Bluejack

1,947 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCA1
Poot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I had the pleasure of playing Bluejack National on Thursday and I couldn't have been more impressed. I had played Blaketree many times over the years, through the good and bad (really bad). Point being, I was fully aware of the potential of that property. The opportunity came about because a buddy won the Bluejack outing at another charity tourney's silent auction. We were a foursome of guests...

General:

From the time you get there to the time you leave, they treat you like a rockstar... member or not. You can't help but notice that the employees out-number the golfers by what seems to be a 4-1 ratio. All eager to help, but not in an in your face way. The rules of the day... don't commit a violent crime. Basically, if you're supposed to get in the gate, you have your run of the place. Exclusivity at it's finest.

Facilities:

A work in progress due to the lack of a permanent clubhouse, but the temporary situation is quite nice as is. Nice range. ENORMOUS putting green and the par 3 course (The Playground) is a nice touch too.

They used the old "cottage" down the right hand side of old #1 (now #6) as a refreshment station (drinks, beer, snacks). This was a great touch and a nice throwback to it's roots... and adds (keeps?) a unique character to the place.

They are in the process of building a refreshment house on the ridge overlooking 12. (Par 3 where they chopped the old beastly par 4 #12 down to about a 160 yd par 3, which was a great move).

The Course:

Really beautiful, wall to wall. The amount of green and the contrast with the pines and the straw is wonderful on the senses. Zoysia tees and fairways make for immaculate lies every time. Slick bermuda greens with very little grain is about the courses' only defense (other than an uneven lie or 2 in the fairway).

Generally I love what Tiger did. A lot of the "wildness" that old Blaketree had has been softened and in some instances, completely removed. I don't think there's any question that it's an overall "easier" course, which isn't a bad thing. LOTS of trees and underbrush have been taken out, opening up HUGE panoramic views of the property. I feel like this part was expertly done.

The only recognizable holes from Blaketree are 1 (old#4), 2 (old #8, but softened green complex), 5 tee shot (old #5, but now a par 5), 6 tee shot (old #1), and 9 (old #3).

The Back 9 was totally re-worked. They used some of the existing corridors, but in most cases they reversed the routing. The old back 9 was the wildest part of that course, but now the holes are extremely playable with the greens being the primary defense.

Overall:

Tremendous. I can't wait to see how it matures. I really hope it gets the chance to. Though I was skeptical, after seeing the operation... they are really getting after it. I absolutely loved the place.

(Sorry, no pics as I turned my phone off once I got on property)

Mr.Bond
AG
Awesome. Been really dying to get on there, like you I played it a ton as a kid in junior HGA.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

aftershock
My brother caddied out there for a little over a year. The list of people he caddied for or saw out there is quite impressive. One day a week (maybe tuesdays) the course is closed and the employees have the opportunity to play, and the pictures he would send me were calendar worthy. He was completely spoiled.
JCA1
AG
Played it a couple times. Probably my favorite course in Texas.
Mr.Bond
AG
Do tell
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Goody
AG
Very nice course....pretty easy though. No rough so big numbers are much easier to avoid.

Only a couple memorable holes.....as far as design, a bunch of Texas courses I'd lit ahead of bj. It's a real estate play all the way
jja79
AG
Did they say anything about the clubhouse? I was told it would be done in 2016.
Poot
I didn't ask any particulars... I was too afraid they'd figure me out.

As fair as real estate... they are building several monsters down the left hand side of 10. I can only imagine things will ramp up once people understand how close the Aggie Expressway is going to be.
Gig-Em2003
AG
jja79 said:

Did they say anything about the clubhouse? I was told it would be done in 2016.
JCA1
AG
As I understand it, construction starts on the clubhouse this fall. Probably be the end of 2020 or early 2021 before it's done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.