Sun Protection

2,038 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Playing a lot more golf this year than in recent past + generally getting older has made me more aware of the amount of sun I get and trying to figure out ways to minimize.

Obviously I use sunscreen but I probably don't do it enough. Thinking about sleeves or pants, but curious if anyone has any ways that they minimize sunburn without getting heat stroke in Texas.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
You Asian?
terradactylexpress
Nope just a white boy, also can't get myself to pull the trigger on a bucket hay
TXAGGIES
Aim for the trees, plenty of shade
Forum Troll
AG
Just some sport spray sun block. Apply every 90 minutes.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
terradactylexpress said:

Nope just a white boy, also can't get myself to pull the trigger on a bucket hay
Observe and mimic the garb of the Asian golfer. They seem to cover up quite a bit.

And I don't care for bucket hat at all. Rather go with the Norman look than the jungle commando.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Phil says go for the Mizzen and Main long sleeve button down. Close that HR software deal, then celebrate by playing 18 holes

The Grinder (99)
AG
I grew up playing golf from sun up to sun down in Texas. We didn't even know what sun block was practically. Now I share your concern especially after several associates have developed melanoma in the past several years

I ordered a titleist Aussie hat. The thing is so dam big tho I can't bring myself to wear it

I did find a company called solbari that have some good stuff. They have sleeves that you just put on your forearms please to your bicep. They aren't that bad and add very little heat. The way they wick away sweat makes them feel cool a bit actually

But one thing you should definitely do is play in shirts specifically with sunblock. If not that, then synthetic shirts have much better sun block than cotton shirts. A plain Cotton shirt only has 2-6 spf. I have a fair amount of sun damage on my upper back and shoulders from golfing in cotton shirts when I was younger.
jefe95
AG
I played a few weeks ago with one of those fishing face shields around my neck. Not sure if that's golf course appropos but it worked like a charm on my neck. Good hat to cover ears and face.
jj9000
AG
What's wrong with good old fashioned SPF 30 before the round...and at the turn?

Seems like this overcomplicated.
lazuras_dc
AG
I used to just do sunglasses and ball cap and put sunscreen on before and at the turn. Being friends with a dermatologist really changes your perspective on things.

This summer, for the first time I started wearing a big straw hat. I was worried a little that it would look silly and get in the way of my swing. I've found it does not interfere with swing. The jury is still out on the looks.

Coolibar UPF 50+ Men's Fairway Golf Hat - Sun Protective (Large/X-Large- Antique Ivory) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021WJ38A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rkpbDbT9C33XD

And then those thin dry fit sleeves. Make's it look like you're wearing an under shirt. It really helps you stay cool IMO and protects from sun.

Aegend UV Protection Cooling Arm Sleeves for Men Women, Sun Sleeves to Cover Arm for Cycling, Outdoor Sports, White, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X92XFLB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yfpbDbJDP77HJ

Can't bring myself to wear pants.

And Yes, I'm Asian.
terradactylexpress
That's sunscreen every twoish hours, you still end up red/burnt
schwabbin
AG
sunscreen seems to do a good job if you're good about reapplying once or twice a round.
AustinCountyAg
Stage III melanoma survivor here. Never really used sunscreen until after my battle. Here is what I do now...

I try to avoid playing in the heat of the day but at times it can't be avoided. For sure I wear a bucket hat. Currently it's the old Norse from imperial, but I use multiple ones. Main thing is the brim can't be floppy. Nike makes a good one. I wear the sun sleeves always on the course. Really try to reapply sun screen on my legs and face every hour or two. Their is only so much you can do, but I try to to do as much as I can. I've tried wearing pants but it just sucks in the summertime. If you use enough sunscreen you won't burn.

With all that said I've come to love winter golf. Give me pullovers and pants all day.

Also you must wear good sunglasses. Melanoma can be developed on your eyes so good glasses are essential.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I don't care what I look like. I care I'm protected and kick everyone's ass. I have 3 of these and I wear it religiously. $14 on Amazon.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.