Any of you played Prairie Dunes CC in Hutchinson, KS?

1,126 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gig-Em2003
Ag81Golf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Headed there Thursday morning with 11 other guys for an extended Father's Day weekend golf trip. Will be staying on site in the cottages. Plan is for 18 holes Thursday and Sunday with 36 holes on Friday and Saturday. I may only be good for 18 each day and spend the afternoon watching the US Open.

One of the guys in our group is a non-resident member thus the opportunity to stay and play.

If any of you have been do you have any tips or suggestions?

1872walker
Enjoy the trip. It's one of my favorite places in golf.

Superb course, very relaxed and inviting club, membership and staff.

You'll have a chipping green right outside your lodge for post dinner fun and wagering.

I'd never skip a round there but considering you'll be there for 4 days, 72 holes may be enough for you. If you're taking a cart, it shouldn't be an issue. But if you're walking, some of the climbs to tee boxes can get tiresome on the second round of the day. And the pull carts are terrible up the railroad tie steps so you may as well carry your bag.

Stay in the fairways. They burn the gunch every winter but it should be growing back pretty well by now. It's a bear and you're lucky to be able to play the ball if you can even find it.

Food is delicious and inexpensive.

It's the type of place that if it was on the West Coast or Long Island it would be top 5 in the country and would be impossible to get in.

It's exceptional.
Ag81Golf
Guess I need to pack at least a couple of dozen balls. We do not plan on leaving the property once there so it is greally to hear good things about the dining experience.

Thanks so much for the information!
GDP
Wonderful golf course - you will love it.
Top 25 in the US from a golf architectural standpoint.
Hard to believe there is such a great golf course in that location. Pretty bland all around there and then you see the dunes and the course. Have fun !
AgDotCom
Thanks for that great description, 1872. Makes me want to play it today. I've always been intrigued with that course, as well as that part of the country.

There are some great courses in the sand hills of Nebraska as well...Dismal River for instance. A little different topography than Kansas but same part of the country. Not sure why I'm fascinated with that region, but I am for whatever reason.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Awesome place! Played there with my Father back in April, along with Karsten Creek and Oak Tree National. It was my favorite of the three, but I loved all of them. The wind howled but it was such a beautiful course with so much movement. It was $360/person with cart, which was a big number but worth it in my opinion. Karsten is going to $400/round FYI. That's too much for that course but they raised the rates to discourage public play and keep it basically a private club for OK State.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.