Why...

1,520 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cjsag94
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do I strike the ball more accurately, with better results, when I choke down on the club? I've thought about this all weekend, and can't figure out why this helps me out so much, but it does.
_lefraud_
AG
Shorter clubs mean less chance of a user error from said user's swing?
Aggie369
AG
Hitting in the center of the face is easier with shorter clubs...or do u think it's something else like swing related or maybe due to arm length/height u need to play shorter clubs
DannyDuberstein
AG
The generic answer would be that it shortens the club giving you more control. But one other factor in is the grip is skinnier. So you might try playing a skinnier grip. So It's possible your hand action is a bit more solid and consistent. Could regroup a couple of clubs, not choke down, but see if you see the same benefit.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
When was the last time you replaced your grips?
Buford T. Justice
AG
I think that this has something to do with it, and may actually be the primary reason. I'm 6' and my shirt sleeve length is 34, so my arms are shorter than average. I think that by choking down, it helps me unknowingly improve my set up angle, and allows my arms to hang more naturally. Just my amateur thoughts.

For reference, I was fitted for my irons over a decade ago, and while the timing isn't really germane to my comments, I will say that I wasn't overly impressed with the fitting process that I went through at the time.
Buford T. Justice
AG
A coupe of years ago, so it's probably time to get them regripped.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Do I strike the ball more accurately, with better results, when I choke down on the club? I've thought about this all weekend, and can't figure out why this helps me out so much, but it does.
Maybe a little more confidence also? Makes a huge difference when you "know" you are set up for a better shot versus "hoping" you hit it well.
ORAggieFan
It's easier to control a shorter club. Club makers want to advertise distance, so make shafts longer.
birdman
Maybe your typical posture is too upright. When you choke down, it might put you slightly lower and better posture.
cjsag94
AG
Why are you choking down? I'm assuming you do this because you are trying to take distance off the shot. If so, then it may be that you are also taking a shorter back swing and slowing down a bit as well.

In other words, it may have less to do with choking down and more to do with the swing you take on those shots? Maybe you are over swinging on your natural shots?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.