Unlimited Weekend Golf in Texas Recommendations

2,017 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Poot
aggiebonzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking into taking my best friend on a weekend golfing trip before his wedding. Would just be us and would prefer to stay around Austin or San Antonio area since neither of us has really played over there before. Only package I have looked into so far is the Omni Barton Creek resort in Austin and Friday-Sunday unlimited golf runs about $850/person. Is this one worth the $$$ or are there some better options that are more cost effective or more bang for your buck? Thanks!
putu
AG
Omni Barton Creek just reopened after a $150M re-imagination. It is spectacular! This renovation also included the courses.

What dates are you looking for?
"Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3). On the list of rare sights in Southern California, a team running the option -- as the Aggies like to do with QB Stephen McGee -- ranks right up there with real breasts and 12 inches of snow." Stewart Mandel CNNSI
bcanales05
AG
Have you looked into Horseshoe Bay?
aggiebonzo
AG
Friday-Sunday in early August or Mid September. It looked really nice and had four courses all highly rated. That's why I started my initial search there.
aggiebonzo
AG
No I haven't. Do they have multiple courses?
07fta07
AG
aggiebonzo said:

3 plus 1 private but if you can somehow get on there (Summit Rock) it's a great course. The other 3 are plenty good though.
Oknows
AG
07fta07 said:

aggiebonzo said:

3 plus 1 private but if you can somehow get on there (Summit Rock) it's a great course. The other 3 are plenty good though.

Ram Rock is one of the cruelest tracks I have ever played. Name checked out for sure.
07fta07
AG
As one of our guys said when we walked off 18 at Ram, "I know why they call it Ram Rock, because I'd rather ram a rock up my ass than play this course again".

It's tough, but fun if you're into torturing yourself. And it's a pretty course.
Floyd Falcon Sr
AG
aggiebonzo said:

Looking into taking my best friend on a weekend golfing trip before his wedding. Would just be us and would prefer to stay around Austin or San Antonio area since neither of us has really played over there before. Only package I have looked into so far is the Omni Barton Creek resort in Austin and Friday-Sunday unlimited golf runs about $850/person. Is this one worth the $$$ or are there some better options that are more cost effective or more bang for your buck? Thanks!
Are you looking to play high quality courses exclusively? - Thinking 36 holes each day? I would consider splitting it up between a few courses, especially that time of year. I've played essentially every course in the San Antonio area - and could have a serious good weekend for less than $850. The trick would be to play the nicer resorts in the afternoon rounds to avoid the high prices.

Could Stay at La Cantera in SA (36 holes) or just in the area around there pending your budget - Resort Course and Palmer Course there are both nice, though Palmer is Alwaaays super windy and that challenge is fun for some but mostly just pisses me off.

I'd recommend playing there one round on Friday to beat weekend rate as it's the most expensive resort style course in the area.

I'd play a weekend morning at the Quarry - Beautiful public course with links style. and some challenges and fun holes.

Personally I also really like Hyatt Hill Country resort. (27 holes). From experience playing 36 back to back to back in heat, A day of 27 may be pretty nice.

Summary (current rates per person):

Friday morning - La Cantera Resort Course ($95)
Friday PM - La Cantera palmer Course ($75)

Saturday Morning - 27 Holes at Hyatt Hill Country (~$175 - you'd have to call to see as all rates are fore 18)

Sunday Morning - The Quarry ($71-$82)
Sunday Afternoon - Olympia Hills or Brackenridge Park. Brack is fun and easy but usually in good shape, I've heard Olympia not in best shape right now but is a tougher course and I think they'll likely get it back.
Brack ($42-$77)
Olympia ($57)

Total is about $500 per person and that is a lot of golf, just have to drive a little bit.
aggiebonzo
AG
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful and might end up doing this. Do you know much the rates are for TPC San Antonio course?
Floyd Falcon Sr
AG
aggiebonzo said:

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful and might end up doing this. Do you know much the rates are for TPC San Antonio course?
It's pretty expensive (I think $200 ish) and I think you have to stay there to play. I've played a couple times with a member and the Oaks Course is really challenging and well set up, but I wouldn't say it's worth the price of admission. if you stayed there, it also is pretty far out of the way from any of the other courses.
Matsui
AG
Do you have access to deals at that Omni?
aggiebonzo
AG
Matsui said:

Do you have access to deals at that Omni?
interested as well
Austintm
I've played all of the Barton Creek courses multiple times (played Foothills again about a month ago), and have played 3 of the Horseshoe Bay courses (not Summit).

