*** US Open ***

44,524 Views | 700 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Make your prediction:

Will Joe Buck or the USGA be more annoying this week?

I love it when the US Open is on the west coast. Just something fun about the leaders teeing off so late in the afternoon.
BreNayPop
AG
if the usga screws another course up, players are gonna boycott
LHIOB
AG
Check out the NLU Joe Buck podcast from last year. It will show him and the Fox crew in a different light.

40+ hours over the 4 days is amazing coverage.

Now the USGA on the other hand...
bagger05
AG
Buck is a popular punching bag and he seems pretty pretentious but I personally don't mind his PBP even on golf. Just know he's one of those that everyone loves to hate.

It is extremely annoying when he finds ways to somehow make golf about baseball, though.
Big Cat `93
AG
Buck's problem is that he's been saddled with two really cruddy color guys for baseball. Especially Tim McCarver. At least Smoltz doesn't talk down to the viewers or make all catchers appear to be Mensans. I'm cool with Buck's golf announcing. Don't watch a lot of NFL anymore, but he and Aikman are okay.
bagger05
AG
I'm going to try to get to know Pebble a little better this year. I know the iconic holes but the others seem pretty bland. I'm sure they have character and it's just that I'm not familiar with them.
SARATOGA
Joe Buck is terrible for people that watch golf on a weekly basis.

He doesn't know things that golf fans (and golfers) know about players.

Who is a long hitter / Who isn't a long hitter, and how that effects their strategy
Who has a great short game and who struggles.
Who is a great putter / who is a streaky putter
Who likes to hit a fade / who likes to hit a draw
Who plays with what clubs
Who is currently battling an injury / several injuries
What players have done in other majors / tournaments / historical achievements in context
What euro tour players have the best chance and why
What are the major issues with the game (courses, ball design etc).

He knows none of that. None of it. He just literally describes what just happened (which we can see), and depends on Faxon to actually say things about golf. The step from Faldo one week to Buck the next is BRUTAL. If you could pay $10 for a feed of Faldo announcing it from his living room I'd do it. Or Miller, or anyone who watches the tour on a weekly basis.

You can't pay attention to something once a year and be good at it, even if its all on paper in front of you. Too many players moving too fast to have to look down and read that DJ used to hit a draw and now prefers a fade, Rory prefers a draw, is streaky with wedges and putting, why tiger can struggle with a 2 way miss, and that his strategy won't be to hit many drivers because he is maybe the best iron player ever.

Joe announces it like a popularity contest. Its miserable. If I know more than you, I don't want to hear from you. And its hard to just hear Faxon who actually might have something useful to say.
jj9000
AG
Trains
Trains everywhere
Did you guys see the trains?
bagger05
AG
Dude this is a safe place. You don't have to hold anything back.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Joe Buck is always the answer when asking what is more annoying. Keep hoping Aikman bodyslams him one day.
Big Cat `93
AG
I'll take Buck over listening to Terry Gannon and Bill Macatee uptalk.
GIF Reactor
AG
Just mute the TV and let your stress melt away...

Or try to train your mind to have a positive connotation with whatever the hell annoys you about Joe Buck / USGA. For example, every time Joe Buck relates golf to baseball, have a sip of beer. For every time we hear about how you could lose a small child in the rough, or did you know the greens are small and fast this week?, reward yourself with a trip over to Old Rivalries to peruse whatever rendition of "Please Consider This" that board is on now.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace

GIF Reactor
AG
And at least it isn't McCord and Kostis.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Heading out there. Procrastinated and didn't buy tickets. Sold out

Hope to scalp some cheap ones Thursday AM!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jim has been hitting the hair transplant surgery hard this offseason
Aggie369
AG
I'm pretty sure Joe is a pretty good golfer himself
WhoopN06
Isn't it kind of Faxons job as the color guy to know a lot of the information you're referencing?
SARATOGA
Too bad he never gets a chance to get a word in edgewise against the constant flow from Buck.
Pignorant
AG
I'm pretty sure Shane Bacon who is the other announcer grew up in Marshall.
Aggie369
AG
Shane Bacon is also atleast a scratch golfer
bagger05
AG
Sorry I got this thread off to the wrong start. Less talk about Buck, more talk about the tournament!

Who would you LOVE to see win?

Anyone you'd HATE to see win?

Who do you think WILL win?
bagger05
AG
LOVE: So many choices. Would be fun to see someone get their first like Kuchar, Sneds, or Fowler. Or even Xander so he can officially arrive as part of the crew of great young players. Would also love to see a blast from the past. Luke Donald is in the field? I think it'd be awesome if someone like that we haven't heard from in forever had a great week out of nowhere. Would also love to see Tiger since I'm a fan and it's great for the game. Same for Phil. Complete the grand slam AND be the oldest major winner? Or Koepka. Let the legend continue to grow.

HATE: I know I just said I'd love to see Tiger or Phil win, but part of me would hate it. The coverage would be brutal. Main thing is just don't give me a runaway or a winning score of -9.

THINK: Don't think Pebble sets up as well for Koepka as Bethpage but he's just so good. I think he's starting to get to the level of "He's the favorite at majors until he shows us that he shouldn't be."
Icecream_Ag
S
bagger05 said:

Sorry I got this thread off to the wrong start. Less talk about Buck, more talk about the tournament!

Who would you LOVE to see win?

Anyone you'd HATE to see win?

Who do you think WILL win?

Phil
Speith
Jt
Aggie369
AG
Phil or Tiger
Poulter
Koepka (until he doesnt win I have to pick him)
The Shank Ag
Tiger

Phil

Tiger or Molinari
AggieDruggist89
AG
I predict I will be there.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Tiger

Sergio, is he playing?

Koepka
SARATOGA
I like it when players who have already won majors win the majors. It keeps the majors more exclusive. Tiger has won the most majors of anyone playing. I also wouldn't mind the DJ gets revenge story considering how he choked away the 2010 Open, and a crappy ruling cost him that years PGA. I feel like he's owed another major.

I don't like it when people win a major for the first time. It makes "winning majors" less exclusive. Yes I realize that everyone has to win their first at some point - but I don't like one offs (Immelman, Ogilve, Glover, Willet etc.) - and I've got a US bias except for Rory. So I don't want a non-us player to win.

Koepka or Spieth. You gotta knock BK off the block before you can say he's not the favorite, and Spieth is trending with the putter and his erratic driver won't be called upon this week as much.

Old Tom Morris
I want to see Phil shake off the 2nd place demon.. 2nd greatest golfer of my generation, and I'd like to see him close out the career Grand Slam.
watty
AG
That list of complaints about Buck is ridiculous
watty
AG
I don't think Koepka/DJ/Rory/Tiger wins this one. To me this is going to be one of those ones where a Webb Simpson type guy wins. Bethpage was easy to predict. It was a bomber's course. This course is not like that. With Spieth rounding into form, he actually might win this time.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
watty said:

To me this is going to be one of those ones where a Webb Simpson type guy wins.

yuck.

Quote:

With Spieth rounding into form, he actually might win this time.

double yuck.
watty
AG
Oh I agree with your sentiment. I'm hoping for Tiger or, if not him, Rory or DJ.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i have unhealthy dislike of spieth that i can't quite explain, and it has nothing to do with where he went to school.

dude just seems like such a little b****.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.