Odessa Quarter Century Calcutta tops $1MM!

14,472 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rubble
WestTexAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Odessa Country Club's Calcutta was last night and hit 1,059,00.00 for the championship/president's flight. A ton of money for "amateur" golf!
lazuras_dc
AG
Can someone explain Calcutta to me? I sort of get the concept....

Does a bid mean you pay or only if your bid wins?

So for Example Teams 1-5.

Everyone knows team 5 is the best. So everyone bids on them and pays that amount. The highest bidder wins the money if team 5 actually wins?

OR

Some people bid on 5 but only 1 winner takes 5 as highest bidder. And then a few bid on team 4 and only 1 winner takes 4 as highest bidder. 5 wins. So winner of 5 takes the money of whoever bid on team 4?

Is it live auction style? Or on paper before the tourney starts?
Westicles
AG
lazuras_dc said:

It's a Dick measuring contest
07fta07
AG
It's a live auction. You buy a team. If the team that you buy wins, you collect the money in the pot. Only 1 person buys each team (the highest bidder).

Simple Ex: team 1 sells for 100, team 2 for 200, team 3 for 300. There's 600 in the pot. You bought team 1 for 100 and they win. You collect 600. Now, generally money is split 1st 2nd 3rd, but that's just a rough example.
leachfan
Westicles said:

lazuras_dc said:

It's a Dick measuring contest
Especially in Odessa. Smallest usually bids highest.
re_g07
I know one year, one guy bought the top 4 highest bid teams in the Calcutta that hit over $600,000 if that tells you anything.
Westicles
AG
That particular Calcutta at OCC has payouts of:

1st: 30%
2nd: 15%
3rd: 10%

Daily low rounds: 10% and 5% (3 round tourney).

Only the top 25 or so teams were auctioned off in that one. Rest just have a players pool. Those Top 25 teams (50 guys) are mainly all ex-pros, ex-aspiring pros and at a minimum ex-College golfers.
lazuras_dc
AG
I imagine tourney keeps some. Such as the case of a fundraiser? Reason I'm asking is the local Aggie club throws an annual golf tourney and this could be something fun to incorporate.
Matsui
AG
With real money like that you can't have any typical scramble hustlers. it is a good way for someone to get killed.
Westicles
AG
Yeah it would have to be somewhat policed internally. Meaning, everyone in that OCC tournament/Calcutta knows everyone else. This is also a 2-man tourney so the other team in the group can watch to know if there was cheating involved. And it's a gross event (no strokes given based on handicap).

You start talking a 4-man event, or a handicapped event and that opens a whole bunch of potential cheating issues. Especially with large amounts of money.
ORAggieFan
lazuras_dc said:

I imagine tourney keeps some. Such as the case of a fundraiser? Reason I'm asking is the local Aggie club throws an annual golf tourney and this could be something fun to incorporate.

Usually not, all the money is paid out.
powerbelly
AG
lazuras_dc said:

I have played in a few charity golf tournaments with a calcutta and the funds are never shared with the charity. It is just an incentive to get more players out.
dallasiteinsa02
ORAggieFan said:

lazuras_dc said:

Usually not, all the money is paid out.

The house taking a cut would be defined as gambling and illegal in the State of Texas.
lazuras_dc
AG
understood. thanks!
DOCAG79
AG
That Calcutta is only for the Championship Flight. The other flights are normal. I heard that a team with a +1 and a 0 were delegated to the First Flight! There are so great players out there! Crazy money out there!
Rubble
AG
I grew up in Odessa and my dad played in the QC every year until about 5 years ago. There is nothing like it that I am aware of. I am not surprised by this amount, especially with the oil boom. I also grew up with the GM. They recruit guys to play to get more money.

The Calcutta goes right back to those who bought in. The house keeps nothing, as someone said, because that would be illegal.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
what team is roy mcavoy on? surely somebody scooped him up from the waffle house.
bicmitchum
gross event,two man teams playing in 4somes.that is some real action.are these guys coming off mini tours etc
AggiePride07
AG
ruddyduck said:

what team is roy mcavoy on? surely somebody scooped him up from the waffle house.

"It WAS Odessa"
bicmitchum
who is roy mcavoy
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
AggiePride07 said:

ruddyduck said:

"It WAS Odessa"

glad somebody got it.
Ag81Golf
Have a friend that has a coworker playing in the Championship flight. Their team went for $147,000.00.

They were 8 under today. Not sure what place they are in.
leachfan
I heard 3 teams went for $140k, $140k and $130k

Give or take
03_Aggie
bicmitchum said:

who is roy mcavoy

Tin Cup
Westicles
AG
leachfan said:

I heard 3 teams went for $140k, $140k and $130k

Give or take

Yep, there were only those 3 teams in 6 figures. 4th highest team was $95K.

Gotta say, paying $140K to win 30% of a $1MM... 2:1 are terrible odds. More money than sense out here in the Permian Basin.
AgDotCom
About 20 years ago I would play in a "triathlon" where the 3 events were golf, skeet shooting, and 42 dominoes. We played a few years at The Falls and had a calcutta go over $40,000. 48 players that year, and you drew teams after the calcutta auction determined you to be an "A" or "B" player. Not bad for a bunch of weekend warriors.

Also went to a skeet shoot outside of Beeville that had South Texas aristocracy folks there, some calcuttas there got close to $80K. It was funny to hear some of the good shooters speak to the people who bought them in the calcutta. A guy would miss a shot or two on purpose then say "Well, my eyesight is getting bad, I think it'll get better if you cut me in on another 10%"
Westicles
AG
Looks like the team that won day money (10%) yesterday on Day 1 went for $21K.... 5 to 1 on your money the first day wouldn't be too shabby!
Ag81Golf
Going to try and get an update from my buddy out there as to how low those guys are going.
SW AG80
AG
I grew up in west Texas and played golf all over the place. In the 1970s and '80s clubs kept 10% of the calcutta $$. When the money started getting too big the calcuttas got too much publicity. The local DAs started getting heat to put a stop to the calcuttas so clubs quit taking a cut.

The first to cause big problems was the Roping Fiesta in San Angelo ever November. Gamblers from Vegas started flying in and throwing really big $$ around.I went to that calcutta in 1984 or 1985 when I was assistant DA in Tom Green County. I had already been told that the group who put on the roping took a cut. When the pot got over $1M I knew things had gotten out of hand. About 5 years later that calcutta was shut down after threat of prosecution from the newly elected DA. The calcutta at SACC fell soon after.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Play in a calcutta that a cut goes back to the club. It's billed as a member meeting and such which doesn't make it legal but hey, who cares. I don't have any problem with that if it helps the club set things up for the tournament and they return the interest into the course over time.

It sure as hell isn't in the same ballpark as that O&G craziness.
SW AG80
AG
I don't have a problem either. The problems in San Angelo with the Vegas gamblers coming in created all the dust up.
leachfan
I would be worried about a team taking a dive for that kind of money.
SW AG80
AG
And with Vegas people involved that was probably a possibility.
WestTexAG
AG
The SACC Partnership Calcutta and Concho Classic Calcutta are both back. Last year it was over $100,000 for he Partnership, and the Concho was $25,800. The nfr calf roping Calcutta gets pretty big now here as well, but no one takes a cut there either.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Agree. A small, tight club only has a couple of sandbaggers and they all know each other. I can only imagine what can happen with that many teams and that kind of money.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.