Odessa Quarter Century Calcutta tops $1MM!

14,620 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rubble
Westicles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag81Golf said:

Going to try and get an update from my buddy out there as to how low those guys are going.

Leaders are at -17 through day 2.

-17, -16, -15, -14 (x2), -13, -11 (x3)... all the way down to 2 teams over par, last being at +2.

The -16 team went -11 today for day money.
Ag81Golf
Thanks for the update! Eleven under for the day is stout!
ORAggieFan
I'm assuming a lot of the money coming in isn't from the players. What is their incentive to win?

I play in a member/guest with a Calcutta. No where near this money. Every team can buy half their team for a set price. It is the other half that goes into the auction.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm guessing it's best ball? Scores don't seem low enough for scramble. Even for best ball, I thought scores might be lower with these types of players. Don't see how a championship flight team is over par. Maybe the course/wind is tough.
WestTexAG
AG
As far as the big money, yes most comes from players outside the championship flight but some of these guys do have themselves completely. In order to even walk into the room on Wednesday night during the Calcutta, one must either be a member of OCC or a player in the tournament.

As far as the motivation to do well, the winners USUALLY get a pretty nice tip from whoever had them in the Calcutta. A buddy of mine won it 15 years ago or so and he got $10,000 as a tip. The Quarter Century is also pretty prestigious in that flight so all these guys really want to win it regardless of how much they get paid.
WestTexAG
AG
Yes, best ball. Few of the big tournaments in this part of the world are scrambles.
Westicles
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm guessing it's best ball? Scores don't seem low enough for scramble. Even for best ball, I thought scores might be lower with these types of players. Don't see how a championship flight team is over par. Maybe the course/wind is tough.

Dude, the -11 yesterday by the team currently in 2nd was a 64 and a 67. I'm assuming they're playing from the back tees which means it's probably around 7,000 yards. That's pretty damn good golf in my book. Plus I'm sure the course isn't set up particularly easy. But yeah, the over par ones are surprising for sure.

Wind has been down this week in WTX, like 5 mph or less since Wednesday. Also supposed to be hot as balls today at 102*.
ORAggieFan
36/day every day?
Matsui
AG
Wow. Impressive.
ORAggieFan
Looks like 7400 yards from the tips, but under normal conditions only plays a 72.5 rating. I'd guess the greens alone have it playing more difficult.
WestTexAG
AG
Leaders ran away with it today. -26 for the win.
1990AG
AG
You a member out there? One of our assistants left us here in GA to go there. I told him it would be a blast but haven't gotten out there to play.

WestTexAG
AG
No sir, I'm a member at SACC, but I do happen to know the winners this year. I know several members at OCC though and like to folllow the quarter century.
1990AG
AG
Were the winners the $1MM Calcutta guys?

WestTexAG
AG
I'm trying to find out how much of an interest they had in themselves, but yes, whoever owns them will cash a huge portion of that $1MM.
1990AG
AG
That's pretty cool. They must have been runaway favorites to the point that I'm surprised those other teams got as high priced as they did.

Generally, if we do not take our own team, the guy that buys us offers a split which we generally take(the only reason we don't take ourselves every time is due to the high price). Every time we have won in that scenario we get our percentage of the take. In cases where we didnt split, the owner gives us a "tip". Might be 5% or so, but never more than that in my experience.

leachfan
Results are in golf genius app.

Code = QC2019

Guys I know we're one of the 130-140k teams and finished 5th. I heard they did not buy any of their own Calcutta money.
bicmitchum
back to the money.based on what I have seen,alotta times one guy does the bidding but a alotta guys are in on it.a partnership/syndicate kinda deal.btw if anybody hears about big Calcutta involving synchronized swimming let me know.i am getting pretty good.btw caught the tin cup thing.hated the end of that show. I can hit that shot.after the the first one,just lay up dumbass
WestTexAG
AG
Definitely done as group buys, yes.
WestTexAG
AG
The winners sold for $65k and it doesn't sound like they owned any of it themselves. I didn't ask about any tipping action, but at this point I don't know that they would say one way or the other.
rosshoss00
AG
Leachfan, I gotta know who you are. Give me a name or initials, something lol
leachfan
rosshoss00 said:

Leachfan, I gotta know who you are. Give me a name or initials, something lol
I think I know who you may be. We have never played together, but you will recognize me. I'll holler at you next time I see you.
texag_89
Matsui said:

With real money like that you can't have any typical scramble hustlers. it is a good way for someone to get killed.

/\
This

..... especially in Odessa.

JBAB
How much of the $1mil+ did the owners of the winning team take home?
Rubble
AG
There is a prominent Ag that typically spends a lot of money in this Calcutta every year, don't know if he bought into the winning team or not this year, but he also plays in it every year as well. He was, at one point, the president of the board of club.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.