a few days later. Only hit four greens and took 31 putts. Certainly wasn't as focused or relaxed as the previous round. I know it'll be up and down, but I'm hoping to continue to trend in the right direction. It was funny when I entered the score on my GHIN that the response basically was "uhh..are you sure about this."

Thanks everyone - and Bond, hopefully if we get another round in my play actually reflects my progress.
AggieDruggist89
AG
schwabbin said:

It's the greatest feeling. Congrats. I broke 80 last fall and now have 4 rounds under 80. It only gets more addicting.

I beg to differ sir. Good golf is the 2nd best feeling in the world
jgh85Ag
AG
jonj101 said:

STX Ag said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Lol - 87 back at Golfcrest a few days later. Only hit four greens and took 31 putts. Certainly wasn't as focused or relaxed as the previous round. I know it'll be up and down, but I'm hoping to continue to trend in the right direction. It was funny when I entered the score on my GHIN that the response basically was "uhh..are you sure about this."

Thanks everyone - and Bond, hopefully if we get another round in my play actually reflects my progress.

Better than my 79 99 back in March.
thirty-two
AG
I remember shooting a 39 on the front 9 one time... such great momentum.

50 on the back.

F- golf.
SW AG80
AG
Cut out the really bad holes (the doubles) and consistently have less than 30 putts a round and you will be in the 70s a lot.

jonj101
SW AG80 said:

Cut out the really bad holes (the doubles) and consistently have less than 30 putts a round and you will be in the 70s a lot.

Unfortunately now I will have to wait to consistently apply those practices - had a sciatic flare up this past week.

Going to chiro and massage therapist to hopefully rectify it ASAP. For the long term I have to do more to strengthen my core and other related muscles.
SW AG80
AG
Sciatica ruins a golf game. Been there.
jonj101
SW AG80 said:

Sciatica ruins a golf game. Been there.

Anything work for you aside from what I mentioned?
Forum Troll
AG
If your back pain recurs you may want to check with a pro to see if anything in your swing contributes. Lots of amateurs restrict hip turn in back swing and/or have excessive right side bend/right shoulder drop in transition in an attempt to swing to right field, both of which are terrible for your lower back.
SW AG80
AG
Mine got really bad and was looking for and begging doctors to operate on me. I ended up going to AIRROSTI.
Some on here minimize what they do, but they did wonders for me. Airrosti.com.

The guy who worked on me gave me his cell number. I was in Lufkin for work (I live in San Antonio so the drive there was part of the problem) and that morning I tried to put on boots for the first time in at least a year. Obviously I was feeling better. Hurt my back again and call the Airrosti guy at 7:30 in the morning. He gave me some easy and simple exercises, told me to ice and come see him when I got home. All in all, it took me only about 6 months to go from wanting surgery to being pretty normal. Still did not play golf for a while. I still stretch before I go play golf. One of the disadvantages of getting older.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.