My thoughts:

Barton Creek is a nicer resort than HB. You will likely get better rates at HB. They are in the process of renovating the resort. I think that the hotel may be redone (stayed there about a year ago and our room was redone, but they were working on others). Food options are better at BC, and more around it. All that said, HB is a very nice resort.

Golf: Last time a HB was Ram Rock earlier this year. That course was redone last year. All of the courses are nice, all are challenging. I think the BC courses are a bit better.

If you can get a great deal at HB compared to BC, I'd think hard about going there. Nice place, good golf.
Ragoo
AG
If I had 3 days and my only goal was to play as much golf as possible and have a great time in the process I would try and squeeze 9 rounds in at Landa Park in New Braunfels. I would then eat dinner at Huisache or the gristmill and either drink at the Phoenix saloon or Gruene hall.
Goodnight Irene
AG
You could one night/two rounds at vaaler in blanco for $175 then cruise the short drive north and finish the weekend with 2-3 rounds at horseshoe bay
ChoppinDs40
AG
HSB and try to find a member at Escondido.
jja79
AG
My son and I just returned from 5 days at the JW San Antonio. Played both courses for $79 after 4pm. Both courses are good but the Oaks was in fantastic shape. Best part of staying/playing there is there's no traffic after 4.
putu
AG
Omni Barton Creek has several specials going on right now.

My two favorites are:

PGA Tour Package
1 Rd per day at Crenshaw or Palmer Lakeside (off site)
$75 resort credit per day
Welcome amenity- logo sleeve of balls, PGA Tour hat and F&B amenity

I picked August 16/17 weekend and its $493+tax and resort fee per night. So a little over $500 per person.

They also have a grand opening package which is a room plus $75 resort credit. That was only $224/night that same weekend. Might be better to do this package and then buy golf a la carte. Offer good through Labor Day.
"Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3). On the list of rare sights in Southern California, a team running the option -- as the Aggies like to do with QB Stephen McGee -- ranks right up there with real breasts and 12 inches of snow." Stewart Mandel CNNSI
Austintm
putu said:

Omni Barton Creek has several specials going on right now.

My two favorites are:

PGA Tour Package
1 Rd per day at Crenshaw or Palmer Lakeside (off site)
$75 resort credit per day
Welcome amenity- logo sleeve of balls, PGA Tour hat and F&B amenity

I picked August 16/17 weekend and its $493+tax and resort fee per night. So a little over $500 per person.

They also have a grand opening package which is a room plus $75 resort credit. That was only $224/night that same weekend. Might be better to do this package and then buy golf a la carte. Offer good through Labor Day.
Just FYI -- Palmer and Crenshaw are the "lesser" of the 4 courses; Foothills and Fazio Canyons are the prime courses. Palmer and Crenshaw are both very good courses, however. Palmer is about 25 miles form the hotel, though a pretty easy drive.
Poot
I've only played the Crenshaw, and I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. No experience on the others, but I've heard great things about Foothills and Canyons.

I've played Slick and Ram at HSB. Slick, while in good/great condition is the simplest of the courses there. It's the older members' preferred course. I may be in the minority here, but I'd still rather play Slick than the Crenshaw.

Ram is a beast, and scenic. Lots of birdie holes if you do it just right, lots of triple holes too. And they're often the same hole.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing Apple Rock, but the concensus seems to be that it's the pearl of the 3... Great track, fun, scenic, difficult but fairer than Ram.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.