Putting lessons - Houston

1,308 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mazag08
07fta07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a good recommendation for a putting instructor in Houston? I have someone I use for other aspects of the game but haven't been overly impressed with the putting side of it.
cjsag94
AG
Curious if putting lessons are really worth it (never taken any). Seems like it is such a comfort/feel shot that just spending time practicing isn't the better option. I always get a lot of mileage out of 30 minutes pitching and putting.
07fta07
AG
Short game work to me is all feel. I can replicate that from day to day. My putting stroke isn't the same from one day to the next so I need someone to work with me on it. It's the one thing holding me back from being a plus handicap and I haven't been able to nail it down. Time to let someone else look at it.
cjsag94
AG
My putting technique varies as well. Sometimes it's me changing things, other times it's inadvertent.

So how do putting lessons work? It just seems to me that there isn't a proper technique to apply. Seems every golfer uses a different grip/posture/stance/stroke and many combinations of those aspects. Does the instructor just try to find something in your technique that you are doing wrong and fix it.. or change your style more completely?

Not trying to derail your thread or argue.. I'm genuinely curious the extent that aspect of one's game is affected by lessons. I've considered it in the past but written it off as i just need to spend time on the green getting comfortable. Guess all this leads to what makes for a good putting instructor.

Btw, I'm no where close to a + handicap, so maybe that's why i struggle to find the benefit!
jonj101
I'd be interested in any suggestions as well. I've started reading Unconscious Putting and so far the information seems good and applicable, but Stockton so far seems to emphasize decluttering ones approach versus focusing on mechanics. Of course, that may be what I need...
mazag08
AG
If you have an inconsistent putting stroke, there's one fix.

Imagine the putting stroke as a pendelum. It goes forward as far as it goes back. Get in a comfortable stance and have enough waist bend that you can let your arms hang and swing like a pendelum. YOu might find your elbows are too stiff. Your arms need to be loose. After you've measured the break and speed, find a spot on the expected path about 5 ft in front of your ball. In your practice stroke, try to find the balance of the speed of the putt that will hit that spot. Remember, you are never pushing the ball, hitting the ball, poking the ball, or altering anything about your stroke. It's a pendelum that swings back and through. You should never accelerate any more than the back swing provides.
cjsag94
AG
Don't forget to move your change from left pocket to the right and turn your hat around!
Unemployed
AG
mazag08 said:

Imagine the putting stroke as a pendelum. It goes forward as far as it goes back.
Saw a video not long ago that based on SAM Puttlab data gathered from analyzing 99 tour pros' putting strokes, the length of the follow-through after impact is roughly twice as long as the backswing.

Found the video.

mazag08
AG
RealTalk said:

mazag08 said:

Imagine the putting stroke as a pendelum. It goes forward as far as it goes back.
Saw a video not long ago that based on SAM Puttlab data gathered from analyzing 99 tour pros' putting strokes, the length of the follow-through after impact is roughly twice as long as the backswing.

Found the video.

Probably so. It all comes back to feel and to train yourself to not push the ball. Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.