New Club Advice

1,546 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jimbo457
jimbo457
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy all. I've been considering a new set of irons and I'm not really sure which way to go. I figured there might be a few on this board with some useful input so I thought I might throw it out there and see what some thoughts are.

I currently play Callaway Big Bertha irons, 2006 models. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a good golfer, probably around a 20-25 HC due largely to the fact that I've never had any lessons and I haven't played much in the last few years. When I play more regularly I'm probably closer to the 20 HC range.

Here's my dilemma, I really like the look and styling of a blade but I'm smart enough to know that this would only frustrate me and cause me to lose some interest in hitting the golf course regularly, I just don't have the game for them. My current clubs are old and needing to be re-gripped something fierce and well, maybe it's time to get something more pleasing to my eye.

Any thoughts on something like a Titleist AP1 or Mizuno MP-18 MMC? Is there any legitimacy to the line of thinking that a club designed less like an ashtray might give me more constant feedback and therefore help me make adjustments to my game? Any other suggestions or anyone been in the same boat?
jj9000
AG
Play whatever looks and feels best to you. There's no rules against a 20 Cap bagging players irons.

With that said... there's nothing wrong with those 2006 Cally Big Bertha's. If I remember correctly...that model has red in the cavity and they're very forgiving and easy to hit. You might see marginal improvement with newer model AP1 or MMC...but likely not much.

You'll see the fastest improvement with a couple of lessons and some time on the range.

BreNayPop
AG
get into one of your regular playing stretches for a month, then go get fit for irons. that way your swing will be as good as you can make it, and you can try lots of irons. if you dont hit something well that initially "looks good", it will be more hindrance to play. im not a brand snob- try everything. if you hate it standing over it, dont waste your time trying to buy the name on the back of it.

93MarineHorn
AP1's would be a great choice if you like the way they look at address. I played AP1s for several years and loved them. They are forgiving and long. I'm considering selling my current irons (Srixon 565) and going back to Titleist. They have a better feel at impact.
NColoradoAG
Putting on new grips that fit you well can sometimes feel like getting brand new clubs. Spend an hour deep cleaning your clubs and get the grooves nice and clean. I'd do that first, practice a lot over a few weeks, and if you still want something new then go hit a bunch of different irons and find what fits your eye and swing.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I play 25 year old oversize Mizuno Sure irons. It has sensicore shock dampener. I'm not sure how much I would improve by using a newer set.

I can pretty much hit everywhere on the face and it makes the ball go.
leachfan
AggieDruggist89 said:

I play 25 year old oversize Mizuno Sure irons. It has sensicore shock dampener. I'm not sure how much I would improve by using a newer set.

I can pretty much hit everywhere on the face and it makes the ball go.
My bubble-shaft feel better. At least that's what she said.
14TheRoad
AG
I think there is value playing an iron that challenges you rather than playing the biggest, most forgiving iron on the market. From personal experience my swing and game got significantly better when i moved from a game improvement iron (Cleveland TA7) to a players iron (712 AP2). While i hit the TA7 pretty well there was no feedback whatsoever, as long as i didn't chunk it the ball would fly well, it was just all over the place. Once i switched to the AP2 i could tell if i hit the ball on the toe, on the heal, low, high or sweet. I like the immediate feedback and the feel of flushing a shot on a forged players iron.

Not sure about the Mizuno MMC but i would think a Titleist AP1 would be good for a 20 HCP. Get what you like, pound the range, get some lessons and go from there.
jimbo457
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think it's very logical to work a bit to get some consistency in my game and then give some newer clubs a try and just see how they feel. More and more I believe that lessons are appropriate too. Thanks again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.